Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 3vze front end rebuild & rear susp. advice

Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 3vze front end rebuild & rear susp. advice

I have 155,000 miles on my 94 3vze v6 DLX xcab pu. I am the 2nd owner and it has never had anything in the front suspension/steering area replaced before except I put new Bilstein shocks on it 1.5yrs ago. I have a list going of the parts to order and want some advice if I might need to replace anything else while I'm in there with it all apart. I'm ordering everything from "rockauto" unless I can find these parts cheaper somewhere else. O.K. here we go:::: "Moog" parts....idler arm, pitman arm, tierods inner and outer, ball joints upper and lower, stabilizer bar link ends, and swaybar bushings. "EMPI" for the 2 front half axles. "Timken" wheel bearings inner and outer??? Steering stabilizer shock will be "Old Man Emu" and ordered from somewhere else. Some questions also are: should I replace the control arm bushings?, body mount bushings?, bump stop bushings?, 02 sensor and which one should I get?, do I need to replace the adjusting sleeve for the tierods?, replace front bearing race or sleeve? And for the rear I was going to get the "OME" rear leaf springs #"cs019 w/ 1.75" lift because my rear springs are flat with the weight of my Snugtop shell and tools I carry in the back. Will these work with my stock length shocks I put on since I carry the weight all the time anyway? Do I need to replace the axle shaft bearings in the rear if I have never greased them or looked at them? Sorry for all the questions but I want to get this right before I go order everything. Also, I want to keep the stock ride and driveability of the truck because it is my daily driver and weekend warrior for hunting and fishing trips. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM

I can't speak to some of your questions. But I have the same truck (+70k miles) and in regards bushings, I would suggest giving them a quick looksee. If they are cracking replace them because you are already going bananas in the front-end and will have better access. I just installed a bunch of energy suspension bushings in my truck. It wasn't fun, but would have been less nasty if I was already working on related parts. If it seems at all prudent, do it now instead of later.

My understanding is that the emu springs require longer shocks--you might want to just call them since you seem to be carrying a heavy load. I'm planning on installing the "heavy duty" version in May or June so let me know how you like the springs.

I don't understand some of your questions...o2 sensor? If it's still functional, why?

And welcome to yotatech!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 PM

The 02 sensor has never been replaced, so I was just going to do it while doing everything else because I heard it should help with fuel economy if its never been changed. The OME springs I thought might work wiyh my stock shocks because the added weight in the rear that I always carry would bring them down to about stock height. I wanted to see if others had done the same thing. I saw somewhere that people took out 1 leaf and it worked good for stock height, but with the weight I carry I thought that maybe it would be perfect and not have to get new longer shocks for the rear. Are the energy susp bushings really worth the $? Which ones did you install on your truck? Can you tell a difference with them in? Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 PM

I don't know if I can say whether or not the E.S. bushings are worth it, but since my stocks were shot, they were needed. They are quite easy to install, it's getting the old components out that is difficult. I installed bushings for control arms, leaf springs and shackles, swaybar, tie-rods, and body mounts. They seem to be of decent quality and people have told me that they hold up better to flexing and pressure encountered in rough terrain.

I don't know too much about the OME springs (except that I want them!). You are probably correct in assuming that you will lose some height due to weight, but how long will that take? Honestly, I dunno. Definitely consider calling ARB USA and explaining your situation.

Anyway, it sure seems like you want something meant for heavier loads--rather than, for example, flex. Look around the site, there is a lot of commentary on the various options out there. Based on everything I've read, I've leaned toward the OME HD Dakar springs.

edit: I don't know what kind of tools you're hauling, but if you're a contractor why not a utility trailer? Just thinking out loud. Other possibilities: Zuk mod, HD shocks and an add-a-leaf.

Last edited by dromomaniac; 03-15-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 PM

If your replacing your 02 sensor use Denso or keep your current one. Dont use anything besides Denso.

I got mine off of Amazon.com for $40-$50
Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 PM

ditto^

As a general rule I don't replace anything stamped with denso or aisin with another brand.

But, props for going after the full rebuild. I've hesitated because I dislike all the wonky IFS components. "SAS someday" I keep saying to myself.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 AM

New adjusting sleeves are cheap, and probably much easier to thread the tierod ends onto that your old rusty/crusty ones. I rebuilt my front end this fall, and also put on the same OME rear springs. I have a longbed with a shell and the regular cs019r OME springs have worked fine. You WILL need longer shocks, I used the OME shocks recommended with the springs and also did balljoint spacers.

Do yourself a favor and buy a 12.99 pittman arm puller from NAPA. Makes popping the balljoints & front end pieces out a lot easier. When the old balljoints 'pop' out make sure you have eye protection, I had a piece of dirt/rust crud hit me in the cheek & it stung!

Here's a link to my writeup: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nstall-239860/

Good luck, & start soaking avery bolt you will loosen with PB Blaster now!