86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 pickup rear lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 pickup rear lift

Hey guys, I have a 1993 Toyota Pickup. recently dumped alot of money into it and its looking great, but its still missing that lifted look.

it's a daily driver and it's sitting on 31s, so a 2" or 3" lift is all I'm looking for.

I know that BJ spacers up front with a bit of torsion bar fiddling can get me between 2" to 3".

Now that that's squared away, looking at the best way to lift my rear to match.

it's mostly a daily driver but I do some OHV trails from time to time and don't want to do a shoddy job.

I already know to avoid blocks like the plague. Add a leaf kits have grabbed my attention.

shackles seem easy enough but there still seems to be a lot of hostility towards taking that route.
what would you guys recommend?
Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New springs are the obvious best choice. Other than that, your options are blocks, shackles, add a leafs, or the zuk mod.

Blocks aren't very good, unless you have some kind of trac bar to eliminate axle wrap.

Shackles are ok, but don't go too long, or you'll start having vibrations due to wrong pinion angles. I made 1.5" lift shackles for mine and they're alright.

Add a leafs. I've never tried add a leafs. I'd imagine they'd be stiff for a pickup, but it's probably no different than riding on the overload spring. Maybe someone while chime in about that.

The zuk mod is awesome for 4Runners, I'm not too sure about pickups. I'd imagine they'd be fine if you got a lower spring rate. There are TONS of threads on here about this. Just search.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:24 AM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
I believe the BJ lift will only give you 1.5 inches and a kit usually consists of an add a leaf to match the back, but as said above hundreds of threads on this topic and lots of choices to get what your looking for
Old 06-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I have a 93 and was in the same dilemma a few years ago. Since I actually use my truck to haul stuff on occasion I chose to do it right and did a 2" OME lift with BJ spacers up front. I am VERY happy with the results. Basically I did the full lift minus the thicker t-bars because no winch bumper - so basically 2 OME Dakar medium leafs, 4 OME shocks, OME steering stabilizer,SDORI BJ spacers, rebuild of idler arm, and an IFS truss. I also chose not to put in new shackles because was afraid to lift too high with only 31s - now that its settled in i would go with a 5.5" shackle since i had to raise the front slightly more (level truck) to clear my wide-ass Toyos. I think everything ran me shy of $1k

You can look up my past threads to see what I did and what my stance is afterward - but honestly, I dunno if I would lift for a 31" tire unless planning to go larger. I did mine with 31s but knew they were going to be replaced with 33s. What I like is that the truck now looks great for a DD if I wanted it to be - just enough lift to be more aggressive without going ridiculously tall with dinky tires. I'm one of those who believes in cutting fenders to keep it low vs lifting to clear.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
I got my 88 from a friend that was running 31's and it sat nice.

Up front he had aftermarket torsion bars turned up a little without BJ spacers. He ran it 17 years like that and never had problems.

The rear SUCKED. It looked right but rode like a forklift. He had some aftermarket springs that were way stiff.

I fixed that with Chevy rear springs. I even made them fit using the stock spring plates, u-bolts and shocks. Rode like a caddy and sat just right with just a couple inches of lift.

I had to fab a front spring hanger and stock length shackles. I bought a rear shackle mount from Sky. I found some used springs for $50.

I used the stock length Rancho shocks at first but, it limited down travel. Ended up getting some Rancho shocks that were for their 4" Toyota lift and they bolted right in. They were about $45 each at O'Reilly's.

Sky makes a kit for about $120 to mount the Chevy springs. You have to do some welding and cutting so if you're looking for a bolt in solution this isn't it.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Obsessed Motorsports had a spindle lift for the front end which netted around 3" lift. And if you mount spring perches on top of the rear axle housing so the axle is below the springs and you can gain 3" or so out back.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
obsessed motorsports is out of business but they never made a lift spindle for a 4x4.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:52 PM

I did the bj spacers and the zuk mod. I got the 14 inch coil springs, but when you order them, they ask you what rate spring you want. After researching on here I found its best to get the 100 or 125, I went with the 100. But make sure when you order the bj spacers you get the one with the diff drop kit, if you don't you'll get axle vibration if you crank the T-bars to much (found that one out the had way). And if you do the zuk mod, just a little heads up. The easiest way to do it is to just go rent the spring compressor from your local auto zone. And make sure you get the compressor that goes on the outside cause they have like four different kinds (also found that out the hard way) haha. Best of luck
Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 PM

Definitely add a leaf here. Youre mostly road so the stiffness wont matter too much, but the way I see it is the space between the leaf springs and the axle is still 0. That leaves no room for failure unless you go like 100 and hit a curb or something. Ive heard that shackles are good for offroad, but they change where the impact goes which can cause things to move on you.