Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

AC Clutch replacement?

Old 07-31-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Clutch replacement?

Hi, couldn't find any info on my problem with the search feature, so here goes.

1993 Pickup with 22RE. A/c has been working fine for a couple of years, stopped blowing cold a few days ago.

The compressor clutch looks bad - there is black goop like a melted o-ring or something sticking out the front of the pulley (not the compressor shaft, the front of the pressure plate)

At idle, the compressor will engage, but then disengages immediately. Pressure hi and lo side is 105 PSI at 90F.

So I'm thinking it's the clutch that is blown. Here's a pic - what's the black stuff - oil from the compressor or from some part of the clutch (bearings?)

Question is:
Is it the clutch that is blown probably?

Can the clutch be replaced with a kit like this? And can the clutch be replaced on the car, or do I have to remove the compressor? I have the FSM but they like to make extra, unnecessary work for me, including 3 SSTs that look like they aren't that special.....I saw a post where a guy said no need to take compressor off, but I'm not sure how he did it.

I'm hoping this wasn't caused by me putting R134a in without changing the mineral oil out from the original R12 system. I was an a/c idiot then, and someone told me it would be OK. Stupid move. Anyway, live and learn right?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 07-31-2009, 02:24 PM

Found out what the sticky goop is - it's the rubber connecting the outer metal ring of the pressure plate with the inner ring. So it obviously wore out and broke and the inner ring is now no longer connected to the outer ring, hence clutch won't engage.

what caused it to break is of course another question - too high pressure on the compressor? Old rubber?

I guess that's irrelevant until I replace it.

any suggestions on the easiest way to replace the pressure plate? What is the SST the FSM talks about and do I need it to get just the clutch plate off?

Also, I haven't found a clutch plate for sale at any of the online stores. Hope I don't have to go to the stealership for it.....
Old 07-31-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You and I are in the same damn boat. My clutch took a dump on me, still blows cold but without the AC engaged the clutch bearing makes a grinding noise.

You can remove it without pulling the compressor.... sort of.

Pull the fan shroud for more room, take off the belt, remove the intake tube that goes into the plenum (where the throttle body is) for more room, then remove the 4 12MM bolts holding the compressor to the engine. You should be able to rotate the compressor down and forward enough to get to the front of the clutch plate. You can either use a clutch puller rented from Autozone or a pry bar to get the old clutch off, I recommend the puller. It might be easier to get the front piece off with the compressor still bolted to the engine. Play that one by ear.

Once the front plate is loose you can remove it then grab a large pair of snap ring pliers to remove the second plate, then again with the pliers for the last piece. You also need to disconnect the wires (one small plug and a small screw on top of the compressor). Then put it back together in the reverse order with the new plates.

If you happen to find a replacement clutch kit PLEASE pm me or let me know what you bought, where and what the part number is. I've been looking for one for almost 2 months and haven't found the correct one yet. My clutch plate has a keyway in it and all the "factory" ones I've seen have splines.

Luck!!
Old 07-31-2009, 06:28 PM

Thanks for that info.

As far as I can tell, it is just the pressure plate on mine that is gone. Perhaps when I pull it off it will show there is more wrong, but hope springs eternal.

Regarding the clutch - I haven't found a clutch by itself anywhere, but I did find a clutch bearing and the snap ring and shims kit at advanceautoparts.com. Sounds like it is just your clutch bearing that is gone. Perhaps a new bearing and snap rings is all you need?

If you find a clutch pressure plate or clutch in your search, please also let me know. Otherwise I'll have to superglue my pressure plate together....

Last edited by pdrayton; 07-31-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I just replaced the compressor and clutch...cheaper in the long run IMO.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:31 AM

I hear you.

But all that is ostensibly wrong with mine is the pressure plate. Seems like a lot of money to replace the compressor too, unless I'm looking in the wrong place...

What brand and where did you get your compressor? The one's I saw were at least $250 for remans, and I've heard remans are no good.

Did you find any clutches for sale anywhere?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
From my local aftermarket guy. It is a 20+ year old compressor and clutch. Didn't want to spend all that time and effort fixing a wear part. Clutch and compressor together so all I had to do a few bolts and it was switched. I will keep the old one and see if it is OEM, if so, rebuild it and keep it on a shelf until I need it. Clutch kits at the dealer or aftermarket but they were like $150.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Waskilly and pdrayton, sorry to jump in on your thread, I have a question for you guys re: a/c, would the a/c compressor or clutch cause any kind of noise (kind of like a ping but it's not a ping) at higher RPMs? I've been having this when using the A/C lately (and only when A/C is on).
In order to 'refresh' the A/C unit, did you swap in a new clutch and compressor waskilly or did you go with a clutch kit instead? I get the feeling that you bought a new clutch/compressor, if so did you get it at Napa? If you don't mind PMing me how much you paid that'd be great! Thanks...PS. is this an easy install?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:29 AM

You MUST replace the evaporator drier and vacuum the system and put more oil in when replacing the compressor. Easy, yes, but must be done right.

Also best to flush the system with solvent to get debris out.

Not sure about the noise, but since the compressor is really the only moving part, it is probably that.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 AM

OK, more annoying questions.....

I found an APG reman compressor for $240. Seems good, but which of these is for my 93 22RE pickup?

Fit Note: "0.8 Inch Mount To Groove, 1 Groove"
Fit Note: 1 Groove
Fit Note: "0.6 Inch Mount To Groove, 1 Groove"
What the heck are they talking about?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would something like this be a good choice?