Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 4runner 3.0 head/engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4runner 3.0 head/engine removal

Im a newbie here.. and im going to do what alot of forums hate, but i havent been able to find the info needed, so im going to just ask..
I picked up a 05 4runner 3.0 with a problem no one has ever had to fix...the cyl. head gaskets are blown (said with alot of sarcasm ) anyways it was a great deal..and the work has been started. i have seen alot of stuff on a recall, so today im going to see if it is within the dates, and see if the recall is still applicable.. but the question is.. is there any write up on the head removals? i havent been able to find much.. i was a gm mechanic, so i can figure it out, but i know there is always "tricks"....so any tips would be wicked awesome...
I am also thinking about just yanking the motor and doing a complete reseal.. it came with all the gaskets, so why not? and tips on engige removal?
oh and... it came with some aftermarket head gaskets? i should probably go oe? they arent even flepro..
Thanks in advance for info, And i am happy to finally be 4x4 toyota owner.. I will post pics of my progress
Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 PM

I'm a new toyota owner myself after owning pretty much nothing but GM, I don't share the same happy feeling as you though with my owning a toyota thus far Everything is so foriegn to me, but maybe a happy feeling will come with time once I get to know my truck a little better.
Personally, I think the LAST gasket I'd want to use is the same one that has you needing to use them in the first place. JMO. I've always had great luck with felpro.

Last edited by newTOyotas; 02-17-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 AM

yeah.. they say that the redesigned it tho.. the ones that came with it were evergreen (i think).. i never heard of them, so i may get the felpros at least.. i heard to use copper coat too... i think i am going to pull the engine and do a oil pan reseal, rear main and what not since it is down anyways (oil pan is like a 5 hour job in vehicle.
i havent been able to find the link again, but someone was saying that the poor design of the 3.0 was that #6 cyl head gasket area gets too hot from the exhaust manifold, and thats why they go...so a real preventative thing to do is put some good quality headers on .. so i may do that too..
worked on it for the first time yesterday, and didnt have the tools to remove power steering pump pulley, and had to get to work (garage door broke as i was closing it to ...almost fell on my uncles 67 camaro ..yikes) so next weeks ill be ripping into it. ..
Old 02-18-2011, 07:07 AM

here it is! a little dirty, but in great shape
Name:  runnerdayone.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  enginehowigotit.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  47.9 KB
Old 02-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by azjohnnyv
... but i havent been able to find the info needed, so im going to just ask..
You obviously don't know how to use the search feature then, hint, I like to use the "advanced search" and search under "titles only". You will find a ton of info here on headgaskets. I'll do the first one for you: https://www.yotatech.com/search.php?searchid=8398614

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-18-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:40 AM

Aight thanks..
Old 02-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

This one might help too: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ebuild-201583/
Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Another good one: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...y-turn-115431/
Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

This one looks promising: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...advice-221022/ Edit: yeah this is good!

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-18-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the help
Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 AM

so i have been crazy busy, but i am planning to start rippin' out the engine tomorrow... didnt get far the first time i worked on it.. its all going to be a learning experience due to the fact that 90% of all vehicles i have worked on have been gm vehicles... its nice having my uncles garage to do it in tho (all i have is a carport)..but if it was at my house id probably have it ready to go back in by now. Im also getting the money together for the headers, all that i have seen are 600 plus, which is crazy, esp since the barley fit without a body lift.. but i figure i do what i can to keep the heat away from cyl#6 so i dont have to go throught this a second time..still temted to call toyota to see if its under the special policy, but its half way torn apart, and if there is aftermarket head gaskets already installed that went bad, i would have to fork out money.. and i refuse to pay $100 plus any hour for labor...
Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 AM

Today I finally get to wrench on the runner.. hope to have it ready to pull today.. reading about headers.. still don't know which to go with.. may be thorley if I get the discount I use too..
Old 03-31-2011, 08:10 AM

So i go to prep to pull the motor out then i looked real close at a couple things. i was mostly going to pull it to reseal everything i could along with the head gaskets just as p.m. but all the old oil i was seeing is just commming off of the power steering pump. so then i decided to fo after the famous cross over pipe. all i had left was the pass. side...got it of so i am doing the cyl heads in vehicle. by next trip i should have the heads of...just go to get some funds together cuz i think im going to have the shop regrind the valves, check for cracks, and stuff. still debating headers, making my own down pipe, or just wrapping the exhaust cross over pipe.. not to sure yet..
Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Make sure you adjust the valves after. The valves on these are a PITA. Download the factory service manual if you havent already.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...manual-156129/
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 AM

Yeah I still need to dl that.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 AM

Got the heads off just have to clean and check them.. just hoping they are not warped..
Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 AM

Unfortunately for you every time someone on here thats no in the click posts something they treat you like your stupid and say you didnt search it. Well I am here to say these forums have more holes than swiss cheese. Everything I have ever tried to search has brought back everything but what I was looking for. I even had it out with an administrator asking him who's ass you had to kiss around here to keep a post up. But I will give you much needed help. First off toyota demands any mechanic who does the head gaskets, to replace the knock sensor wire, i see you lower intake is on, check the wire or replace it or you will be taking it all the way apart again. Your upper intake with all the vacuum lines, well hopefeully they left all the lines connected to the upper intake. There is a brether line and gas line that need to be hooked up when you drop the upper intake on. If you removed the fuel injectors, replace all orings. I wish I could say I put my motor back together and my orings didnt leak and my knock sensor wire were good, but it was not the case and i took it apat 3 times to get the check engine light out. Alot of people will tell you that the knock sensor dont matter, and you can disconnect your egr but thats all no good unless you have an strictly off road vehicle! If you need any other help contact me....
Old 04-28-2011, 08:59 AM

Make sure you resurface your heads no matter what. And get a good headgasket and bolts. These trucks blew gaskets because toyota had a run of bad headgaskets, substandard is the word TOYOTA used. So they would blow reguardless of the heat on cylinder #6
Old 04-28-2011, 12:04 PM

I have head gaskets that came with it but may do felpro or get some from Toyota.. they are cheap so I'm not sure about them..they came with the runner .
I'm going to price out re doingthe heads. The knock sensor wire is crappy so I plan on a new one... as far as the upper intake no Li.es attached so I will have fu. With vacuum lines Haha.. I had to rule out headers esp if I take the heads in. Unless I sell some old stuff I have ... if anything I may make a heat shield to help a little.. I have a hook up on some stainless steel..
Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 PM

Take the exhaust manifolds loose from the head but not apart from the whole exhaust, it's much easier. As far as head gaskets go, as long as you resurface the heads and pressure test them its not really gonna matter what head gasket you get. Like I said before they pop the hg because most toyota 3.0's were assembled with bad head gaskets. The knock sensor wire is 16 dollars and my toyota dealer had it in stock.

Quick Reply: 95 4runner 3.0 head/engine removal