Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 4Runner Clunk In Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
94 4Runner Clunk In Rear End

Hey everybody, I have been searching this forum and Google trying to find an answer, with no luck. When I shift into drive or reverse I get a clunk. I originally thought it was a u-joint because it really sounds like it is coming from the rear end. My brother has a truck with a trans that is going and this does not act like that. His truck when you shift into drive or reverse, it takes a few seconds. Then clunk! its in gear. Mine when you shift into drive or revers is almost instant.

I checked the u-joints for slop and there was none. I crawled underneath it and had my brother shift it back and forth to see if I could see slop in a u-joint, all looked good. It almost sounds like it is coming from the differential when I'm underneath it. When it is shifted I can see the drive shaft rotate less than an eighth of a rotation. Seemed excessive to me though. Any thoughts or am in for a new diff?
-Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it an automatic or manual? Guessing an auto.
Does it have a locker in the rear axle? Any noise coming from the rear axle while driving? Any metal in the fluid or burnt fluid?
Old 09-06-2014, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 92 has the same problem. plus mine jerks when i let off the gas. i flushed the tranny and its a little smoother when driving. but i havent had the time to check the driveline and differential. i wish i could help but im new to the diy and probably need to take a class before i tear my runner apart.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:49 PM

It's an auto, no locker, haven't had time to check the fluid. The only vibration I get is when I let completely off the gas pedal, say to coast down a hill. Then I get a split second of vibration. I would compare it to running over a rumble strip on the highway. Not that loud, not that much vibration but that's how I would try and describe it.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:50 PM

Trans fluid was bright red and did not smell burnt
Old 09-07-2014, 06:57 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
I believe an eighth of a turn of driveshaft backlash at the differential with an open, stock diff, is excessive. That plus the intermittent rumble during deceleration would make me suspect the pinion bearing is going, allowing the pinion to disengage somewhat from the ring gear.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:02 PM

Ok today I finally got around to it. I changed the front and rear differential fluid, plus transfer case and engine oil, also topped off transmission fluid as it was a little low. No change. I did reach up and wiggle the front drive shaft while I was underneath it. The u joint on the front axle at the transfer case was able to move slightly, and I mean very slightly. I checked the other u joints just to make sure and they are all solid.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:43 PM

Here's the scoop, I finally got new tires put on it today. My old tires bounced around so much it was hard to feel if there was any vibrations. With my new tires I can now feel a mostly constant vibration. If I under stand the transmission, 3 speed with overdrive, then it would be third gear that vibrates the most, but they all vibrate. Any ideas?