Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'94 4runner 4x4 3.0 front brake overhaul - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 4runner 4x4 3.0 front brake overhaul - HELP!!

My mechanical knowledge = oil changes + very minor repairs on my old Chevy....

I am knew to all of this but want to do as much work as humanly possible on my own. I bought this truck as a project because I want to learn.

That being said, there are several issue with the truck - first and foremost the front brakes. I took it to a very reputable mechanic and he said that I need to do a complete overhaul of the front brakes. So, I need to know:

1) What parts do I buy? I know I will need rotors, calipers, and brake pads; but, what else? Also, I am missing the lug nut studs for 2 of my rims... Should I buy/replace these at the same time and, if so, what is that piece called?

2) What tools will I need? I know and have the basics - wrenches (to include a torque wrench), jack/stands, etc. Is there anything else I should buy/borrow that will make my life easier?

3) Where should I buy parts? There are about a trillion online retailers and autoparts stores to choose from. Is there one that has been proven the most useful to you? I plan to buy most parts online and I would prefer buying everything necessary from the same location...

4) I would like to modify the Runner to be better equipped to handle trails - nothing major mind you (no rock climbing, etc.) - is it recommended to upgrade your brakes for that, or will OEM equivalent parts suffice?

I did already try to find a write-up on this subject, but was unable. I am very new to this site so maybe I just need more experience with it. I did find a lot about brakes in general, but they were mostly for specific issues, i.e. soft brakes, cylinder replacement, etc. I wasn't able to decipher between them all what exactly I should be doing. If you know (or can find) a post that already has the above information, please point me in the right direction!

I'm excited to be starting with this site! It looks like there are a lot of good people on here with a vast amount knowledge, so, thanks in advance for the help!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:43 PM

1- lug studs and nuts, and yes put them in at this time as the hub will have to come off to change the rotor anyways. also inspect and repack the front wheel bearings with new grease. also ive had problems with the dorman type that most parts stores have, some of the toyota site have them or the dealer is the best bet
2- brass drift and hammer if you have manual hubs to remove the cone washers(not sure if they are on the auto hubs, maybe someone can confirm).
3- trail gear has everything but a bit pricey for everything, local parts store would be fine just get the good stuff, not the cheapo.
4- you already have the v6 brakes which will be fine up to about 35" tire, while your doing it check and adjust the rear drums. usually over looked and help alot. eventually may want to convert to rear disc if your gonna be running 35 and up tires.

Last edited by mudpunisher; 11-01-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ndg4runner
My mechanical knowledge = oil changes + very minor repairs on my old Chevy....

I am knew to all of this but want to do as much work as humanly possible on my own. I bought this truck as a project because I want to learn.

That being said, there are several issue with the truck - first and foremost the front brakes. I took it to a very reputable mechanic and he said that I need to do a complete overhaul of the front brakes. So, I need to know:

1) What parts do I buy? I know I will need rotors, calipers, and brake pads; but, what else? Also, I am missing the lug nut studs for 2 of my rims... Should I buy/replace these at the same time and, if so, what is that piece called?

I highly recommend drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk SuperDuty pads from Rotorpros.org. I've had them on my truck for 53,000 miles now & they are the cat's @$$.

I recommend OEM parts for everything else.

2) What tools will I need? I know and have the basics - wrenches (to include a torque wrench), jack/stands, etc. Is there anything else I should buy/borrow that will make my life easier?

A good torque wrench is very handy, as is a long handle breaker bar. I HIGHLY recommend an impact wrench for removing the 6 bolts that hold the rotors on~

3) Where should I buy parts? There are about a trillion online retailers and autoparts stores to choose from. Is there one that has been proven the most useful to you? I plan to buy most parts online and I would prefer buying everything necessary from the same location...

Gary Smith at Newnan Toyota (see my sig) offers SUBSTANTIAL discounts & excellent shipping to forum members on OEM Toyota parts.

If you end up needing calipers, I think both WabFab & MarlinCrawler offer OEM rebuilt calipers that are excellent.

4) I would like to modify the Runner to be better equipped to handle trails - nothing major mind you (no rock climbing, etc.) - is it recommended to upgrade your brakes for that, or will OEM equivalent parts suffice?

See above. Also, if you are serious about off-road, a Grizzly locker & good M/T tires (I have Firestone Destination M/T's--they rock!) are about the best bang for the buck you will find.

I did already try to find a write-up on this subject, but was unable. I am very new to this site so maybe I just need more experience with it. I did find a lot about brakes in general, but they were mostly for specific issues, i.e. soft brakes, cylinder replacement, etc. I wasn't able to decipher between them all what exactly I should be doing. If you know (or can find) a post that already has the above information, please point me in the right direction!

I'm excited to be starting with this site! It looks like there are a lot of good people on here with a vast amount knowledge, so, thanks in advance for the help!

Good luck!!

Last edited by TNRabbit; 11-01-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in Tampa for work if you are looking to do this very soon and need a hand.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 PM

Hey man I just did the same work as you want to do. Don't forget the 54mm spindle socket, snap ring pliers, PB blaster, and for repacking the bearings you'll need a new seal, grease, and I recommend a bearing packer and a seal puller. Chef recommended it to me and I'm recommending it to you, just as messy but I definitely felt more comfortable. You'll probably need another guy to hold the rotor while you crack the bolts holding the rotor and hub together when you replace the wheel studs.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Just put the rotor in a vice~
Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 PM

the caliper holddown bolts? make sure you torque them down to FSM specs. which IIRC is 105 ft/pounds.

and in case you loose them and the calipers gets stuck in your wheel while travelling down a highway in calif on THANKSGIVING DAY, the transmission crossmember bolts will do in a pinch.

do ask me why i know that fact...
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM

Thank you all for the help! TNRabbit - I appreciate the tips, it will definitely come in handy.

@rokblok - How long are you in Tampa for? I am not planning on doing this project for another week as I will need that time to procure all the parts. I would definitely love the help though!

I'm going to take all of this advice and get all the parts together and a game plan. I will post my results, parts,tools, cost, headaches, pics, etc. after (maybe that needs to be in a different forum?) Hopefully that will help some of the other noobs like me out there!