86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alternator issues Not your common problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:26 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Angry Alternator issues Not your common problem

OK before you say search, I know I have either an ALT/VR problem or a bad battery. (CHARGE/BRAKE lights on)

Last time it did this, I had mud/moisture in the headlight sockets that took out the VR in the alternator. Now it's on again with a new alternator that has been in there for 3-4 months. Yes I know, it's a remanned autozone lifetime unit. EWWWW.

This time I am leaning towards a bad battery. (5+) years old and the fact is got alot of corrosion on the positive terminal

I do have brand new battery cables so I highly doubt that's the issue.

If this is another bad alternator and not the battery or what I think is possibly alt/charge fuse ????, is there anything I might be overlooking that keeps taking out my alternator.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 06-16-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Clean off the battery terminal and see if that helps at all, if not then it has to be the alternator. Ive read here in the past that most rebuilt alternators for our trucks don`t seem to last very long. I don`t know if the rebuilders are using cheap parts or what ?. Have the alternator tested to see if its bad and go from there.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:55 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
ok found out it was the 7.5 amp fuse that was blown which fixed the alt/brake light so I guess it's charging. Also found that my choke wire came off the choke and may have grounded itself ????? Would that cause the fuse to go maybe? And is the choke supply through that same circuit?

My original question still stands, in case anyone else has an issue of keep blowing alternators.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 06-16-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I"m having the same issue in a 1986 auto EFI pickup with the 22re-c. My brake charge and AT temp lights flicker on and off. had alternator checked and it was bad...battery was good. So I replaced it lights were now on solid. I let the truck sit for a day. Started it up and the lights were gone. Mom took it to work tomorrow and it all went to crap. No headlights no power no radio barely turned around and made it home. So I let it cool down for 4 hours went back up battery was low it barely turned over but started. I turned it off an it started right up no problem it idled fine. The at brake and charge light weren't on. I just don't wanna drive it until i figure this out. The reason the alt went bad last time was the second lower radiator hose above the alt had a leak onto the top of the alt. My 80 amp fuse has no plastic around it and the ceramic is cracking and the thin part of the fuse is black not copper... but the truck runs. Any and all help would be appreciated. p.s. all plugs that I could find are plugged in and snug with clean connections. Any and ALL help appreciated
Old 11-04-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey X!

Dang, that stinks... "YAY, ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS!"....<<<yeah, those guys?...I'M NOT LIKE THEM! lol.

My buddy had an 85 that he kept going through this... It ended up being the Alternator wiring. When he went to pull it out to get the THIRD alternator out, he noticed that the connector just fell off in his hand and the ground wire broke in two as he barely tugged....then he looked up and the ground had broken insulation and was rubbing on something metal(can't remember what) along it's route. He replaced the ground and repaired the harness connector and he's not had a problem for 4 years, since... Same Alternator and same battery.

I had an issue and it was the 80A fusible link in the box. The mounting was all screwed up and it kept alternately grounding out or something(can't remember that, either... 6 years ago,lol).
Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks I just got my 80 amp out and it looked like it had exploded but was still allowing voltage through... kinda weird the plastic was melted and pitted...I'll check the harness and see if I can't find any problems. THANKS!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Nova, I was speaking to both of ya, lol.... Actually, I would recommend starting a thread. It's easy, just go to the home page and click on 'forums', scroll down to the 86-95 etc. forum and open it, then click "New Thread" on the top left of the thread section.... then just type it out simple, like "Voltage problem, Dash lights Flashing, Help?" ...or something like that. Then type it out, clearly, in sections of what you've tried, etc., and you'll get far more help than when you jump on a Vet like X's thread, lol. Just trying to save you from a 'HIGHJACKER, GET EM!' thrashing! lol.