86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

aftermarket AC installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
aftermarket AC installation

How hard is it to install an AC in an 89 pickup with a 22re? It's pretty much bone stock.

I'm looking to install an AC system in the truck, so if anyone is junking a truck with AC, I may be interested in purchasing the unit.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a few threads going about this same topic right now. I have given my input on them. I think you are on the right track. Find a wrecked or non running truck & take everything you need. If you try to go the other route & buy a new aftermarket A/C system then you might end up spending more than the truck is worth!

I would say that the hardest part would be getting everything behind the dash, evap, controls, vents (if needed) etc. The under hood stuff should be pretty straight forward but I think you will need to pull your radiator in order to fit the condenser in place. Plan on it being a weekend project & make sure to replace all of the o-rings with new ones. You may want to find a friend who can help you out so things go faster. I'm not sure if you will just need a longer belt or if you will need another pulley with an extra grove on it? I'm sure that someone with the 4 banger can answer that for you.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:30 PM

believe it or not i did search before starting this thread. Im disappointed on yotatech's search. I guess ill look harder. I'm going to remove the dash and radiator for another project, so maybe i can knock these two out at the same time.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
believe it or not i did search before starting this thread. Im disappointed on yotatech's search. I guess ill look harder. I'm going to remove the dash and radiator for another project, so maybe i can knock these two out at the same time.
Without a doubt that is the time to do it! It will make it that much easier if that stuff is already going to be out. If you are capable of pulling the dash & radiator then you should have no problem installing the A/C. It's just time consuming IMO.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Everything you need but the final evacuation and refrigerant/oil: http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?S...=AMA16873-2037

Otherwise you'll be stuck trying to find out what all you'll need and then find the parts, replace the o-rings, maybe end up with a bad compressor, have to replace the accumulator / receiver/drier, may have leaking hose(s)....
Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Everything you need but the final evacuation and refrigerant/oil: http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?S...=AMA16873-2037

Otherwise you'll be stuck trying to find out what all you'll need and then find the parts, replace the o-rings, maybe end up with a bad compressor, have to replace the accumulator / receiver/drier, may have leaking hose(s)....
Awesome link, Thanks. So this is pretty much just plug & play with the 22re?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:16 PM

ya, is that for the 22re, specifically? or is that a universal, one size fits all type thing?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:29 PM

and when it says 'HFC-134a compatible' is that basically R134A? or is it a special type only available from them?
HFC-134A = R134a ?
and how well does this system work compared to stock? anyone ever use it?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:26 PM

I installed on of their kits in my '93 v6, I was lucky enough to get it second hand from a member on here that was doing a 3.4 swap.

It's fairly easy, the kit comes with absolutely everything you need. Like stated, if you can pull the dash, you can do this. It took me two days, but that's only because I started in the afternoon and got poured on when and the sun went down so I had to stop. Probably was only about 6 hours all together. And this was by myself, with minimal tools in a parking lot. With a friend and a garage, it could probably be done in two hours.

The kit came with an idle up valve, but I couldn't get it to fit right and I was getting hungry so I never put it on. I was going to find an oem one but never got around to it.

Their customer service was good too when I couldn't find the directions, they just emailed them to me.

Oh, and I didn't have to pull the dash, just to glove box btw
Old 05-19-2009, 03:34 PM

b.miller, how does it work? does it blow COLD, or just cool? what difference do you feel between this and other stock a/c systems?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 PM

What did you do about the idle valve?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:56 PM

yeah what did you do about the idle valve?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HFC-134a is what the refrigerant is called. R134a means the same thing.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:46 PM

okay, just clearin that up.
abe thats a B.A. avatar!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:11 PM

I never did anything about the idle valve, if I get around to it might find a stock one from a 3.0 and use it, but it doesn't bother me enough yet. I did just move to Texas though, so maybe this summer I'll get around to it.

As for how cold it is, it could be better. I'm not complaining though, it's a thousand times better than not having anything at all. If I'm not moving (the only airflow over the condenser(the part in front of the radiator) is by the mechanical fan) it could be better. But if it's anything less than 90 degrees it's fine. Once I get moving it can get pretty cold. I might experiment with a larger condenser or a spal pusher fan in the front (4runners have them stock, but not the trucks, from what I've seen).

It's not on the level with anything a newer truck can put out (compared to my father in law's silverado, which is like sitting in a refrigerator). I've never been in a toyota of my vintage with stock ac that worked, so I can't compare the the two. I've heard the stock toyota systems weren't that good to begin with.

In all honesty, though it was nice to be able to have everything brand new which minimizes surprises, if I had a choice and the time/money, I would just piece together a kit from oem bits. Oem pieces are going to fit 100% where the kit leaves a little to be desired. For instance, the oem system mounts the receiver/dryer up by the condenser, and uses hard lines, where the kit only uses flexible lines, which are okay, but are a bit of a pain to get to fit right and be out of the way of everything.

You can get the hoses, vsv/idle up valve, the pushbutton in the dash, brackets for the compressor and small things like that fairly cheap in junkyards. I would go with a remanufactured compressor and receiver and possibly a new condenser. Getting a good evaporator (the part inside the cab) might pose a problem. The whole box is about $500 from the dealer, and the core (which is what would go bad) is about $250.

The problem with the different refrigerants being used isn't really a problem at all. The compressors and other bits that you use are only going to be available in 134a form, and the o-rings that you'll have to get (and will want to replace anyways even if it is already converted) are available at any parts store for cheap. The only thing that sucks is that from what I've read, the older refrigerant was more efficient and so therefore, using the 134a in a system designed for the older one will not be as good as it could be. I'm not sure when the switch was made, I think 94 or 95, so find a parts truck from those years and maybe you'll wind up with a better system? A couple of the parts from '93 vs '95 have different part numbers so that may be the case.

You would have to figure out the wiring which wouldn't be too hard if you could find a rig with stock a/c. The kit came with the wiring necessary for it to work. From my experience toyota likes to use a minimum of different parts, so the truck wiring harness probably already has everything you need, you'll just need the connection between the compressor and the truck harness, and there is probably more that I am forgetting.

Bottom line: if I had to pay full price for the kit, I would just start making trips to the junkyard.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't have an idle up valve.

I adjust my idle a bit higher for the summer.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 1989 that I bought brand new. Best vehicle I believe I will ever own! The AC was an option that was installed by the dealer. When I originally picked up the truck it was September and they did not have time to install and I needed the truck. I took it back pretty quickly to get it installed and it was ICE COLD for many years. About 2 years ago I charged the system after evacuating the system (it was empty) and it worked okay for a short while and then crapped out again. My point is that when I first bought the truck that AC was COLD COLD COLD and with the cab being small it was cold FAST so I just wanted to make that clear.