Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

A340H problems and rebuilding questions

Old 09-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A340H problems and rebuilding questions

I drove home the other day from a camping trip about 500 km away. The next morning my truck wouldn't go anywhere. I put it in Drive and it rolls forward an inch or two and then i put it in reverse and it rolls back an inch or two. 1st and 2nd do what drive does, 4wd does nothing, but park still holds the vehicle still and won't let it roll.

the fluid that came out when i flushed it was quite dark and a little smelly.

I understand from other reading that this almost definately means my clutch packs are gone and i need a new tranny or a rebuild. Does anyone have an idea of what I should be replacing for sure or do i just replace all the wear-outable parts inside.

I am just curious because i am learning as I go why the Parking position would still hold the truck still?

I don't care much to spend a couple of thousand on a new tranny and someone to put it in for me so I will attempt the rebuild myself. I have the room the patience and the time so why not.

If anyone could suggest a good rebuild kit to go with I would appreciative.

thanks
Old 09-01-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldrupert
I am just curious because i am learning as I go why the Parking position would still hold the truck still?
When you put the truck in Park, the parking pawl engages one of the notches on the output shaft. It does not matter what has happened to your clutch packs, the parking pawl is going to keep the output shaft from rotating.

It sounds like your torque converter is bad. When all forward gears and reverse are faulty, the torque converter is often suspect.

I you have a problem in only one, or a couple gears, then I would suspect a faulty clutch pack.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:36 AM

thanks rustypigeon

I was going to replace the torque converter if i rebuilt the tranny. So do you think i should try putting in the new torque converter first and trying it before pulling the whole thing apart?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 340H is not a tranny to be tearing into unless you're good with tools and mechanical stuff. You also need some special tools (which you can make yourself) to do the job. It's not all that expensive, but you need plenty of clean table space to keep all the parts sorted and a good service manual.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:42 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I am a pretty good mechanic and maybe not not the best troubleshooter, but I would have to agree with InternetRadkill on this one. Rebuilding any transmission let alone an auto one is a difficult task that not alot of regular mechanics will do. There is a reason why there a transmission specialty shops. I have worked in one, but not as a rebuilder just an R&R (remove and replace guy). Personally I would either find a replacement trans and possibly replace it yourself or let the pros rebuild it if you think it's bad. You can save alot by removing it yourself and replacing it yourself and just hand the trans over to the shop by itself.

The furthest I would go internally and have done before is replace the valve body and install shift kits. But that's it.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 09-02-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:56 PM

what else to do when replacing an auto transmission

So after waiting awhile and just driving my little subaru for the summer I really want my 4x4 for the winter.
I just bought a used tranny with 120,000 miles on it with beautiful clear and red fluid from a trusted hobby mechanic family.

I have the old tranny out now but before i put the "new" one in what else should i do?

My old one had a very good condition separate tranny cooler and the new one came with one too, should i hook them both up in line to cool the fluid even more?

Should I replace the rear main seal while i am at the back of the engine?

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man if you was down here I had my A340H rebuilt for like 1200 with tax and a one year warranty just as soon as i bought it! It was one of the only two places that would rebuild it within like a 100 mile radius, especially when we told them it was a "automatic from a toyota"! lol
The following users liked this post:
Justin Carroll (12-10-2019)