Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'94 pickup engine and trans replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 pickup engine and trans replacement

Hi guys, I'm Keith
I have this '94 pickup, bare bones, 5 speed, 4 cyl 22-re. It has about 205,000. It started popping out of third and fourth recently. It runs good but it's pretty noisy. Sometimes I smell a little coolant.

I don't have enough bread for a new truck. I have about enough to buy another one just like it that will be over 200,000 in a couple of years. Maybe it's not the truck I might choose to rebuild, but it's the one I got. It's got a good interior, and the bench seat is still comfy. It isn't all dented up, except for the front is kinda squished. All the Toyota pickups I ever had were a little squished up front, so it just seems normal.
I'm shopping around for a new engine and 5 speed. I'm 54 and this thing has to last me, if you know what I mean. I have some bread for this and I'm thinking, "brand new engine" Hooray. I looked at these:
http://www.japanengine.com/products/...ge=%200&pID=40
https://www.toyotatruckengine.com/br...r-22re-engine/
I was feeling pretty good about japan engine. But it turns out that both these companies have pretty bad reputations. One reason I wanted to start this thread is to talk about that. A moment of silence for all the poor folks who shelled out good money for a engine that did not perform and ended up on the side of the road like the grapes of wrath.
Many thanks to all the forums for all the good imfo I have been studying. I wish I would have had this when I was a kid. I'm thinking about this one: http://www.sunwestautomotiveengines.com/lb-toyota.html
That's probably the one I figure. The price is correct and the rep is good and the timeline is reasonable. There's going to be shipping and core return. My core that I want to use is seized so I don't know if they will want it. It's from my old '87 motorhome, which is what I want to put my running engine into after I take it out just to make it a roller. I'm pretty attached to my free floating one ton rear end with 100,000 and the 500 bucks of new brakes I put in that before it died. I'm probably going to sell that off but I have my tiny home dreams for that thing and I could put some water tanks on it in the meantime for sucking water out of the creek for my off grid lifestyle.
Then there is of course: http://www.22reperformance.com/
I'm trying to talk myself into it. I'm in Lake county Ca. and Chico is not far away so I can go get it inexpensively, saving on shipping.
I'm thinking of installing it myself. I went to my mechanic here in town and he wasn't interested. The other guys here in town said OK but after talking to them I know I would only want a Toyota specific shop. It seems doable for me. I have the time. I'm hoping you guys will help me out.
The other engine choice is a Jasper but with them being back east it just seems like there's going to be too much shipping and expense.
The 5 speed I'm looking at is from Marin Crawlers in Fresno. https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm...complete/w56-e I'm getting a good feeling about that.
It seems better to get both and set up the engine before on a stand. Then put them both together and drop it in that way. Seems awkward but I'm sure that is best. It's the finishing of it that concerns me most. I would like to just tow it to the mechanic at that point but I haven't found anybody that wants that job yet. Maybe it's not that bad. It's a bare bones truck so no power anything.
Easy right? Thanks.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:21 PM

I recently swapped out an engine on a 94 4x4 22re, it's not that bad. My biggest recommendation is to remove the passenger side kick panel and remove your engine wiring harness from the computer and run it through the firewall. I've replaced several 22re's, multiple 3vze's and one 7mge. Done it the same way on all of them. I pull the motor with the wiring harness still attached to the engine. To me it just seems easier to install a new engine with the wiring harness attached (p.s. still remove them slowly so that you are sure all engine to frame grounds are removed), that way you don't have to feel around for connections, then when reinstalling it's just running two bundles of wires back through the firewall and reconnecting to the ecu
Old 04-25-2017, 03:24 PM

btw, the last engine I replaced it wit a jasper engine, for thier warranty you have to install a new oil pickup tube, have receipts, etc, etc. I had one hell of a time finding a new pickup tube for a 4x4, not sure if it is the same for a 2wd. Wish I was able to convince the boss to spend the few extra hundred for the LCE engine.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:25 PM

btw, the last engine I replaced it wit a jasper engine, for thier warranty you have to install a new oil pickup tube, have receipts, etc, etc. I had one hell of a time finding a new pickup tube for a 4x4, not sure if it is the same for a 2wd. Wish I was able to convince the boss to spend the few extra hundred for the LCE engine.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:02 AM

you may just need a new shifter bushing. have you thought about getting the engine serviced? sounds like normal wear and tear.