Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Aisan Carb Stumbles

Old 09-06-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aisan Carb Stumbles

We've just completed a long block rebuild on an 87 22R airbreather and things were going great until we rebuilt the carb. I've done some searching here and there were some carb issues that came close to what was happening to our carb, but not quite. Besides, most of the stuff that was suggested on the other carb issues we've already done - about 3 times! Our problem is generally poor performance in the low end of the RPM range. If you keep your foot in it, and the secondaries open it sounds like a great 22R under the hood! But when you're driving and only need just enough gas to keep "pressure" on the drivetrain it chugs and sputs and is generally aggravating.

We rebuilt the carb (pretty crudded up) and got all the new goodies in and installed. The new rebuild fired up and made lots of smoke, but ran pretty good - for about 10 minutes. It seemed as though it was starving for gas but a quick check of the sight glass, and pulling the fuel line to watch it pump fuel, showed us that there was fuel there. The tank had been drained and appeared in good shape and all the filters cleaned and inspected. There was a tiny bit of fuel (probably old) but no debris could be seen through the open sensor port, we used a match for a light.

First suspect is the float valve of course, so we removed the carb top and rechecked the measurements and got both open and closed numbers within .001 so we we should be good. We ran the needles in and set them at the recommended number of turns - and then everything in between. Still the low speed stumble would show up. We checked the fuel coming from the pump for debris and noticed there seemed to be a heavier liquid settling in the bottom of our sample. Thinking there could be some water, we poured a can of SeaFoam in on a fresh tank of gas to drive it out. We've driven about half that tank out and still no joy. It seemed that we made most of our gains when we messed with the float and needle. But we've changed out the seat and needle with three different sets of parts.

Is there something we're missing on a very basic rebuild? We're anxious to get this new/old truck out on the road again!

Thanks

Gene
Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 PM

Sounds like the primaries are plugged or not working.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:58 AM

Well, we've decided that this weekend will be another tear down of the carb. I blew air through every hole and orifice I could find last time, but maybe I missed one.

Here's hoping.....
Old 09-08-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did you soak the carb in cleaner or clean it with a can of carb cleaner ? if it was cruded up it may still have plugged orifices. it may take a good soaking to clean it out. some part stores will soak parts for you for a fee. you might also check the power valve.

Last edited by swampfox; 09-08-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:41 PM

Thanks Swampfox!

We did do the carb cleaner in the can job on it. We didn't soak it. The power valve had so much goo in it it wouldn't even move. I'll see if I can land enough solvent to soak her for a while.

Gene
Old 09-25-2010, 02:58 PM

Toyota carb's are no joke and shouldn't be taken lightly if your not a toyota mech! i know a mechanic with 40+ years of active experience who built a 1st gen from scratch but had carb problems he tried everything he ended up taking it to a buddy who worked at a toyota dealer he took it in and the guy fixed it and it ran great but all of a sudden it crapped out again he ended up just buying a new one out of frustration and never had a problem again...

So when its all said and done you'll probably put in more money and labor just trying to polish a turd mine has the same issue and i am not going to learn from my mistakes ill take his word and buy a refurbished one with life time warranty for cheaper than getting it rebuilt by a pro and throw that baby on there
Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 PM

That may be the case, and I don't discount it. We have been out of the country, but ready to start poking around on it. We will try one or two more things and it may go the way of the round parts bin.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:10 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/
Old 10-31-2010, 05:47 PM

OK, we're back at it again. Still haven't solved our problem either!

We ended up yanking the carb off and putting a carb on from a truck that had been running before it was in a wreck. Same drill.

We have replaced the EGR valve, the carb, set and reset the timing, traced all the vacuum lines, printed out and pored over the 22R carb faq and we still get the same kind of chunking jerk like you get when you don't give it enough gas taking off from a stop. Obviously it's more pronounced in first when you're trying to ease off the gas and maintain about 20mph. This can't be good on a freshly rebuilt motor! We're pretty much out of ideas on this one.......
Old 11-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might check the exhaust for restricktion, but other than that I'm not sure what to do next.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
what value are you using for ignition timing? Also which spark plugs are you using. Your problem sounds alot like one I had when I "tried' using the E3 spark plugs. Went back to my tired and true NGK v-powers and no problems.

Also double check the vacuum lines to the distributor as well. Make sure they aren't crossed up before and after the vacuum rail. As each port on that distributor does different things.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:53 PM

Well, I solved my problem! It was easier than I thought it would be.

I sold the truck! (full disclosure)

Thanks for everyone's efforts and input on this. I'm not out though - still have three Yotas in the family!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:10 AM

CenTexFlyer, did you really never figure the problem out? I am having the EXACT same issue...rebuilt long block, rebuilt carb, stumbling...