Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Another Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Engine

I have a 95 toyota truck 4x4 with the 22re in it.Engine went nad so I found a 92 toyota truck 4x4 with the 22re.Going to install this this week and wanted to ask a coupla questions.First the guy gave me his computer off the old truck plus the wiring harness.Can I use my harness with the other engine I am putting in or do I need to use his that came with his truck.And what about the computer.Keep mine or put his in.Thanx in advance
Old 09-29-2013, 06:42 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Don't think anything besides the motor needs to be swapped, but I will let some more seasoned engine guys chime in should be an easy swap besides mix and matching whatever parts are in better shape
Old 09-29-2013, 07:42 PM

another engine

Yeah I was sure hoping I could just drop in the engine without any hassles.Got all new timing components water pump clutch just wasnt sure of the computer and wiring harness.Appreciate your quick reply.I seen where the wiring harness goes thru the firewall by the brake master cyl is that where the other end plugs into the fuse box?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
If your just using the long block you should be able to drop the block in and bolt your efi parts on. If you are replacing it all plenum injectors the works. Then it might be easier if you use the harness that came with the new motor.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:37 AM

another engine

okay.I did the swap last night.It came with the wiring harness and computer.I unbolted the wiring harness to the computer I believe i'll use the one that came with the engine.Think it will be easier.Ill let you know how it goes .Thanx again.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are switching motors from an auto to manual or visa versa (leaving tranmission intact though), you're going to notice some cables and wiring connectors that don't have a home. Just a heads up.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:11 PM

another engine

I don't know what happened to my post that I just posted but here I go again.I did the swap of the engines and mine is running great.I have 2 problems now 1 is I'm missing a connector for the oil sending unit.I used his old wiring harness.I threw my old one away.This one has a plug missing for the oil sending unit. where can I get one of these plugs.Would Toyota have it being that old? The junk yards around here are scarce on Toyotas.Also a big problem I have is I have a hose that is leaking gas and I don't know where it goes.Its on the passenger side of the truck back by the firewall it will leak gas while the truck is running.The guy has a bolt stuck into but it leaks gas still.Have no idea where it goes.My engine is runnung so I know I hooked up the gas line from the filter.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold Start Injector? Nothing else should be getting fuel, unless the hosing is hooked up really wrong (like fuel hooked up to an air hose).
Old 10-04-2013, 09:18 PM

another engine

Ill look at the hoses tonite when I get off.Think everythings hooked up right.I know there is a metal gas line hooked up to the center of the plenum.Ill look where the hoses go to off the cold start injector.I can't find any pictures or diagrams of the hoses coming off the cold start injector.This hose thats leaking gas isnt long enough to reach that anyway I dont think.Its right up against the pass side firewall and has like an extra layer of a bla k foam insation around it.Cant find a way to send any pics.But ill look farther into where the other end of that hose goes to.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:04 AM

Another Engine

I just checked the hose that leaks gas.It's up against the firewall on pass side.Bolted to firewall.I followed the line and it runs back to the gas tank.Looks like it goes to the top of the tank where the fuel pump is.The other end that is in the engine bay is still loose.Thats where I seen gas dripping out of.Anyone know where this hose should be plugged into?
I see no empty hose nipples on fuel rail and on the intake.Apparently there is a hose on the engine I put in that is already hooked up going nowhere but I cant seem to find it.Need to know where this fuel line from the gas tank goes to on the engine.Thanx a million and pics of where it goes would really be great.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Evap canister?
Old 10-05-2013, 05:39 AM

Do you have a fuel return hose going from the fuel pressure regulator to the fuel tank?
Attached Thumbnails Another Engine-toyotafuelpressureregulator.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 02:31 PM

another engine

I guess thats where it goes.Man I appreciate all the help.Couldnt find that hose for nothing.Ill look tonite when I get home.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:07 PM

another engine update

The hose that was leaking gas is fixed.Thanx to everyone.I ran the truck with the other engine tenant up the road it ran great but when I got back I checked it out and sure enough the head gasket is blown.I took the head in to get it looked at and I got it back and put it back on with a new head gasket. machine shop said it looked really good. they took off 5000 of an inch and said it wasn't in too bad of shape.But now after installing the head gasket I am having a problem. I can't get it started. the only thing I did different was to install new terminals for the battery. all it does is make a whining noise sounds like it's coming from the starter relay. I am so frustrated with this little toy right now. battery is fully charged and I don't know where to look from here. before I took that head of it started right up first crank. headlights ham radio work but when you turn the key for the starter nothing I check the plug going to the starter and it is not getting voltage.12 volts to the big wire but when I turn the key to start no voltage to the little wire plug going in to starter.I never even looked at it today just frustrated.HELP!!!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:22 PM

