86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A340H forward shift to top shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A340H forward shift to top shift

92 4Runner, what all goes into swapping a forward shift A340H, to a top shift A340H?
I'm snowed in at the moment so getting under my truck isn't happening, but from memory I think the trans is the same, just the transfer cases are different.
How difficult is this swap? Linkage, drivelines, electrical? Evertthing oher than interior alteration.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:50 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Huh???

I thought that theA340H uses an electric/hydraulic controlled t-case??

In any case, I don't think a forward shift case could be used in any circumstance. There's no provision for a t-case shifter in the auto tranny case???

Last edited by millball; 02-07-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:41 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
Huh???

I thought that theA340H uses an electric/hydraulic controlled t-case??

In any case, I don't think a forward shift case could be used in any circumstance. There's no provision for a t-case shifter in the auto tranny case???
x2 Huh???

Perhaps he means an F for an H, or chain for gears. In either case there are no internal shift rods.

Dual tcase? I'm not sure how that works at all on the automatic.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:07 AM

OK, let me clarify.
Currently on my 4runner, is the A340H. Has linkage on both sides of the trans. One side shifts the transfer case, the other side shifts the "PRNDL".
I just picked up another trans/t-case with the same 30-80LE tag (A340H). BUUUUTTT, it has linkage on side of the bell housing (different from what's on my truck now) to shift the "PRNDL" and has a stick coming out of the top of transfer case.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:05 AM

UPDATE: From 100 google searches I believe I finally found the info I need. The "30-80LE" tags designates the A340H, AND the A340F. The 340H has a forward shift, hydraulic controlled, integral t-case. While the 340F, has a top shift, mechanically shifted t-case.
Am I wrong? how's the compatibility on the swapping of these two (swappin out a 340H and putting in a 340F)?
Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 AM

Not a lot of off the top help here but....

I'm not sure how that's supposed to work, you need a rear passenger to shift for you?
Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by 92runna
UPDATE: From 100 google searches I believe I finally found the info I need. The "30-80LE" tags designates the A340H, AND the A340F. The 340H has a forward shift, hydraulic controlled, integral t-case. While the 340F, has a top shift, mechanically shifted t-case.
Am I wrong? how's the compatibility on the swapping of these two (swappin out a 340H and putting in a 340F)?

Only took me two.
helps they were Toyota diagrams with explanations.
Don't think the computer cares but haven't checked yet.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:35 AM

What does a rear passenger have anything to do with shifting its an auto tranny? and if I need to shift to 4wd, I can stop and reach back for it. That's the least of my concern.
There is also a foot on of snow on the ground so pictures aren't happening right now, at least not of the one on my truck. But I'm also not sure what you need pictures for.

I believe the trannys are the same, besides bell housing, transfer case, and shift linkage. The tcase I'm putting in is top shift. The other is forward shift.

Will I need to do any altering of the electrical, or drivelines? that's my only concern right now.
Maybe your magical googling skills can find those answers in 2 searches?
Old 02-07-2017, 10:57 AM

What does a rear passenger have anything to do with shifting its an auto tranny? and if I need to shift to 4wd, I can stop and reach back for it. That's the least of my concern.
There is also a foot on of snow on the ground so pictures aren't happening right now, at least not of the one on my truck. But I'm also not sure what you need pictures for.
I was picturing a transfer case shifter in the backseat obviously. There is presumably a linkage that will put it forward somewhere

Because we like pictures. And since I as posting at the same time you were it still wasn't clear you had an a340F tcase.

I believe the trannys are the same, besides bell housing, transfer case, and shift linkage. The tcase I'm putting in is top shift. The other is forward shift.

Will I need to do any altering of the electrical, or drivelines? that's my only concern right now.
Maybe your magical googling skills can find those answers in 2 searches?
Only half magic today.
link post uh 76,can't find the Marlin one

You'll have issues with the torque converter, and the a340h computer. Swap one shaft, unpin the 4th solenoid.

So far that's all I've got
Old 02-07-2017, 11:05 AM

I have the torque converter for the new tranny.
Will I have to swap the computer or can I alter the wiring somehow?
Are you talking about the output shaft? I'm not swapping t-cases, I'm swapping whole assemblies, tranny+t-case. Would I still need to swap a shaft?
And as for the 4th solenoid, I thought there were only 3? lol
Old 02-07-2017, 11:15 AM

https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=2706.0
If you read here it almost sounds like Marlin is saying the ECU's are compatible, just the speed sensor is funky.
ORRR did I read that wrong?
Old 02-07-2017, 11:25 AM

I have the torque converter for the new tranny.
Will I have to swap the computer or can I alter the wiring somehow?
Are you talking about the output shaft? I'm not swapping t-cases, I'm swapping whole assemblies, tranny+t-case. Would I still need to swap a shaft?
And as for the 4th solenoid, I thought there were only 3? lol
I found this link, which is probably maybe the article/walkthrough the other guy was referring to.

Q&A
The first link says he just disconnected the transfer case solenoid wires, iirc but my memory is pretty crappy.

Input shaft or pump spline count is different.

There might be a difference in the torque converter depths, or guy just didn't have all the parts required and uses the H one he had.

S1,S2,SL,S4 don't look at me like that I didn't do it. Lol #4 is the gear reduction for 4Low.. #1&2 are transmission gears, L is lockup, 4 is tcase gear reduction

PS. I've been interested in this swap for my 22rte but never dug into it much other than to know it's an improvement and doable..

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 02-07-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:47 AM

Cool man, I will try to find somewhere dry to pull my truck into, compare the two trannys. hopefully be able to get some pictures for you.