Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ackits aftermarket ac install 86 4x4 22RE

Old 07-24-2016, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ackits aftermarket ac install 86 4x4 22RE

Seeking help/info from anyone who has installed one of these kits.

I did some research on here and found that others has little to no trouble installing this kit and decided to go this route with the same expectations.

The kit indicates there is a plug prewired in my truck that connects off the a/c button plug adapter. One of the prewired OEM plugs that if fits does nothing and another makes the system functional when the lights are turned on. After researching OEM systems (which I was led to believe this was like), they had a component my systems doesn't have - an AC amplifier. I think this explains why my truck isn't prewired for this application.

What is the fix on this?

Thank you kindly!

Old 07-24-2016, 02:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Not having heard of this aftermarket kit before now.

Just what does this kit entail ??

There must be a wiring schematic

Does it come with the AC idle up VSV ??

All the pressure switches andfittings ??

Then if I remember correct that era truck the AC was a dealer added option so your truck won`t have the needed harness .

The AC amplifier is a board that receives all the feeds from the pressure switches and turns things on as off as needed

You might want to look for a 86 4Runner to get the parts you need
Old 07-24-2016, 04:30 AM

The kit didn't come with the VSV or the solenoid it works with although supplemental instructions show how to install them. The guy who owns and wholesales the kits says that he cant get the VSV any longer from his supplier. It also didn't come with the AC amplifier. Apart from these three items, it has everything else as far as I could tell: compressor, compressor bracket, receiver/dryer, condenser, evaporator assembly, a/c button and the hardware to install. everything when into the truck pretty flawlessly.
It does come with a wiring schematic, but the plug coming off the a/c on/off button doesn't have a match in my truck like the drawing indicates.

As I know it, it was a dealer added item at the time. However, because it was dealer added, the factory made it "plug and play."

Old 07-24-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Interesting because none of my trucks except the ones with AC have the wiring for AC

Good luck
Old 08-23-2016, 01:48 AM

CMOEN,

I'm about to order a kit from ACkits. Would you recommend them? How did the install go? Does the kit use the factory ducts?

Hope all went well,

Alex
Old 08-24-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Best to call them and ask. I had just ordered an a/c kit from them. We'll see what happens.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
I was googling A/C threads because of a recent A/C thread and someone years ago said the wiring is taped way up under the dash. I don't know if it's true but look waaaaaay up under the dash. I also have a 1988 4Runner OEM installation guide that came with the Toyota kit and it started from the viewpoint that the 4Runner was shipped ready for the A/C kit to be installed. I'll try to dig it out and find out what parts they called for. There used to be a kit with one part number for all of it but when I checked about four years ago the kit was discontinued.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:36 PM

I had someone look into the plug and he said its true, the plug was waaaaaay under the dash. So its a clean install at this point. You need to order your own idle up valve as the kit doesn't come with it, but Im happy with it now.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:02 AM

I checked up with Tim at Ackits. His response: "Idle kick has been discontinued. Due to the vacuum tie no longer being produced. It’s not really needed, a quick adjustment of the idle during summer months will fix any low idle issues."

Hope that helps anyone.

Originally Posted by Nervo19
I was googling A/C threads because of a recent A/C thread and someone years ago said the wiring is taped way up under the dash. I don't know if it's true but look waaaaaay up under the dash. I also have a 1988 4Runner OEM installation guide that came with the Toyota kit and it started from the viewpoint that the 4Runner was shipped ready for the A/C kit to be installed. I'll try to dig it out and find out what parts they called for. There used to be a kit with one part number for all of it but when I checked about four years ago the kit was discontinued.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:07 PM

So I'm finally done with my A/C kit install. Haven't worked on cars in a long time so it did take a long time to take things apart and putting them back. I didn't even use the pressure switch. No need for it. I needed to adjust the idle speed afterward though. I got the kit from ackit.com
Old 05-23-2018, 06:39 PM

Revival!

Anyone do this recently or have pics or updates from the ackit install???

Really want to do this soon, just bought my CO born 88 4x4 and live in TX, could definitely use the AC! I love the truck otherwise!!!
Old 05-23-2018, 06:51 PM

Howdy from Texas. No pics, I deleted them. Two things though, you needed to get your AC hoses clamped. Two, you need a step down drill bit to drill through the steel frame.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:05 AM

Thanks, you still have your truck? AC still going strong?
Old 05-25-2018, 09:18 AM

Still has it. It went through the first summer and the AC is still blowing strong. Come to think about it, it would have been nice faster if I had to do install it all over again. The important thing is that you gotta find a hardware shop to clamp your AC hoses. But you should measure the length of it first, cut it to length, and then have the hardware shop or body shop clamp the hose for you. Also, when cutting through the frame with a step down drill bit to install your return line, do it slowly so that you don't cut into the brake line. It took me longer but I got it done.