86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 pickup brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 pickup brake issues

When I first got my yota, I changed all the fluids, oils, and other maintenence items including brakes. For the rear drums, I just replaced the shoes and used new springs and what-not. Drums still had plenty of life in them imo, and the parking brake started actually working afterwards. For the front discs, the passenger side was easy. I like the design that allows you to not remove the caliper. When I got to the driver side however, one of the four pistons was siezed. I removed the caliper, clamps, and penetrating oil to finally get the locked up piston free. Unfortunately by the time I got it freed it was dark and I had to rush a bit. I accidentally put one of the thin steel plates between one of the pads and the rotor. It made a grinding noise, and I should have gotten a ride but instead drove one mile home (easy on the brakes), and fixed it the next morning. It did eat some grooves into the rotor, but surprisingly the braking was even and gave me no trouble. Later I had my mechanic replace the cv axle on the driver side, and he recommended having the rotor turned so I did. Ever since then, the truck pulls left a bit, and under braking it pulls hard right. I have jacked the front end up, and can see the pads on the driver side are constantly rubbing the rotor, which I think is the left pull. If I have my wife pump and hold the brakes, the passenger side is unturnable with a t-bird, while the driver side is slightly turnable. Any ideas on what could be happening? I'm considering putting new rotors, pads, and cleaning and oiling the calipers. Just not sure since the pads are all pretty new, and the rotors both look good.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Maybe time for some new Calipers ?

You did go with new pins and grease where needed. It is easy to have the pads bind using old hardware .

How many miles ??

How are the other front end parts worn parts can also cause it to pull one way or the other. When Brakes are applied