Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 RVZE Timing Belt won't line up

Old 12-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 RVZE Timing Belt won't line up

First Thanx to everyone who has been helping me through my first timing belt. Its a lot easier than I first expected in fact have been enjoying it. Im almost done but have my first true problem.
Both Cams never removed. Crank & Cams alined at TDC.
FSM step #9, C) w/wrench on bolt not sst I slightly turn appx. 1 tooth the LH Cam CW & align timing mark w/ belt mark. D) w/wrench on bolt not sst I re-align CCW LH Cam timing mark w/#3 cover mark. the manual makes no mention of it, but I have no slack to take up so when I re-align LH cam it pulls the crank to 5 Btdc on #1 cover. Step #10, with slight force I am slipping the belt onto the RH Cam with no trouble lining up the belt mark at tdc on the cam and #3 cover mark. Steps 11 fan bracket, 12 & 13 tensioner go with out a hitch. Step #14 two turns timing check. I start with both Cams lined up tdc with belt marks. The crank is at 5 btdc. I turn CW and stop at #1 cylinder @ tdc. The belt marks are no were close to lining up and RH cam is 1/2 tooth off while LH cam is almost 1 full tooth off. Both towards the drivers side (LH?). I've redone the procedure 9 times with various twinks but get the same result. Need a suggestion

Last edited by Catamount; 12-13-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 AM

most recent observation. If I turn LH Cam CCW 3/4 tooth it and RH Cam line up while the crank lines up with 10 btdc. Also make note that I started a thread last week because I found when starting this job I had just opened the covers and lined #1 cylinder @ top of stroke both cams lined up tdc but crank lined up @ 15 btdc. The engine has always run fine and been serviced (T.B.) by a well qualified mechanic.

Last edited by Catamount; 12-13-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:54 PM

The job is now finished the engine with just over 300,000 miles is running great. Thanx to everyone who helped me through this. Really wasn't that difficult just a lot of wrenching and time to learn. Keeping the cams aligned I tried a few alternative crank alignments with the same results. I also tried re-installing the old belt by chance there was something wrong with the new belt. Fortunately even though I was going to throw the old belt away I marked it before I removed it ! which made this trial installment possible. same result. So now I knew I had a procedure situation not missing or extra teeth. The light bulb came on, its like pulling your horses front legs to get the creases out from under the girth. The FSM #9 e suggests that 9d is to take up slack in order to send it to the other side for the tensioner to take up. So I put the crank bolt on and used a wrench to hold crank relatively still while I performed #9d (re-aligning LH cam to match #3 cover mark). I was saving it for later but went ahead and turned the distributor so the rotor contact aligned with the plastic wiring hub which is the same width. I just noticed they lined up when I started the job and had first brought #1 cylinder to top of stroke. Don't know if made a difference here. Any how holding the crank still while I re-aligned the cam took up the belt slack (at first I didn't think I had) then sliding the belt onto RH cam (all lined up) was a breeze. The two revolution test with the crank at TDC brought the cam marks to within 1/16" ish or less of the cover marks. I was a little worried cam alignment wasn't perfect while I put it all back together but it started right up (quick test). So apparently there's a tinny wiggle room on the cam alignment. I installed and filled the radiator, fan, belts, etc. let it warm at idle connected a timing light made a slight timing adjustment and its good to go. Thanx again and I trust my observations will help someone else.

Last edited by Catamount; 12-14-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:02 PM

Crankshaft at zero.Adjust timing by turning distributor when belt is installed at completion of reassembly.