86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Advice on 91 pickup engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on 91 pickup engine swap

I have a 1991 pickup, 4x4 manual

Almost two weeks ago my engine seized.

Husband's father is fantastic mechanic, who is going to come down and help do the actual swap.

My questions are these....
1. Is it better to rebuild the current block (no rods thrown) or buy a new one?
2. How do you go about finding a good block
3. Are there any kind of engine swap upgrades for a 91 pickup and if so what engines can you put in/whats the performance differences?
4. Aside from gaskets/hoses what all will I want to get new? Water pump, radiator, fans, etc?

I bet his dad has generic answers to these questions but I was just hoping to get the opinions of those who know yotas in and out.

Thanks! ^-^
Old 01-03-2014, 02:41 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Well first fess up and tell us how you managed to seize up your engine??

Just How long will it take you to do the work with the supervision of your Father in law??

There are so many ways to go.

Since you don`t say which engine you have is it the much hated 3.0 V6

How much can you afford to spend on this ??

One can do the 3.4 swap depends on just where your skills are strongest

Another thing what kind of mileage is on the truck??

Time to spend a few thousand doing a wheels up rebuild??

Think about something newer and sell this one as it is and cut your losses ??

Only you can answer these questions.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a tough one...
I replaced the engine on my last truck with a 3.4. I originally had a 3.0 and pretty much everything bolted up. There were some specialty parts and fab work but the big thing was the wiring. There's a whole forum in the engine swap area dedicated to the 3.4 swap so you can start looking there if interested. In my opinion it's a fairly advanced project not for someone who hasn't swapped engines and had to make mods before.

I've also rebuilt several of my own engines from various vehicles. They worked out well but it takes TIME. Also, none of them were damaged or seized.

In my opinion if you haven't done engine work before I would suggest looking for a used engine that matches your trucks original engine and swap that in. Way faster and less headache. Also allot cheaper than doing a proper rebuild

Just my 2c

Good luck

Last edited by Innocent Fool; 01-03-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:02 AM

There are so many options, but my top 3 choices would be:
1. 4-cyl 2.4/2.7L Tacoma engine
2. 6-cyl 3.4L Tacoma engine
3. 8-cyl 5.7L Chevy 350 (put in tons of chevy's and GMC's)
Old 01-03-2014, 09:42 AM

The engine you have currently will decide which engine would be easiest to swap in.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:52 AM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
if it's seized something is probably damaged enough to require machine work... without having the motor torn down for inspection, it's difficult to recommend a course of action on the engine in question.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:52 AM

Well I've actually decided that I'm going to buy a new (rebuilt) engine to replace mine.

So now it just comes down to what all should I replace along with it? All belts and hoses, water pump, radiator, going to go ahead and rebuild clutch while it's torn apart...

And as far as what caused it to seize - lack of oil. I haven't actually looked at it yet. Was driving down the busiest highway we have when it died and had it towed to a shop that's been closed since the 23rd ;p
Not sure what caused the rapid oil depletion. I had an oil leak from my head gasket that I've been keeping an eye on. Had an oil change just at 3 months ago (first time I've ever taken it somewhere to get changed, I was just too busy to do it myself). Checked the oil a week prior and it was getting lower, but nowhere near low enough to start worrying.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's probably cheaper to just buy the long block than rebuild your engine, due to labor cost of cleaning your engine and all the time envolved. So good choice. What I would replace, would be all hoses,hose clamps, belts, three piece clutch kit, fuel filter, and if the long block doesn't come with it. spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor button, water pump.

Have the injectors cleaned also.

Check the motor mount condition and replace if needed. I would be more than tempted to replace the tranny input shaft seal too!!!

Have the radiator flushed, no need for a new one.

Last edited by 93 Toyota 4x4; 01-04-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
We still dont know which engine you have. You should give some details.
Also as said earlier, depending on what you find for sale it may come with some of the parts you are talking about changing.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:44 PM

3.0 v6
And just found out that it's actually not seized. One more reason we typically try to do everything ourselves. Pay the tow truck to have it brought back to our house from the shop it had initially been towed to (who claimed it was seized and they put five quarts of oil in it). Well when the tow truck rolled it off his bed he started it up and pulled it into the driveway! Needless to say hubs and I were both flabbergasted.
The engine does need to be replaced as you can hear it knocking a bit. But obviously not seized and hasn't thrown a rod yet.
We are still buying a new 3.0 v6 that has bored out pistons for a little extra hp.

Thanks for the tranny input shaft seal suggestion.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by valren
3.0 v6 And just found out that it's actually not seized. One more reason we typically try to do everything ourselves. Pay the tow truck to have it brought back to our house from the shop it had initially been towed to (who claimed it was seized and they put five quarts of oil in it). Well when the tow truck rolled it off his bed he started it up and pulled it into the driveway! Needless to say hubs and I were both flabbergasted. The engine does need to be replaced as you can hear it knocking a bit. But obviously not seized and hasn't thrown a rod yet. We are still buying a new 3.0 v6 that has bored out pistons for a little extra hp. Thanks for the tranny input shaft seal suggestion.
I'd still recommend swapping a 3.4 at this time instead of buying a new 3.0
Old 01-08-2014, 07:07 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Incase you still wanna do a swap.. just came across a seemingly good deal online.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...275634157.html
Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gevo
Incase you still wanna do a swap.. just came across a seemingly good deal online. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...275634157.html
That might be good for your area but I bought an entire 4runner that was wrecked for 1000. It still ran and had 99% of the things I needed. Turned around and sold the rest for 400
Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would weigh the value of the pickup with new engine vs engine cost. You may be wasting money even fixing it. With a rebuilt engine and the things needed...you are probably looking at 1700 or better. Can you find another truck for that price? Is your truck really nice?

For me...a toyota has to have 2/3 A good body...a good interior....a good motor... pick 2. Usually worth saving. If youur truck is rusty and beat up...and interior is ragged out...dont waste the money on a new engine.

I'd have to think long and hard before I shelled out money on a rebuilt 3.0 for a 91 pickup.

Barring any emotional attachment...is it worth it?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the rest of the truck is in good condition, shell out the dough and buy it a new engine and then drive it until it needs another rebuild in another 400k km.
It may cost more than the truck is worth but at least you know the history of the truck and all the maintenance.
If the truck is shot (rusted and trashed), scrap it and buy another used one.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:41 PM

Truck isn't shot and is in pretty fair condition. Interior is also good.

Not considering selling. Love the truck in addition to having sentimental value. So I don't mind spending the money on replacing the motor.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by valren
Truck isn't shot and is in pretty fair condition. Interior is also good.

Not considering selling. Love the truck in addition to having sentimental value. So I don't mind spending the money on replacing the motor.

I would do alot of research on who you buy a rebuild from and get a written warranty. I wouldnt trust a used 3.0