Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 22re 4WD Pickup Tape Player

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
94 22re 4WD Pickup Tape Player

Hey guys and gals, my truck has only a radio and while I like the barebones-ness I would like to listen to my iPhone. I want to keep it stock looking because most stereo systems are seriously horribly designed (one of the things in life I really hate with a passion). I'd like to get a stock tape player so I can use a tape adapter with AUX cable. I've been lurking in the classifieds but I want to know which tape players will fit in my truck first. I assume certain years will fit while others will not.

I'm open to other suggestions for cheap stereo systems that look like an old factory unit. As long as my goal of getting an audio jack is met.

Thanks for reading
Old 11-03-2015, 04:25 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Why don't you try to find someone with enough radio smarts (it won't take much) to put an aux jack in your current radio? There's not much to it; you just tap into the audio section with a switching jack. Plug it in: on the iPhone. Unplug it: back to good ole AM radio!
Old 11-03-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scope has hit the nail on the head. Most cartoys and other radio install places can do this for about 100-150 depending on part cost. I used to work at cartoys and we did this all the time in older vehicles.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
I have used some cassette tape aux. in adapters and all of the ones I have bought sounded terrible. I have actually have gone back to my own "mix tapes" that sound much better.

If you want to use your iPhone, have an aux. input wired in to your existing radio (or another similar radio) like Scope and rerunner said.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220U200...ation-Kit.html
Old 11-04-2015, 03:51 AM

I didn't even think this was an option. Thanks guys, I'll do some research! Anyone have a link to any tutorials or little write ups? Or is it pretty self explanatory? I'm thinking I need to disable the radio so it doesn't try to play while I'm listening to Taylor Swi...Killswitch Engage.

@RobertM: That connects via the antenna, right? I've heard of things like that and that they have a lot of static, so I read. I'll look into this more but it seems like the tapping into my existing radio is a better option...and cheaper.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did this by tapping into the CD changer port on an old Honda. Not quite the same thing, but basically you find the two audio lines (right and left) and splice your aux jack in there. Might be actual wires if you are lucky, otherwise it will be pins on the PCB. Don't gut the tape deck completely as some head units will mute the output unless the motors are spinning.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:51 PM

I came across this link which I think describes what I'm trying to do. I don't really understand it, though, and I've read through it a few times. Doesn't help that English isn't his first language.

Is this what I'm looking for?

MP3 Player With Old Radio
Old 11-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mct75
I did this by tapping into the CD changer port on an old Honda. Not quite the same thing, but basically you find the two audio lines (right and left) and splice your aux jack in there. Might be actual wires if you are lucky, otherwise it will be pins on the PCB. Don't gut the tape deck completely as some head units will mute the output unless the motors are spinning.
I don't think that'll work for me. I don't have a changer or anything that could be used as a line in. I could tap into the left and right wires but then my sound won't be amped, I couldn't control the volume with the stereo knob and my radio would still play. If I had a CD changer or if my stereo accepted one, that would be a different story!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I have one, it taps into the antenna. It has a switch to turn it on/off. You set the radio to an unused station (mine has a switch to set to two differnt stations. It will drowned out all the other stations when its on. It works AWESOME! Its powered by the truck soo no batteries ect. Only get one that physically attaches to the antenna line. Only way you will get perfect sound.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by superex87
I have one, it taps into the antenna....
Like this:http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=45 , about $90. It seems awfully silly to me. You start with an audio signal, then modulate it onto an RF signal, feed that to the radio, and expect the radio to demodulate back to where you started. BUT: a quick google search turns up lots of "experts" claiming that is the only way you can get the signal into an older radio (one that doesn't have an existing CD-changer-in port, for instance.)

Originally Posted by Davebarbier
I came across this link which I think describes what I'm trying to do. I don't really understand it, though, and I've read through it a few times. Doesn't help that English isn't his first language.

Is this what I'm looking for?
Mostly. Except he has CONVERTED the radio so that it plays his MP3s, but the radio is now disconnected. You'd want a switched phone jack, and you'd need one that switches both sides. Like this: http://www.mouser.com/catalogviewer/...US&catalog=648

Alas, you're going to need to take the radio apart to find the pre-amplified audio path, and splice the connector in there. Member RJR is the kind of person who might do that, but I suspect it's a little beyond the level of printed circuit work you're comfortable with. (Maybe even beyond me; I took mine apart to clean the tape heads; everything is very tightly crammed in there!)
Old 11-06-2015, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
Like this:http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=45 , about $90. It seems awfully silly to me. You start with an audio signal, then modulate it onto an RF signal, feed that to the radio, and expect the radio to demodulate back to where you started. BUT: a quick google search turns up lots of "experts" claiming that is the only way you can get the signal into an older radio (one that doesn't have an existing CD-changer-in port, for instance.)Mostly. Except he has CONVERTED the radio so that it plays his MP3s, but the radio is now disconnected. You'd want a switched phone jack, and you'd need one that switches both sides. Like this: http://www.mouser.com/catalogviewer/...US&catalog=648

Alas, you're going to need to take the radio apart to find the pre-amplified audio path, and splice the connector in there. Member RJR is the kind of person who might do that, but I suspect it's a little beyond the level of printed circuit work you're comfortable with. (Maybe even beyond me; I took mine apart to clean the tape heads; everything is very tightly crammed in there!)
Yeah I agree with the silliness. And at $90 I would rather not go that route unless it's really the only feasible way.

