Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 v6 pickup cutting out help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 94 v6 pickup cutting out help!

i have a 94 pickup with about 223,000 miles and a while ago i took out my catalytic converter to make it throatier and such like i have seen many others do and also a little while after installed a cold air intake and for some reason at lower rpms or even in high rpms in 4th or 5th gear on the highway when you stomp on it it will get on it but will like almost like jerk or lose power for like a half second and then pick back up fine like its getting too much fuel or air?....idk.... anyway it became so annoying i bought a new cat and installed the factory intake back on to what seemed like would resolve the issue because it ran fine before i made all the mods and it helped a little but still does it.. it seems like it does it more and more the longer you drive it and the warmer it gets, all that i can think of is i have kind of a sketchy fitting vacume hose that may or may not leak, could be a bad o2 sensor, or i have seen that maybe an injector is gunked up? im new to this form and this is my first post so if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-29-2013, 11:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just what engine are you working with ??

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed??

Last major tune up.

At that mileage have the vacuum hoses been replaced are they hard and brittle??

All stepping on the throttle does is give it air fuel is controlled through the computer and injectors .
Old 11-30-2013, 01:06 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just what engine are you working with ??

Thread title says 94 V6 so I am gonna say 3.0 3VZ...
Old 11-30-2013, 04:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

My bad missed that one.

Could be a 3.4 though or a buick V6 these trucks who can say.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Thehollywood811
i have a 94 pickup with about 223,000 miles and a while ago i took out my catalytic converter to make it throatier and such like i have seen many others do and also a little while after installed a cold air intake and for some reason at lower rpms or even in high rpms in 4th or 5th gear on the highway when you stomp on it it will get on it but will like almost like jerk or lose power for like a half second and then pick back up fine like its getting too much fuel or air?....idk.... anyway it became so annoying i bought a new cat and installed the factory intake back on to what seemed like would resolve the issue because it ran fine before i made all the mods and it helped a little but still does it.. it seems like it does it more and more the longer you drive it and the warmer it gets, all that i can think of is i have kind of a sketchy fitting vacume hose that may or may not leak, could be a bad o2 sensor, or i have seen that maybe an injector is gunked up? im new to this form and this is my first post so if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated!
With all the mods done and then the undoing of them, have you checked for any stored codes?
Old 11-30-2013, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by ksti
With all the mods done and then the undoing of them, have you checked for any stored codes?
No i have not and by checking for codes do you mean doing the method that you use the blinking of the check engine light to get the code? im new to finding codes and dont have a device you can plug in to find them..
Old 11-30-2013, 10:52 PM

To check codes use a paper clip to go from port e1 - t1 or te1 I believe I can't remember the last one but then turn key into the on position check for codes by blinking light
Old 12-01-2013, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Edionne13
To check codes use a paper clip to go from port e1 - t1 or te1 I believe I can't remember the last one but then turn key into the on position check for codes by blinking light
ended up not getting to checking for codes today hopefully will do it tomorrow and let you know what comes up thanks for helping the newbie
Old 12-02-2013, 06:48 AM

ended up not getting to checking for codes today hopefully will do it tomorrow and let you know what comes up thanks for helping the newbie
No problem I'm there with ya. Learn as ya go
Old 12-02-2013, 11:05 AM

Forgot to mention that it reduces the amount of cutting out it does when I use higher octane fuel if that matters!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:58 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Hollywood.. 223k miles is quite a bit. Assuming it's been maintained properly though we'll ignore all of the possible issues and go to fuel filter first. relatively inexpensive, you should take a look at it. Remove it, blow through it with your mouth and explain what the resistance is like. you should get very little resistance. That's what I would do first.

most other things require lot more work..

tell us a little about the history of it's maintenance.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Edionne13
Just checked for codes and it blinked continuously so there isint any codes -_- this thing loves being difficult!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gevo
Hollywood.. 223k miles is quite a bit. Assuming it's been maintained properly though we'll ignore all of the possible issues and go to fuel filter first. relatively inexpensive, you should take a look at it. Remove it, blow through it with your mouth and explain what the resistance is like. you should get very little resistance. That's what I would do first.

most other things require lot more work..

tell us a little about the history of it's maintenance.
Hey there is 2 nipple like things on the top and one on the bottom, which do I blow into?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New plugs/ wires, rotor can help.
Got an air leak?
A new O2 sensor might help as well.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:40 PM

Hollywood.. I dont know of amy nipples. My 91 v6 has simple 1 in one out. Ill have to look at a 94 v6 fuel filter. But look for arrows or the words 'in' 'out' on the filter
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 AM

Hollywood.. I dont know of amy nipples. My 91 v6 has simple 1 in one out. Ill have to look at a 94 v6 fuel filter. But look for arrows or the words 'in' 'out' on the filter
That was my bad I figured it out, I went and got a new filter and still gotta put it in today, the PO stripped out the front hex nut on the fuel line that threads into the filter....awesome
Old 12-03-2013, 08:27 AM

Yeah ill try new plugs, I think the current ones are a little gunked up from it running a little rich without a cat, if the fuel filter doesnt work im gonna get an O2 sensor and plugs
Old 12-03-2013, 05:22 PM

That was my bad I figured it out, I went and got a new filter and still gotta put it in today, the PO stripped out the front hex nut on the fuel line that threads into the filter....awesome
Filter didnt help, still acting the same. If I did the o2 sensor would you recomend trying the upstream or down stream first?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Im not sure. You shouldnt just start replacing parts tho.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:06 PM

Disconnect the hose from the main EGR valve and test again.
EGR might be slow to close, Bad EGR modulator or the VSV (green)is getting plugged.
Also bypass the red (brown) VSV and test again.

If you change the O2 sensor change the up stream, The down stream only detects CAT is bad.

Quick Reply: 94 v6 pickup cutting out help!