86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 3VZE oil starvation puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 3VZE oil starvation puzzle

Sometimes after startup, my engine will sound off with valve train noise as if it's oil starved.

I check the oil level every time it does this and it's always full, so now I'm completely stumped.

I change the oil and filter every 3,000, and I watch my oil level like a hawk.

I'm running Mobil 1 synthetic 10W30 and a Fram Tough Guard filter for now, but I have three new Toyota filters I picked up from then local dealership, so no more Frams after the next oil change.

Could the filter have anything to do with it, or is there maybe something swimming around in my oil, clogging up an oil passage?

Is there supposed to be a gasket or washer on the oil pan plug? I found the tattered remnants of something like one on my oil pan plug when I changed the oil, and I cleaned off what I could of it. I wonder of some bits of this whatever-it-is made it into the engine?

Anybody got any idears?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no need to wait for an oil change to replace the filter. if you do it now you'll know if the fram filter is your problem.
the chances of a gasket on your oil drain plug getting up into the oil pan and clogging something are fairly slim.
the v-6 doesn't use hydraulic lifters. the valves will sound pretty much the same regardless of oil/no-oil.

next oil change try going up a little in weight- from 10w30 to 15w40 for instance and see if the problem subsides or at least becomes less frequent. if so, the rod bearings are probably getting a little loose
Old 04-12-2009, 05:54 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
drop the pan and see what you find. maybe the strainer for the pump is clogged. mine was a took out the 3.0 freakin po
Old 04-13-2009, 02:04 AM

They guy who owned it before was running 5W30 Castrol dino juice in it, and it made a 1,000 mile trip to Maryland with no hiccups. I've never let it run low on oil, and it didn't leak any on the way up here, so I just can't see how the rod bearings would wear out with good oil in them, unless the oil pump was taking a dump on me.

I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic about a week ago, and it seemed to run fine, but now this valve train noise keeps cropping up, and I just don't get it. Never seen one do this before, so I'm a little confused.

I hope like hell I don't have to spring for a new motor in this thing!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
The injectors can be dang noisy; are you sure that's not what it is?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:14 PM

I'm not sure if it's the injectors or not, but when it makes the noise, the oil pressure reads really low, even when I give it some gas, then it slowly builds up to normal.

I can't figure this crap out to save my life. It doesn't smoke, miss, clunk or run rough. All fluids are full and look good, oil's clear as honey and it starts every time I turn the key.

Weird. Just plain weird...
Old 04-13-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles on the engine?

The synthetic oil has a different reaction to heat and cold than dino oil. Practically speaking, it flows really well at the temperature extremes and resists breaking down at really high extremes. Consequently, its not as "thick" as the dino oil when you crank in the mornings. Regarding the filter, Fram highly advertises that their filters have anti-drainback valves to mitigate dry starts. However, change the filter. I think your Fram is not holding the oil in the engine very well and thus the noisy morning starts. If this doesn't fix the concern, go back to a higher viscosity dino oil since, given the model year of your runner, its got some miles and wear. I would try 10-40 then 15-40 then 20-50.
My $0.02
Old 04-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
How many miles on the engine?

The synthetic oil has a different reaction to heat and cold than dino oil. Practically speaking, it flows really well at the temperature extremes and resists breaking down at really high extremes. Consequently, its not as "thick" as the dino oil when you crank in the mornings. Regarding the filter, Fram highly advertises that their filters have anti-drainback valves to mitigate dry starts. However, change the filter. I think your Fram is not holding the oil in the engine very well and thus the noisy morning starts. If this doesn't fix the concern, go back to a higher viscosity dino oil since, given the model year of your runner, its got some miles and wear. I would try 10-40 then 15-40 then 20-50.
My $0.02
x2 on the # of miles. Not sure the viscosity advice will work; thicker oil is usually harder to get up to pressure.

I'm guessing you need to pull your pan & check the oil pickup as was previously mentioned; I'd also see about a new oil pump.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:35 AM

dude, mines been weird lately too.

I think we should both change our pcv valves for fun.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:27 PM

The engine has about 113,000 miles on it, so I'm guessing that it might just have a little bit of wear on it.

I'm gonna try a jug of 15w40 Delvac 1300 next oil change and see if that makes any difference.

Might just change the PCV valve too.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:32 PM

My uncles friend had one where he put a fram on it and the oil pressure was real low. They changed the filter and it was fine afterwords.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Silas
My uncles friend had one where he put a fram on it and the oil pressure was real low. They changed the filter and it was fine afterwords.
I replaced the Fram with a Toyota filter, and things improved a bit, but the intermittent nature of the problem still gives me fits.

I still can't help but think that there's something wandering around in my oil, stopping up a passage or something.

I may go ahead and pull the pan and check the pick up screen, because this crap is getting on my nerves.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:10 AM
Contributing Member

I think pulling the pan is your best option. Make things easy on yourself; disconnect the engine mounts & raise it a little FIRST .