Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Air locker problem again

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air locker problem again

So I replaced my seal housing because the ring gear broke it. I got it all back together and the compressor turns on like every 1 and a half minute. Only when the front air locker is engaged. Any ideas? Thank you!
Old 02-13-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are only so many places for air to leak. start checking along the air line. Pull out the fill plug from the front diff and you might be able to hear it hissing.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Use soapy water to check all air line fittings from compressor to dif. You can let it run for a little bit then look in fill hole of dif when filled with oil for bubbles. Run the airline for damage and leaks. Those are the easy ones to check. If o-ring at bulkhead is leaking it will blow air into dif but not make bubbles.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:46 PM

Ok I checked all the fittings on the outside with soapy water and see nothing that is obvious. I will try looking inside the fill plug for bubbles and/or hissing sound. Before it was hissing thru the breather valve and was pretty apparent. I am not a professional so I am kind of at a loss now. If it is the seal housing again it would be such a pain for me to do it myself all over again. I just want to wheel it! If I had it diagnosed I'm sure that they would say there isn't much to diagnose but to replace the seals, air line or fittings..
Old 02-22-2017, 06:49 PM

Ok so I checked it out and it is leaking air into the diff but there are no bubbles (I can hear it hissing). I took off the bulkhead fitting and I found a pretty eaten up o-ring. Pictures are attached. Do you think that this could be causing my problem?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:03 PM

Iv'e also had a hell of a time trying to order replacement parts for this . Is this the correct bulkhead fitting replacement? The only piece I won't be replacing is the bulkhead that screws into the diff housing. It is a Toyota 8inch ARB 50mm that's all I really know.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:37 PM

SMOD I'll bet that's your problem. You prolly don't need a new bulkhead kit. Call ARB they'll send you one or two. I couldn't find one locally, it's an odd ball o-ring. Kind of a PITA to install when dif is installed. Your o-ring looks like it was damaged when installing. I used a small nail to help hold upwards pressure on copper tube, real gentle like and a small screwdriver to push o-ring down. Coat it with gear oil. Don't over tighten, kind of a problem I have. Take your time. It took me several attempts was a bit flustrating.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:51 PM

Well that was worth the shot but it didn't fix the problem. The air compressor is still turning on and I can still hear hissing inside the fill plug. I still don't see any bubbles in the oil also. Any other ideas? The only thing I can think of is to tear it all apart again and then have a professional set up the diff and I can just put it back together.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by SMOD
Well that was worth the shot but it didn't fix the problem. The air compressor is still turning on and I can still hear hissing inside the fill plug. I still don't see any bubbles in the oil also. Any other ideas? The only thing I can think of is to tear it all apart again and then have a professional set up the diff and I can just put it back together.
Pull dif, attach to compress, activate locker. Should be pretty easy from there to figure out where leak is and direction to fix it.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just how is your compressor controlled Pressure Switch ??

Have you checked that is working correct or set correct .

This is a problem on most any air compressor you might want to check that out if you can`t find anything else.

Bad check valve on the compressor if there is one allowing the air to bleed out .