Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 3vze 4x4 MT Pickup no start up after OT until 20 minutes later...any ideas?

Old 03-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 3vze 4x4 MT Pickup no start up after OT until 20 minutes later...any ideas?

Hey all,

I have searched the forums for hours and cannot find the same situation I have with my truck. Just got it a few weeks ago. Truck sat for about four years before I bought it. It was running great or so I thought at first. Now I notice when I take a trip and it gets to operating tempurature and I turn engine off, it will not immediately start or fire up. It will crank till the battery dies but does not fire. I wait up to 20 minutes and it will fire up and run great like nothing happened.

This has happened twice lately and the only thing I can tell by all the research on this forum is it is most likely the COR. It seems like whatever the cause, once it cools down, it fires right up.

If anyone else has any input please respond.

I have not tested anything yet, I don't have the tools to do so.

I'm new to Toyota trucks and I love it so far even though I have this issue. Please let me know what you think!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:16 AM

Anyone?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 AM

Bad ignitor
Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the tip iselloil!

I have an update for info. Today I started the truck and let it run for about 15 minutes and came back outside to find it had stalled. I turned the ignition and after about 3 cranks over it started to fire so I held the ignition on and it started up, somewhat hesitantly though. Exhaust reaked of fuel after startup but cleared up. I feathered the throttle to keep it running and it went back to normal rpm.

Drove it 10 miles to work and shut it off. I then turned the ignition on again and it started up after 3 or 4 cranks and idled rough and ended up stalling out. I started it again and it stayed idling but the idle was still rough. I pressed the gas pedal and it seemed a little hesitant to get to the rpm up and if I held the rpm's steady, the engine seemed to stumble and rpm's would drop a bit and return.

So, usually after stalling while idling after reaching operating temp or I turn the truck off after reaching operating tempurature, it would crank over but not fire. But, today it did fire eventually and ran but seems to hesitate on rpm's.

Hope this helps anyone that knows what may be wrong.

Thanks for any information.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:29 AM

You daid it sat for four years,Did you change the fuel filter and flush the tank?Got fuel pressure at the rails?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 AM

I have not changed the fuel filter yet ...going to try that on my next day off. Probably should flush the tank before putting new filter on I think. I don't have any testers to see how much fuel pressure I have. I'm limited on that kind of thing but I have a lot of hand tools to work with and a garage. But where it's my daily driver, I need to have it back together by next workday. Anyway, thanks for the info and I'll check all of it as I can. At least it still runs and gets me to work!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 AM

4 year old gas has to be the problem.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Hey iselloil, I have put 700 plus miles on the truck and about 3 or 4 tanks of gas through it.. but may have sludge in the tank??
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 AM

I would check fuel pressure,at the rail, and check for spark after it dies.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 AM

Ok, I'll see what I can do. Thank you.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He said it reeked of gas when it finally started.... that tells me he was getting fuel, and either no spark, or low compression.... possibly even a big vacuum leak.
I would start searching for vacuum leaks, especially the intake tube, those tend to crack on the underside, and tho you can hear it, you dont see it unless you take it off and look. And they do expand when warm, so that could be causing the warm start issues.
If no vacuum leaks, test the coil... I have always noticed problems with coils after warming up, but cold start = no problem.
Def change your fuel filter, air filter, and all fluids if it sat for that long! would be a good idea to change plugs/wires/cap/rotor as well.
Hope this helps !

Last edited by Team420; 03-07-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Thanks Team420.. I'll check the cap, rotor and see about the coil testing. The truck had all new plugs, wires, cap, rotor , water pump, belt, head gaskets, clutch, and 02 sensor at the dealer 4000 miles before the truck was tucked away for 4 years. I have all the receipts to show the work done so have no doubt it was. The truck now had 150K on it and all work was done at 146K. Checking for vacuume leaks is easy enough, I'll try that as well. Thanks for the info and will update my post when I find a cause.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 AM

I think I found the issue!! Team 420 was on target, found a vacuum hose that may be cracked but I don't know what it's function is.

It is located on the right side (passenger side) of the EFI intake/plenum? There is a banjo bolt with a metal tube extending downward and under the EFI plenum and the rubber tube slides over the metal tube coming from the banjo bolt. The banjo bolt has an electical connector on top of it.

I found the leak by wiggling the electrical connection and the engine started stumlbing and even stalled out. The more I moved the vacuum lines the more the engine would act up. Anyone know what this vacuum line is and what it's for? Guessing it has something to do with air fuel mix. I can't see where this particular vacuum line goes but appears to connect under the plenum to the throttle body??

After messing with the line, I shoved it back onto the metal portion and it was idling great. I drove about a half mile down the road and stopped at a light and the idle was still dropping and coming back. Went to the next stop light and the engine died. I tried to start it and it cranked over but wouldn't fire at all.I jumped out and got under the hood. I moved the same vacuum line back onto the metal tube a little farther and was able to fire it back up and it ran great.

So it seems this one vacuum line is most if not all my problems.

Can anyone tell me what this line is and what it does/where it goes?

Sorry, I don't have any pics or any way of attaching.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 AM

Is it possible this line is fuel?? I can't seem to find it on the vacuum line diagrams.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 AM

I went to the fsm and it looks like its the cold start injector tube?? So, it should have fuel running through it? There is no hose clamp or anything on the connection to the metal tube and doesn't look like there ever was one....I'll try clamping it and see if that helps.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any lines to the engine with a banjo fitting are fuel supply lines. The one to the cold start injector is easily twisted or broken if someone was not careful removing the plenum. That sounds like a major part of your problem but I would also try to track down why there is no fuel leaking from it.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:15 AM

Hey rustyf99, the fsm says the line is a vacuum line to the gas filter?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:59 PM

I have checked the FSM and it appears the rubber tube attached to the fitting at the cold start injector is "vacuum line to the gas filter". My shop manager spoke with a Toyota tech and he said the line was a fuel line. Can anyone tell me what this line is fuel or vacuum? Or does anyone have any specific diagrams of the complete Cold Start Injector system?

I put a zip tie on the rubber line to hold it onto the metal portion leading to the injector and truck runs great. The rubber line has pulled away from the thicker metal portion of the tube and I can't seem to get it back onto the larger part to seat it.

Right now, I'm pulling hair out trying to figure out this system. Any help would be appreciated. Truck seems be running fine with just a zip tie holding the rubber line on!

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On both my 95 and 94 Runners, that is a pressurized gas line that feeds from the fuel rail to the cold start injector. I broke the one on my 94 and no repair held ... I had to replace the line. But, if the zip tie works and it's your DD, run it until you can get a replacement part. The zip tie will fail sooner or later, and you will be leaking gas all over. You will have to remove or at least unbolt and tilt up the plenum to replace that hose (but it's fairly easy job)- so, order a new plenum gasket too!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:22 AM

Hey rustyf99, I don't know why it isn't leaking at this point but it works so far. I also found a loose ground wire on the back of the intake below the plenum. I tightened up the bolt and truck runs perfect now. No skips, misses or sputtering! Thanks for all the help everyone! Problem solved.