86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Am I being treated fairly by Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I being treated fairly by Toyota?

I own a 1990 4-Runner (V6 & 4WD) that has 307,000 miles on it. I have owned this vehicle for 18 years. I brought the truck into the dealership after I determined a whining noise I was hearing was coming from behind the cover for the timing belt. I unhooked all of the other belts and the noise is still there at all speeds.

History on the truck: All of the timing belts have been done at a Toyota dealership but all other work on the truck has been done by me. I only have 25,824 mile since the last timing belt was done and now I am being told that both idlers for the timing belt are bad and the water pump is leaking. The water pump was replaced during the previous timing belt work. It was not leaking I just have the water pump replaced every other timing belt. I only have 84,320 miles on latest water pump.

Here are my concerns:
1) Should Toyota do anything for me to have the water pump fail with only 84,320 miles?
2) The latest dealership is also telling me that my head gaskets are leaking which I know to be true. The issue with this is that head gaskets were replaced 150,657 miles ago during the Toyota head gasket recall. Should heads be leaking now and should Toyota stand behind the previous work they did?
3) I was just informed of a recall that I never heard about for the AC expansion valve. Never got a call or card about this one and the truck has been to numerous Toyota dealers for timing belts since the recall was started. The service writer didn’t want me to do this as “if your AC stops working after this repair it is on you to fix.” This is after I was told they didn’t have any Freon nor anyone trained in how to charge the system.

I totally understand this is an extremely old vehicle with a lot of miles. I am not trying to get something for nothing. I just want to know if my concerns about Toyota not standing behind their parts (water pump) nor the work done previously to fix the head gasket problem is a valid issue.
Please don’t be bashful and let me know you thoughts or what I can do to resolve these issues.

Thank you,
Gravely_Man
Old 02-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

300K for truck, 150K for head gasket I'd call it good, may want to think of a full rebuild at this point.

Water pump, you own it.

Recall, if it works now don't let them touch it.

Have a good one.

Repo
Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
1. After 84K miles? You're kidding right?

2. After 150K miles? See above.

3. It's a 21 year old truck with a bazillion miles. See above.

Be thankful it's lasted that long with a 3.turd motor and you haven't had to replace it.

Time to trade in.

:wabbit2:
Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 AM

I wouldn't complain any about a vehicle lasting over 300k miles with only routine maintenance. Gaskets, waterpumps and such are routine maintenance. Once your car is out of the factory warranty your really on your own and shouldn't expect much more from the dealer. Unless the replacement parts have warranties you have no argument. An engine with that many miles is also going to wear out parts faster.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hm, my impression was that Toyota specs replacement of the idlers in a timing belt replacement. I don't remember as it's been so many years since I've let a dealer touch my truck. Take a look at the service order from that job and see if they charged you for idlers. If so, then 26k is way too soon for an idler to go. In my experience, the upper idler lasts two changes of the belt (assuming Toyota parts). The lower USED to last two changes, but this last time my lower needed replacement after only one change (70k miles).

Water pump, I'm with you that 84k is a very short lifespan for an Aisin pump, and I'm with the other posters here that there is no way you can expect any kind of warranty on it. What antifreeze(s) have you used in the vehicle since the pump was last changed, and how often was AF changed?

Thank your lucky stars that you got 151k out of a set of replacement head gaskets - that's very good performance. At 307k miles I agree that you have reached the point where you'll need a complete rebuild very soon if not immediately, and if I were in your shoes I would be looking hard at the cost/benefit of THAT. I would probably thank the vehicle for it's remarkable service (more than 12 times around the equator!) and look for my next vehicle. But if the rest of the truck is in excellent shape you might consider some sort of engine replacement. I CERTAINLY would not even consider having a dealer do the work, unless you hate your money and want to get rid of as much of it as possible. Look into buying a rebuilt motor from a good rebuilder like Oregon Engine Rebuilders ($1600 for a 3VZE) that offers an excellent warranty, and get a few quotes from a few independent shops with good reps for doing the replacement.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 AM

I would tend to agree with everything everyone else said. I don't know if I would go to the extreme of buying a rebuilt motor and putting it in though. Maybe you can just take it to an independent shop and get a new timing belt and all pulleys and a water pump and get another 100K out of it. Who knows.

Nevermind, I forgot that you said the head gaskets are leaking again, Get a new motor or a new truck which ever option suits you better.

Last edited by pruney81; 02-09-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
You can find a list of information on your truck if you were to bring your VIN number into a teller. For example, I found a lot of history about my truck. I have a 92 4Runner and my AC expansion valve was done in 93, my head gasket recall was done in 97, and my steering rod recall was in 06. all done at steven creek toyota in the bay area.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
When they did the work, what was the warranty length on the jobs? I would think your invoices should state that. To me, that would be the determining factor on what I would do. Not just because you think such and such mileage is not enough and should be covered.

If you don't have a warranty in writing on any paper work, then your SOL, and I would blame yourself on that one for having work done on a vehicle with no written warranty.

25,824 miles seems like what maybe 1.5-2 years?

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-09-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 AM

Thank you so much for all of the replies. Please keep them coming.

Gravely_Man
Old 02-09-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
better sell it and go buy a new dodge
seriously, with 300k on the clock and the truck being old enough to vote, things are just worn out and need to be replaced.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats with the Dodge suggestion?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Dodges are cheap! duh. but not really once you factor in a new transmission after 60 k miles.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gravely_Man
Thank you so much for all of the replies. Please keep them coming.

Gravely_Man
Nothing that hasn't already been said .
Old 02-10-2011, 05:30 AM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by survivorman97
whats with the Dodge suggestion?
it was sarcasm, notice the ?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:50 AM

Thank you again to everyone who took the time to reply. I appears I have been doing something right to get that many miles out of the truck. I thought I should have gotten more mileage out of the last water pump and head gasket but I now understand I have been lucky.

To answer some of the questions, yes I have been doing regular changing of the coolant and no the truck has never over heated. This is my daily driver! How many miles are average for the V6 prior to a serious overhaul? Am I in the you got alot of life out of that truck club?

Thank you,
Gravely_Man
Old 02-10-2011, 05:55 AM

I think 300K miles for a 3.0 is pretty darn good. But, paying to get the head gaskets and timing belt and water pump replaced again might be a little more money than I'd want to put into a truck that has 300K on everything else.

If you could find someone to do all that work for you on the cheap then I'd go for it, but there is no way I could justify paying the dealer then hoping to get maybe another 50K or so out of it....
Old 02-10-2011, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Robert m;51656797]it was sarcasm, notice the ?[/QUOTE

thank goodness!!! (I should really read slower...)
Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 AM

She's served you well man...either time to retire her peacfully in the backyard or pony up and breathe some new life into her.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally i'd rebuild the engine, rebuilds aren't that hard if you take your time and are sure to label all the vacuum lines and such.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Personally i'd rebuild the engine, rebuilds aren't that hard if you take your time and are sure to label all the vacuum lines and such.
Actually engine rebuilds are relatively difficult for a novice mechanic. And the OP seems like the kind of person who would rather have someone do it for him. Could be a lack of tools necessary, could be a time factor, could be age.
Us young'ns have it easier because we caN work on a vehicle for 8 hours and not be tired.. not so much for old guys.

Quick Reply: Am I being treated fairly by Toyota?