Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 pickup 22re sluggish bogging idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 pickup 22re sluggish bogging idle issues

Bought this pickup from a buddy after he put a 22re in it out of a camper w/ low mileage. He did a hack job on it. The truck has no power at all from second gear on up, sounds really rough under load, intermittent idling up and down from 0-900 rpms at stops. top speed of 60mph, lagging uphill

I've replaced spark plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap, fuel filter, cleaned battery terminals, searched for all 4 ground wires and cleaned em up. Cleaned throttle body w/ TB cleaner.

This truck has had a bunch of similar issues and I replaced the ect sensor when it popped a code. It ran awesome for a week and then I took it up into the mountains (I didn't rally it) and it started running and sounding rough shortly after being on the bumpy mtn roads. Drove great on the way there and lousy on the way home.

I was checking out the vacuum diagram and realized my buddy had hooked up a bunch of stuff wrong. I fixed what I could but realized there is no resonator and there is no pair valve to hook up to. The hose for the resonator is plugged but for the pair valve it's not. Even after hooking all the remaining vacuum hoses up correctly it didn't change a thing! Not sure what to do. I know the pair is part of emissions and I was thinking of getting rid of all that stuff EGR etc. Is that stuff a possible cause of my problems? I'm also curious if the O2 sensor is a possible cause? It would be fairly cheap to give both of these a shot.

I'm not the best mechanic and it's my first Toyota...appreciate any and all patience. Just got a multimeter and need to figure out how to use it.

Last edited by montanatruck; 07-19-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:30 AM

I suppose I should add that I've been running it w/ the cold start injector switch next to the ect switch unplugged. I have also tried running the truck without the tps plugged in and it doesn't seem to help this turned on the cel.
I tried running the truck w/out the O2 sensor no help this turned on the cel too. I tried the tests from the FSM on the O2 sensor and it failed one of them.
Felt pretty good about my testing procedure on the O2 sensor. When I did the test on the VAFM it passed the first 3 parts but the last two weren't giving me a reading at all. It had been a long day at that point and I gave up.

Hopefully gonna check compression tomorrow and see if I'm wasting my time. Might just go ahead and try to get rid of the EGR/Pair stuff tomorrow if I can figure it out.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:40 PM

Checked my compression today. 150,135,150,115. Not too bad?

Also pulled a spark plug wire today and found out one cylinder isn't firing. It was 150 too. This spark plug has a bunch of oil blow by on it. Spark is going to the wire at least ...shocked the crap out of myself.

Not sure where to look from here. Start with the FSM. Would like to do a search on here but can't figure out what key words to use.

Last edited by montanatruck; 07-20-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:26 PM

OK. So it looks like I'll post here just to remind myself of what I've tried or done.

That cylinder is obviously not getting gas, spark, or air. I'll pull that spark plug out tomorrow and hook it back up to the wire, crank the motor and check for spark. Since I have oil blow by maybe a seal is busted. Perhaps taking off the valve cover and checking out how things look...maybe I'll see what's wrong by comparison. Might not hurt to adjust the valves while I'm in there. My last guess would be to do a check on the injector for that cylinder.

More FSM deciphering.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
150,135,150,115 compression

the 115 is horrible in comparison to the 150. Did you try to shot a little oil into that cylinder then retest? That low cylinder will give you a crappy idle.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What ^he^ said. They should all be around 180psi, but the biggest thing is that they are close to the same. Anything more than a 15psi difference is no good. So you have 1 cyl 15 psi less than the 150, and another 35psi less... that would cause some idling issues for sure. Prolly time to adjust them valves.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:25 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Are the compression numbers so low that I should just get rid of this truck? Are you saying it's possible to get them back up a little with some oil and a valve adjustment?

To be honest, my main concern right now is that the truck is only running on 3 cylinders. When all 4 were banging the truck actually ran and idled fairly well.

Any advice on the process of how to get that cylinder fired back up?

Really liked this little truck but I foresee a mechanic and a for sale sign in it's future.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before you do anything, adjust all your valves. and then do another test. if you get the same numbers or close to it. put a little motor oil in the low reading cylinders through the spark plug hole. Take another reading on those cylinders, if the number s jump up then you have a problems with piston rings. If not you have a problem with your valves, either a burnt one, valve seats, or etc.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by kcaudill
Before you do anything, adjust all your valves. and then do another test. if you get the same numbers or close to it. put a little motor oil in the low reading cylinders through the spark plug hole. Take another reading on those cylinders, if the number s jump up then you have a problems with piston rings. If not you have a problem with your valves, either a burnt one, valve seats, or etc.
Thanks again. I'll try it. Thought the truck had to be running on all 4 cylinders in order to adjust the valves? I brushed over the FSM...I'll look more.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another source for valve adjustment instructions

http://www.lcengineering.com/LCTechP...djustment.html
Old 07-25-2015, 03:55 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. Gonna do a valve adjustment this weekend. So this ended up being a really stupid fix. After I figured out I was running on 3 cylinders I checked out the connection on the fuel injector. It was cracked and had popped off. Popped it back on and she's running pretty good again. Honestly it holds idle at around 800-900 just fine.

I understand that the compression numbers are a little too far apart. But a friend of mine told me since we live at 5,000 ft above sea level that we lose 10-15% of what a compression check should be. Anyone confirm this?
Old 07-25-2015, 01:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If I understand what you're asking correctly..

It's the difference from one cylinder to the other on your engine you need to be concerned about. Any cylinder that has a reading that is 15% lower than the highest is having mechanical problems.

Last edited by Odin; 07-25-2015 at 01:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dernation (04-19-2021)
Old 01-12-2016, 01:46 PM

Random Engine Sputter

Hi guys I need help...

I have a 94 Toyota pickup 22re with roughly 198,000 miles on it. I've driven almost every day and haven't had a problem then 2 times this month it was running normal and all at once it start spitting and sputtering then it died. If I gave it the slightest amount of fuel it just wanted to die even quicker. It happened without warning...no unusual sounds beforehand and then it happened. I just filled it up at the same place I have a few times since I've owned the truck. Nothing else has went wrong besides this incident. I have no idea what it could be and I need to fix this truck it's my own transportation. Is it air? Fuel? Any help is appreciated
Old 03-07-2016, 06:15 PM

@Chase....did you start diagnosing for fuel, air, spark? Did the truck start right back up after dying? Could be a lot of different things. There are dozens of forums that will help you start ruling things out. I had a no start issue last month...did a ton of reading. Ended up putting a new fuel pump and filter on....it runs again.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
... replied to wrong post somehow.

Last edited by Green; 04-21-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chase738
Hi guys I need help...

I have a 94 Toyota pickup 22re with roughly 198,000 miles on it. I've driven almost every day and haven't had a problem then 2 times this month it was running normal and all at once it start spitting and sputtering then it died. If I gave it the slightest amount of fuel it just wanted to die even quicker. It happened without warning...no unusual sounds beforehand and then it happened. I just filled it up at the same place I have a few times since I've owned the truck. Nothing else has went wrong besides this incident. I have no idea what it could be and I need to fix this truck it's my own transportation. Is it air? Fuel? Any help is appreciated

Chase

Mine did that, but I had a huge plume of white smoke out the tailpipe. New heads for me...