86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 4Runner 3.0 Newbie Seeking Direction

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4Runner 3.0 Newbie Seeking Direction

Hey guys, just started an acount after fiddling with a 4runner I bought. I drove it around for 6 months, and it made a prrtty loud tick sound, but Ive been trying to sell it because I got another car recently. Nobody will buy it because it makes a spooky sound. Looking back when I bought it, the p.o must have known it was ducked, it has a new radiator, and valve cover gaskets. Somebody worked on it before me.

Ive been reading threads here and there for a couple weeks, but have not really narowed down where I should start. I took my valve cover off, and realized going any further would be a pretty big commitment. I got new plugs, did an oil change and added some 'snake oil' to help noisy lifters.

I am looking for some direction on where to start out at. If anyone could suggest a logical process, that's where I stumble all over myself.

I drive a 95 4runner, 3.0 v6 with 193k miles on it. Making a ticking sound in sync with rpms. Coming from near cylinder 2. Where do I start?

Compression? Leakdown? Valve adjustment? Exhaust manifold donut? Scrap yard for 200 bucks?
Old 03-15-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Post a video of the tick. These engines have an inherent ticking noise about them. It could be perfectly normal and something you're not used to hearing maybe.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:10 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
If you're in Michigan, I'd give ya $225

But yet, posting a video would be good. When I hear a noise described as a tick, 3 things come to mind. Normal injector noise (you said only cyl 2 so maybe not), valve(s) out of adjustment, and possible wrist pin (kind of a knock/tick type of noise). The wrist pin noise typically goes away with a slight increase in rpm when it isn't super bad. Valve and injector noises would always be present. If it was a 22r/re I'd throw timing chain slap as another possible cause, but the V6's have a timing belt.

For the exhaust leak on the manifold... ever hear a Chevy truck run? They almost always have an exhaust manifold leak and has a sort of tick type of sound to it. If this is the cause, it should increase in volume as you give it more gas (more pressure etc), the other things above would be more likely to be drowned out by other noises at higher rpm.

Good luck finding the source of the possible problem, hopefully it's a simple fix, or just a normal thing.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start with a compression check, then pull the spark plug wire out of dist, one at a time........this might isolate the issue.
a short video with sound will get some answers.
good luck
Old 03-17-2017, 01:07 PM

when engine is running pull the dip stick and see if you can find any tiny metal shavings. thats a good indicator of a bad component in the block. which is what i'm going through right now.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:13 PM

The tick sound from the injectors will always be there in any of these engines. It's not a real spooky sound but is a ticking sound none the less. You will likely only hear it when you are idling and walking around the truck. If the tick is one that you hear as you accelerate, like at the bottom of a gear, just after it shifts and you are accelerating, it's probably an exhaust leak. My 3.0 has one but I'm all to familiar with this condition, which is not really damaging the engine or vehicle, and I know what it will take to fix it. It's a PITA but can be fixed inexpensively if It really bothers you or makes it impossible to sell. If you can verify that's what it is "video would help", and you still want to tackle it, ask for some more advice on how to do it. You don't want to round off any of the exhaust nuts while taking it apart or you will really be in a pickle. If done carefully and you take your time, it's not a big deal.

Oh, and I got a little ahead of myself. An exhaust leak can make that noise if it's on your down pipe or at your cat as well which is much easier. You did say you thought it was coming from around #2. Sound origins can be deceptive. I think someone above mentioned pulling off one plug wire at a time. That's a good test that's easy to do. If you have a problem with a single cylinder, it can make it easier to isolate. Compression test is a great idea as well. If you get bad readings, you can narrow down your list of possible issues. If you get good readings, you can show them to potential buyers.

Let me know if I can help further. Posting a video would be a great start.