Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Alternator serpentine belt problems (loud squeal)

Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator serpentine belt problems (loud squeal)

Hey all. I've taken some time and searched all over the forums but haven't found my specific problem being discussed. Here's the SparkNotes version:

- 1992 4Runner V6 3.0 3VZ-E 4WD, 230k+
- Serpentine belt snapped
- Got a brand new one to replace it
- Reassembled everything and there is a loud-ass persistent squeal and burning rubber smell... definitely didn't run it long
- Trouble-shoot by only running one belt by itself, still comes down to the alternator serpentine
- Tried tightening the tension, tried loosening the tenion
- Tighter resulted in louder squeals and more smell; looser resulted in the belt not spinning at all and the crankshaft pulley just going freely (the belt was pretty loose, too, after several steps of looser and looser with the same squealy results)
- Alternator pulley spins very well with no belt on it
- Returned the belt and got replacement in hopes of it just being a faulty part
- Still squeals like a dying pig
- As some have mentioned in other related threads, it is definitely not a timing-belt/idler pulley issue. I've worked on that area extensively and it performs like new

My mechanical skills are at least good enough to replace a timing belt, water pump and starter but I'm absolutely stumped here.

Somebody please help!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like the alt might have a bad bearings and when u put pressure on it they bind and casue it to squealing belt even tho u can move it freely when there is no belt. had a neon do this and had to rebuild the alt. or u might just not be getting the belt tight enough.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:28 PM

Thanks justin. I'm gonna get up early tomorrow and try to get some kind of prybar in there and just make it retarded tight. If not it's off to the Pick 'n Pull.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Check the fan pulley bracket. The bearing in that will wear out over time. Mine squealed off and on for awhile till it eventually gave out, seizing up and melting the power steering belt and alt belt. looks like http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...B-009B3C7FC3AA

Last edited by Andy A; 05-25-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Andy A
Check the fan pulley bracket. The bearing in that will wear out over time. Mine squealed off and on for awhile till it eventually gave out, seizing up and melting the power steering belt and alt belt. looks like http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...B-009B3C7FC3AA
Good thinking but no, that part is practically brand new (as well as the fan clutch.) Also there is zero squeal when the alt belt is off and just the AC and PS belts are on.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced it's the alt bearings as justin said.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 AM

Try putting a wrench on the crankshaft bolt and turn by hand, pulling spark plugs makes easier, and have someone look to see what is not turning smoothly.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

So why not narrow it down some more and take the alternator in to get tested before replacing it? If it is the alternator, it should do the same when it is on the machine at the parts store and they will test it for free. Are you sure you are getting the belt lined up all the way? I am sure you have as you have taken it off a few times but if its not lined up on all the pulleys it will make noise and ruin the belt.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Andy A
Wow don't I feel like a jackass. You were right.... and I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to take the pulley guide off with a pulley remover to access the bearings before I realized it can't be taken off!!

Is there any way to get in there or do I just need to buy a new bracket?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy
Wow don't I feel like a jackass. You were right.... and I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to take the pulley guide off with a pulley remover to access the bearings before I realized it can't be taken off!!

Is there any way to get in there or do I just need to buy a new bracket?
I had the same thing happen in my wife's 4runner, I did try to press out the bearing and it broke the housing. Toyota wants $700 for the part, and I heard nothing but bad stuff about the aftermarket brackets so I just put in an electric fan and bypassed the pulley with different belts.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:02 PM

So all is well! I went to the Pick 'n Pull in town and got a bracket for $9.99 (man I love that place!) Works like a charm and I couldn't be happier with my old girl

Thank you all for your help. Yotatech is amazing!