Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Add-A-Leaf or new springs for rear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add-A-Leaf or new springs for rear?

First off, I'm new to the Toyota truck scene so please forgive my ignorance.

The rear of my truck is sagging a little bit and I've been looking at new rear leaf springs or buying one of those extra leaf kits. The extra leaf looks less expensive but are there any big disadvantages? Any that you would recommend or have tried? I looked under the back and it looks pretty simple, is the leaf something that can be added with just a jack and some wrenches? Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:31 PM

Welcome father, an add a leaf in each rear spring pack is cheap and easy. You may need a longer center pin for the thicker spring pack. Easy enough to make with the right length bolt. However I don't think you will like the ride unless you always carry weight in the rear. Empty it will likely bounce around a bit. I've seen guys keep a bag or 2 of redi-mix concrete in the center of their bed to keep it from bouncing around.

A lot depends on how you plan on using the truck. I like replacing the spring pack but then you may have a high rear end. Who knows then you might want to crank up your torsion bars to level things out.

A third option is to re-arc your current springs. That would pick up the height but wouldn't affect spring rate. You will have the same ride quality as now but sit a little taller.

Good luck
Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 PM

I'm having the same dilemma, my rear springs are shot & I do have a fiberglass camper along with roughly 100-150 pounds of water, tools, spare tires (2), hi-lift, oil, beer, etc, in the back of my rig at all times.

I am thinking of spending a little cash and buying new spring packs, perhaps Old Man Emu springs or the Downey/LC Engineering springpacks (they are the same manufacturer.) Add-a-leaves are not the answer if your current springs are shot, this lesson I have learned several times on my Jeeps. You can always put an add-a-leaf in a new spring pack later if you need extra height, right?

The OME springs seem like they will work for me, because I am sticking with IFS & a mild likft for my daily-driver. Some folks dig the chevy pickup rear spring conversion on their rigs.

Oh yeah, the SEARCH function works quite well here. Welcome to YT!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the input everybody. I rolled the dice and went with an extra leaf from Pro Comp since it was cheap ($40) and something I could handle by myself. Luckily the existing U-bolts were long enough that I didn't need to replace them. So far the ride is actually better than it used to be because it was always resting on the helper leafs before (or whatever the giant flat bottom leaf is called). Not sure how that compares with the truck when it was new but I like it. Can't argue with the price. Cheers!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
You should always replace u-bolts, they are not that expensive...

if you got a short style AAL then your leaf pack will be junk in a few years. Mine is getting there... 63" chevies are in my future.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
NEW LEAF PACK.

AAL's ride like ass.

Ask me how I know.

Buut, If your anywhere near Socal you can have the one thats been sitting on my garage floor for a few months.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:55 PM

Aye, new springs it is. The OME's seem to be the way to go, for up to 2-3", otherwise a longer springpack is necessary for more travel.

I wonder if a lot of people who are wearing out aftermarket 2-3" springs don't have the right bumpstops? If I remember correctly a springpack gets worked pretty hard when it is bent backwards into a negative arch. Anyways.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
You should always replace u-bolts, they are not that expensive...
Where can they be found for cheap? The only people in town with them was NAPA and they wanted almost $100 for a set of 4 that were longer than stock. I'm all ears if it doesn't break the bank. Cheers!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
toyota springs are short. Put in longer springs to fix the underrated stock springs. And fix the rough ride issue at the same time. Then you do a simple u-bolt flip and new lower shock mounts.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Downey prerunner add a leaf is pretty soft. What I recommend is getting Downey's leaf pack and use the prerunner add aleaf instead of the overload leaf, it was a very nice ride and quite inexpensive.

Deaver also makes a reall cool add a leaf pack, which is actually 3 thin leaves vs on fat leaf. I hear this offers a great ride too.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Icon makes those too, infact many spring manufactures do.