Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Adding AC to my Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding AC to my Pickup

All,

It has been a while since I have been on the forum. This truck of mine runs great. I have, however, recently moved to a warmer climate and I think I may want to add air conditioning to my 92 toyota pickup (2wd) with a 22re engine. This vehicle has never had it before and I am reluctant to let it go since it runs so well. Is it possible to add AC to my pickup? Can I get a kit somewhere? If so, where?

Any help any of you could give me would be appreciated.

Dave
Old 08-12-2009, 09:03 AM

I did this a few months ago.

I was looking at the kit from http://www.ackits.com but it was wayyyyy too pricey and I was unsure if it would bolt up correctly. So for that reason I ended up going to my local toyota junkyard and bought the complete system from a 94 PU for about 150 bucks. I put it all in and at first it didn't work right. I ended up replacing the expansion valve and evacuated/recharged the system and now it works great!

If you do go this route it may be safe to buy a new compressor and replace all of the rubber seals. The system I got was in good shape so I didn't do any of that but then again I think I got pretty lucky.

For reliability the first time I would suggest going with a brand new kit but if you want the best bang for your buck and don't mind set backs then go with one from the junkyard.

The main thing you have to worry about from the junkyard is getting a system that used r134a already and not the old stuff. Normally a newer PU will use the r134a but it helps to look at the sticker on the motor just to make sure.

Let me know if you have any questions when doing this setup. Since I recently did mine I am pretty familiar with it all and it is fresh in my memory.

Also, if you do get one from the junkyard replace the expansion valve no matter what so you don't have the same problem I had. If you find a system I have a smaller expansion valve that may fit. It is brand new and I will sell it cheap. I bought it online and it didn't fit so I had to get another. I have it laying around cause I didn't want to go through the hassel of shipping it back and not getting my full refund due to restocking fees and whatnot.

Good luck DAVE!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 93YotaGuy; 08-12-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:16 AM

Is there anyone out there who has used one of these kits? How well will they fit with my existing parts? How long will this job take?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 93YotaGuy
I did this a few months ago.

I was looking at the kit from http://www.ackits.com but it was wayyyyy too pricey and I was unsure if it would bolt up correctly. So for that reason I ended up going to my local toyota junkyard and bought the complete system from a 94 PU for about 150 bucks. I put it all in and at first it didn't work right. I ended up replacing the expansion valve and evacuated/recharged the system and now it works great!

If you do go this route it may be safe to buy a new compressor and replace all of the rubber seals. The system I got was in good shape so I didn't do any of that but then again I think I got pretty lucky.

For reliability the first time I would suggest going with a brand new kit but if you want the best bang for your buck and don't mind set backs then go with one from the junkyard.

The main thing you have to worry about from the junkyard is getting a system that used r134a already and not the old stuff. Normally a newer PU will use the r134a but it helps to look at the sticker on the motor just to make sure.

Let me know if you have any questions when doing this setup. Since I recently did mine I am pretty familiar with it all and it is fresh in my memory.

Also, if you do get one from the junkyard replace the expansion valve no matter what so you don't have the same problem I had. If you find a system I have a smaller expansion valve that may fit. It is brand new and I will sell it cheap. I bought it online and it didn't fit so I had to get another. I have it laying around cause I didn't want to go through the hassel of shipping it back and not getting my full refund due to restocking fees and whatnot.

Good luck DAVE!

Hope this helps.
want to fly out to san diego and help me with mine? ill buy the beer and pizza! lol. hows your setup workin for ya?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
want to fly out to san diego and help me with mine? ill buy the beer and pizza! lol. hows your setup workin for ya?
Ha yeah I wish it was that easy.

I couldn't be happier with my AC. It blows out ice cold...

Probably the best and cheapest upgrade I have done to my truck so far. :-D
Old 08-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I installed my ackits kit 5 years ago.

Fit well. Works well. Took a day to get it all done.