Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'94 4runner power problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 4runner power problem

So I just bought a '94 4runner with 213k miles on it. I was out and about when the engine began to lose power. It shifted fine, it was idleing fine, the check engine light didn't come on, the engine temp seemed to be fine by the guage. The rpm's would increase with the trottle, but the engine response seemed very sluggish at best, and it began to smell like something was burning. So I pulled over and popped the hood, and there was definately a burning smell, but I couldn't locate where, nor did I see any smoke. And the engine seemed VERY HOT! After letting it cool a while the engine seemed to be doing a little better, but got worse the more I drove it. I don't have any idea where to even start. Can anyone help?
Old 04-29-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rescuedan
So I just bought a '94 4runner with 213k miles on it.

I was out and about when the engine began to lose power. It shifted fine, it was idleing fine, the check engine light didn't come on, the engine temp seemed to be fine by the guage. The rpm's would increase with the trottle, but the engine response seemed very sluggish at best, and it began to smell like something was burning.

So I pulled over and popped the hood, and there was definately a burning smell, but I couldn't locate where, nor did I see any smoke. And the engine seemed VERY HOT! After letting it cool a while the engine seemed to be doing a little better, but got worse the more I drove it. I don't have any idea where to even start. Can anyone help?
More people might respond if you don't write everything in on big paragraph, makes it harder to read.

Anyways, my only suggestion is that you check all the plug wires for burn spots. If the plastic clips break off, and they get melted/burnt through, they'll start arcing to the block and you'll loose power. Usually you'll notice a lumpy idle (I had this happen to 2 at the same time on the side side). If it is only one, or two on different sides, you might not notice a lumpy idle.

I am assuming that you've got the V6.