I have had starting problems that sound similar to yours. I think they were caused by bad connections to the starter. The big wire carries 12 volts except that has to carry a lot of amps to turn the starter. The meter could say 12 volts to the big wire and still not have a good connection.

The little wire attached to the starter only has 12 volts when the starter switch is in the start position not the on position so that is hard to check. Could you be sure there is no voltage to the little wire when the starter switch is in the start position?

I had the buzzing sound when the big cable attaching to the starter was corroded and blue where the cable meets the cable end at the starter. I also had the buzzing sound when the rubber boot over the big cable at the starter was full of antifreeze after flushing the radiator. The antifreeze must have been grounding the 12 volts so the starter didn't get enough amperage. Now I don't have a rubber boot at all. I have also had the buzzing sound from a bad connection at the battery. That should be fixed already if you repaced your terminal clamps correctly.

None of these problems is very serious so just be methodical. I like to disconnect the battery when checking the starter connections to prevent accidental sparks. Also be sure the transmission is in neutal and the parking brake applied to prevent a runaway if the engine starts when testing the starter.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:38 PM

another engine

thanks for the quick reply. I had my son turn the ignition switch to the start position while I check that wire going to the starter there was no voltage on the little wire. I check the battery terminals and cleaned everything up the only thing I did was put new terminals on. I am going to check it tonight I am going to check the grounds and the wire going from the terminal into the fuse box. has to be something simple . I did take the ground of the head when I took the head off but I put it back on. there was two of them going to the firewall I only have one now I don't know if that would cause this problem. I'll check all the engine grounds . add another one from the exhaust manifold to the firewall. take the big one off of the AC hold down and clean it up again. also I will check the big wire going to the starter and make sure it has voltage.Thanx again.I think its a ground problem more than a power problem.Just so frustrated had to let it sit for a day.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:00 AM

another engine

I got home and I took all the grounds off the 22re.Sanded them down and made sure they were clean and reattached them.Cleaned the new terminals up again.The truck will not crank.Battery voltage is to the starter big wire.I can put one lead on the pos on battery and the other on any of the grounds I cleaned and I read battery voltage.When I try to start I get nothing no click nothing.Battery is fully charged and I even put a charger on with a battery start button on it with no luck.Wont start with the clutch pedal pushed in or with the bypass button pushed in.
The only thing I did before this was to take the head off and take it to the shop to get milled.Reinstalled and this is what I get.Has to be something simple I am overlooking.
Man any advice is sure welcome.I need to get this truck running.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:12 AM

another engine

Sorry I wanted to edit my last post but couldn't find out how.Whenever I try to start the truck no clicking and no sound but I checked the headlights and they do not dim.Not any at all if that helps someone that may think they know whats wrong.Appreciate all the help.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:02 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Check/replace: Starter solenoid, starter, ignition switch, maybe even clutch pedal safety switch?

TO be honest, I read your posts, but I got jumbled up on this item... did you say you checked the power to the starter solenoid while your son was trying ot start it and you got no power? Or, did you get power to the solenoid but no power to the big wire to the starter motor? I'm sure you know, but the big wire to the starter motor should always be hot... at least on the 3VZE.

Also, other than the ignition switch, there may be a starter relay/switch, I don't know the 22RE, but there are basic components.

I'm curious to know what the problem was
Old 10-10-2013, 06:04 AM

Well that does sound like there is no voltage from the little wire to the starter solenoid. Maybe the starter relay is involved as you first thought. If you were very careful you could make a hot wire to plug into the starter and touch on the battery post to make sure the starter turns. Be sure the truck is in neutral and the parking brake applied.
There should be a little 'edit' button below your post if you are still logged in.
Attached Thumbnails Another Engine-toyotastarterrelay.jpg  

Quick Reply: Another Engine