Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

A340H Transmission Filter/Screen change

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A340H Transmission Filter/Screen change

I am changing the fluid in the transmission (A340 on my 88 V6) and replacing the leaking pan gasket, when I though..."I'll change the filter too". I'm not experienced with auto transmissions, but I've seen the basics (fluid, filters, cooling lines, etc.). When I pulled the pan down, I found what looks like a filter, or a screen kept by a long container bolted to the valve body. It looks like the entire container can be removed with four bolts, or the filter could be removed without removing the container if I removed several of those bolts. I tried the latter and found the lid of the container will not come down after removing all the bolts. The screen actually looks brand new (possible the previous owner just did a transmission service, since all the fluids were really fresh).

Can someone help educate me what I'm looking at? I'm thinking about just replacing the pan gasket itself, but thought I'd go through the exercise of removing and inspecting the filter.

Thanks!

(SORRY THE IMAGES ARE SO BIG - NOT SURE WHY THEY DIDN'T RESIZE ON UPLOAD)

Last edited by spddm0n; 04-14-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to remove all 11 bolts. The screen in crimped into the metal housing side folds. The screen and housing are one assembly. The housing is stuck to the valve body by the gasket. You need to pull harder and it will come off when all the bolts are removed.

If the screen is clogged with debris, it can either be replaced, or flushed out with parts cleaner. They generally don't need to be cleaned or replaced often.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:17 AM

Interesting. Ok, thanks! It looks clean and new. I think it might have just been serviced (previous owner). I'll leave it in (the whole assembly) for now and just seal it back up. Thanks for confirming how it comes out.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Autozone charges $18 for the whole shootin' match (filter and two gaskets). Transmissions are not like engines; the fluid doesn't LOOK bad for quite a while. (And you're not going to pour the old, but good lookin', fluid back in, are you?) Since you've got it open, you might as well put in a new one.

With the pan out, you can see the magnets (they just stick to the pan like, well, magnets.) They'll be covered with black fur, which is tiny bits of metal ground out of your transmission. Clean those up (paper towel), and put 'em back in the pan where they came from.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I saw those kits, but it sounded like the replacement filters were paper, rather than metal (screen). Is that accurate? I might prefer to maintain the one I have, since it is is good shape (looks brand new). I will certainly replace the fluid.