My other option I was thinking about is getting a small 12v powered amp that has an audio jack or RCA in. Mount that inside the dash somewhere and run a wire out. Not sure if those exist or how cheap they can get. I did a search for small car amps and they're still huge with a lot of power. I'd just need something to power these tiny speakers.

It wouldn't be as graceful as tapping in to my stock radio, but it's another option. But wiring it myself doesn't seem too daunting. That link you gave just brings up a big list of jacks, would any of those work or is there one specific one in that list I'd need?

I would feel I'd need a wiring diagram of the stereo, doubt that's available.

Last edited by Davebarbier; 11-06-2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:27 AM

My other option I was thinking about is getting a small 12v powered amp that has an audio jack or RCA in. Mount that inside the dash somewhere and run a wire out. Not sure if those exist or how cheap they can get. I did a search for small car amps and they're still huge with a lot of power. I'd just need something to power these tiny speakers.

I think you might be onto something there. Audio Amps aren't that hard to find; like anything else on the internet, you have to know the right question (try "audio amplifier kit 12v"). Here's one I found: http://www.adafruit.com/products/175...3LARoCpgTw_wcB 12v power, 20amps out, which should be way more than you need.

Presumably, you want to use the same speakers, but a switching jack won't fill the bill because they always switch on one of the inputs. You want it to switch both speaker channels when you plug in. You could use a DPDT relay triggered by the switch on the jack. Or just give it up and put a small DPDT switch next to your jack. Unfortunately, the volume control on the radio won't control your add-on amp, but you've got volume on your iPad so you don't really need it.

Be sure to let us know what you come up with.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:35 PM

Wow, that seems like a perfect little amp. I'll need to make a box for it or something. I don't really know what you mean by having a switch when I plug in the AUX cable. I was thinking of just having the amp always on (when the key switch is on) and tap into the left and right speaker wires. Theoretically I could have the radio and iPhone playing at the same time...not sure why I'd want that but in my head that would be possible. Could I then just add a volume knob in series with the speaker wires out of the amp? I'm not sure if that would work or not. Actually I see it comes with a "volume pot" potentiometer I assume. Not sure if it's a tiny one or something I could actually use while driving with gloves on.

Interesting. Must do more research. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2015, 03:48 PM

Wait a minute, now I'm seeing his little amp:
Amazon.com: Kinter 12V 2 CH Mini Digital Audio Power Amplifier For MP3 or Car: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Kinter 12V 2 CH Mini Digital Audio Power Amplifier For MP3 or Car: Car Electronics
Is this something I can use? 12v DC. It doesn't come with a power cable but I can get one...but I recognize this kind of power cable for like cell phones and such, not sure if this can be powered by a car.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:01 PM

1. This isn't plug-and-play (you'll get the $90 RF modulator to get closer to that), this is real mad scientist stuff! You have to do a little soldering (no, none of the SMD soldering, that's for genuinely mad scientists). Pretty detailed instructions are given on the website.

2. You'll notice it's so small that you can just tape it behind the instrument panel anywhere. I would put it in some sort of crappy box, just to keep it clean. I've used the plastic box from a deck of cards for even larger boards. You'll find something; you can use plain-ole tape to seal it up.

3. Amp always on with key-on is probably okay, but I don't think you want the stock amp and your custom amp both connected to the speakers at the same time. (I'm no audio expert, but this is a Class D amp. Super efficient, but they don't play well with others.) But you could try it; the worst that will happen is you'll blow up your radio! Adding a volume control in the speaker wire is not a good idea (you could end up dissipating 20w in the control, which means it has to be very big). I think you really need something to keep both amps from driving the speakers at the same time; the simplest way is a DPDT toggle switch (you could even get one of these
Amazon.com : CONTURA ROCKER ON-OFF-ON DPST Black : Boating Rocker Switches : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : CONTURA ROCKER ON-OFF-ON DPST Black : Boating Rocker Switches : Sports & Outdoors
)

4. The volume control it comes with is just a trimmer; you get it set up right and never touch it again. Then you use the volume control on the iPod to adjust things. You could wire in an ordinary $4 Radio Shack rheostat, and install a big enough knob for your liking. (Interesting: even though this is a stereo amplifier, you can control both channels at the same time with a mono rheostat! Magic!)

Like I said: Mad Scientist stuff. For $20, you get the amplifier and temporarily hook it up on the kitchen table. Get it to work the way you like, take pictures, write it up, post on YotaTech, and you'll be the go-to stereo guy!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:06 PM

Wait a minute, now I'm seeing his little amp: ...
Yes, that might be a better match for (what I think is) your skill/interest level. Powering it is trivial; while those barrel-type power connectors aren't very standard, there's only so many options, and you can get every size to pigtails. The pigtails you hook up to your 12v/gnd in the truck.

You still have the issue of two amplifiers driving the speakers at the same time. You have my advice, but a little experimentation will go a long way.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:13 PM

Thanks a lot Scope. I'll post results for sure.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Yes, that might be a better match for (what I think is) your skill/interest level. Powering it is trivial; while those barrel-type power connectors aren't very standard, there's only so many options, and you can get every size to pigtails. The pigtails you hook up to your 12v/gnd in the truck.

You still have the issue of two amplifiers driving the speakers at the same time. You have my advice, but a little experimentation will go a long way.

Good luck!
Thanks for the help Scope, I finally was able to finish the wiring and I did a little write up.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/.../#post52301422