86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 dlx pickup 22 re idle problem, jerk when on/off accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 dlx pickup 22 re idle problem, jerk when on/off accelerator

I just bought a 94 pickup w/ a 22 re last week and it has a few issues? Some advice would be appreciated.

For starters it has some idle issues. After it warms up the idle fluctuates up and down until you put it into gear. And then it smooths out. The idle drops to about 800 rpm and then up to 1300 rpm.

Second. Once driving if you let off the accelerator the chasis gives a jerk/clunk, and then the same once you reapply the acclerator it does the same.

Lastly. About 50% of the time, the temperature gauge goes straight to hot after being started for about 3 mins. The truck has a new radiator, water pump, and thermostat. And other than the gauge shows no symptoms of overheating.

This is a secondary vehicle and funds for repair are limited. What would you recommend fixing first.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gobigblueuk
I just bought a 94 pickup w/ a 22 re last week and it has a few issues? Some advice would be appreciated.

For starters it has some idle issues. After it warms up the idle fluctuates up and down until you put it into gear. And then it smooths out. The idle drops to about 800 rpm and then up to 1300 rpm.

Second. Once driving if you let off the accelerator the chasis gives a jerk/clunk, and then the same once you reapply the acclerator it does the same.

Lastly. About 50% of the time, the temperature gauge goes straight to hot after being started for about 3 mins. The truck has a new radiator, water pump, and thermostat. And other than the gauge shows no symptoms of overheating.

This is a secondary vehicle and funds for repair are limited. What would you recommend fixing first.

Thanks
The best thing to do is start at the begining and work your way through. First give your truck a complete tune up, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, and fuel filter. It would also be a good idea to replace the 02 sensor. Make sure to use oem Denso parts, and a Denso 02 sensor. Do not use bosch 02 sensors, they don`t work well in toyotas. Check all of the vacuum lines for leaks and make sure there all properly hooked up. Check the timing and the TPS and see if there set properly. and then set the idle to proper specs and you should be all good after that. It would also be a good idea to pull the throttle body and give it a good cleaning.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 PM

I just bought a 95 4x4 5spd 3.0 about a month and a half ago. I immediately noticed the falling on it's own face "clunk" when letting off the throttle and then another clunk when you give it gas again. I just figured I'd live with it until just the other day another thing happened which I am convinced is related to the throttle body. It does EXACTLY what you describe a minute or two after initial startup. The engine revs up/down/up/down/up/down/up/down and I'm guessing it will do it forever but I shut the POS off so I don't irritate everyone in the neighborhood. My truck is a 5 speed, so I just try to use that to my advantage by downshifting/etc to keep the rpms above 1500 while I'm driving or it will just do the same 1500 - 2000 - 1500 - 2000 - 1500 - 2000 idle and drive me nuts. I can't do anything but look like a retard when I come to stops.

Last edited by newTOyotas; 02-04-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both you guys check your coolant. idle is controlled by coolant temperature. When its low, it cant read it correctly, so it ends up fluctuating. Also, make sure the cooling system is burped of all air.
I didnt read all the post about the 3.0L, but 22re guy, did you install the thermostat correctly? A common problem for the 22re thermostat is it sticking, even when new. Usually people drill a small hole off to the side on the thermostat to allow a little coolant to get past it so it can open correctly. There is also a dual-stage thermostat available from TOYOTA. Dont remember the part number off the top of my head.
Also, check your TPS and check for any vacuum leaks, make sure it is in time, etc.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:06 PM

My coolant has always been full and I check it often. There are times when my truck runs normal but still a bit high on the idle even with the flat head screw bottomed out.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 PM

I have installed new plugs and changed out the tps thus far. I did the tps swap out earlier and have seen some improvemeng, however it has shown need for further engine tweaking. I started the truck after changing out the tps and after a couple of mins the idle rpms jumped to about 2k and stayed. So I took it for quick test drive and the jerk/clunk was gone so it was apparent that this was the culprit of this problem. And also that the idle fluctuation had dissipated for the moment. So I stop and try to adjust the tps and in doing so I lower the idle but the up/down returns. If I adjust it back the other direction high idle but no up down. In the meantime my temp gauge has pegged all the way hot so I pop the hood with the engine still running, no over bubbling or signs of overheating, I hop back in to turn it off and the temp gauge is back to normal. So I am thinking I need to burp the coolant system. I am a very novice wanna be mechanic. How? Also as far as the high idle I'm thinking I need to adjust the idle screw? Thanks for your help.