Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 Runner 3.0 code 14 and 52

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 95 Runner 3.0 code 14 and 52

OK . Newbie to the yota world. Picked up a 95 4runner with the 3.0 . 160k. Decent rig all around but minor problems. Seemed to run fine untill a highway trip when I noticed I had no power pulling normal hills. I was forced to run 3rd gear to hold 50mph over 3k rpm . I pulled over and found I had a plug wire grounding on the erg line. A quick zip tie fix and I was back on the road . After the quick fix I had a little more power but still uncomfortable on the highway. I made it home and drove it the next day around town with no problems untill I hit a hill. Still power problems. Just a steady slow down and drop in rpms. The rig starts great. Idels a little ruff but not horrible. I pulled codes 14 and 52 this morning.
2mrrow I plan to check spark and make sure I'm firing on all cylinders . Because it does seem to miss a little kind of surging when cruising but hard to notice. I will also be checking ignition Timming .

So question is with codes 14 and 52 and the power problems discussed what do you guys think overall. ? Could a bad plug wire causing a miss cause a code 14 then resulting knock pull a code 52 ? Is there anything I should check before buying plugs and wires ?

I originally thought it might have been a bad cat but then after I pulled codes I don't think that's the problem. Any help or advise would be much appreciated.