Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

alternative to clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alternative to clutch pedal

I'm thinking of ways to remove the clutch pedal. I know motorcycled have a grip handle for the clutch, and older super beetles (VW) have an auto stick.

Anyone have any ideas to remove the pedal? I was thinking of *MAYBE* installing a button or trigger on my stick shift that activates the clutch release system. Anyone have any better ideas?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
uh..........idunno. interesting idea.....
Old 06-17-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like your trying to reinvent the yota wheel all over again. why would you do this, what are you going to accomplish? is it worth the time and effort?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I doubt it would be worth it... how do you feather a button?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by dem0nk1d
sounds like your trying to reinvent the yota wheel all over again. why would you do this, what are you going to accomplish? is it worth the time and effort?
To avoid problems caused by clutch pedal bracket fatigue and avoid knee surgery. Also, to see if I can.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Playing with paddle shifters, no, that ain't gonna do it.....

Instead lieu of a clutch pedal find a way to attach a modified handgrip to the shifter shaft or to the shifter grip itself, so that your shifter hand is both disengaging/shifting/engaging. Shouldn't be too hard to master, could even still slip/feather the darned thing.

Is there or have you checked into what hand controls are available, or are they all for autos?

Last edited by habanero; 06-17-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:33 PM

hmmm go auto then or maybe you can do something with mountain bike brake lever that's for hydro setup...
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-ST-M97.../dp/B0014ZLGHG

it's an idea.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:34 PM

also you could attach it to the shifter.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by dem0nk1d
hmmm go auto
Then there would be no point to this oddball project. I'm looking to see if I can rig up something like this. Would be my first time building something non-Lego and without instructions.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:06 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the feeling the clutch takes a bit more input force than a bike brake lever will create.

Hand throttle would be much easier and make more sense IMHO
Old 06-17-2009, 08:09 PM

I would even go for an electronic pedal (more like a button with a pedal cover) that actuates the clutch system. It wouldnt be good for slowly letting the clutch out, but I can always keep the clutch pedal in place for when I need to use it more intricately.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
I have the feeling the clutch takes a bit more input force than a bike brake lever will create.
Funny, I believe motorcycle clutches work that way.
Look into a motorcycle clutch and mount it to your shifter. That'd be neat.

Then you would have one beefy forearm from holding the clutch in. Well maybe you already have one beefy forearm from another "hobby"...
Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
A motorcycle clutch is this big () and a car clutch is this big (((((()))))). Gonna take a little more force. Standard dirtbike is around 40hp. Both motorcycle and car clutches are hydraulic. Think about trying to squeeze your clutch pedal with your hand all day. Anyways, car brakes are vacuum boosted, maybe you could retrofit some type of vacuum booster to it? But you would loose all feeling and shifting would be rough.

Search Pirate, there was a thread about this a few days ago. Someone who had leg/knee problems.

Last edited by toylocost; 06-17-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

Two I can think of that I have used on Harley motorcycles not sure if they can/will work on a car/truck but maybe you can look into them
1. air shifter (push button has its own air tank)
2. suicide shift style hand clutch on the shift rod
Old 06-17-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i think an suicide style shifter would be the most user friendly although i don't think any of the idea's are practical. i think you would need some sort of assist otherwise your end up with an fore arm about the size of your calf...lol maybe an remote style clutch trigger on the shifter that operates an electric ram of some sort that would allow you complete control of how much or how little clutch pressure.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I had an old Beetle with an autostick. It had a torque converter attached to the engine and a vacuum operated clutch between that and the transmission. That kind of system could work if you could figure out how to get both a torque converter and a clutch on your truck.

Another idea is to make a really short throw clutch, possibly by installing a larger bored master clutch cylinder, and then install a vacuum booster so it is easy to press. That way it could be operated by just twisting your ankle instead of your knee. A small hand lever operated by a cable could also be attached to it. That way you could use either your hand or your foot.

I have seen a brake booster on an old truck that was installed in the hydraulic line after the master cylinder, not in front of it like in modern vehicles. Something like that could probably work in the clutch system. I also remember seeing a vacuum clutch booster installed before the master cylinder. I think it was on a Land Cruiser, but I am not sure. I can do some research if you are interested.

Last edited by the_supernerd; 06-18-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stuwy123
Then you would have one beefy forearm from holding the clutch in. Well maybe you already have one beefy forearm from another "hobby"...
LOL....what kinda hobby might that be?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Team420
LOL....what kinda hobby might that be?
bodybuilding, for sure. I'm training to be mr Olympia.

j/k
Old 06-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

If you check with Toyota dealer they can put you in touch with local [or nearly] local firms that modify vehicles with hand controls for the physically challenged. There are hand clutch systems available...

here's a link to one site with a description of one method http://www.amphicar.net/minnow/controls_of.htm

It's a little involved since it also retains the stock pedal, but with an hydrolic booster actvated by the hand lever on the shifter you could generate more then enough force to move the clutch master...

Last edited by aviator; 06-18-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
If you check with Toyota dealer they can put you in touch with local [or nearly] local firms that modify vehicles with hand controls for the physically challenged. There are hand clutch systems available...

here's a link to one site with a description of one method http://www.amphicar.net/minnow/controls_of.htm

It's a little involved since it also retains the stock pedal, but with an hydrolic booster actvated by the hand lever on the shifter you could generate more then enough force to move the clutch master...
I have a friend who's disabled and has hand controls on his car. He had to go all the way to the next big city (Aurora) which is about 60 miles for it. I'll take a look and see what they offer and for what prices.

Though I'd much rather do it myself. Seems like a nifty project.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 06-18-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: alternative to clutch pedal