Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

93 with 3.4L swap, coolant on oil due to cold?

Old 02-12-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 with 3.4L swap, coolant on oil due to cold?

Hi all,

I cranked my 93 3.4L yesterday morning (44º F) and after 5 minutes I noticed a lot of coolant being leaked through the back of the engine and the temp gauge at 50%. I immediately turned it off, checked the oil dipstick and there it was. Fresh chocolate milkshake color. Honestly, I've never heard of a 5VZ having a headgasket failure. I just invested a lot on importing this truck and doing a manual transmission swap, both at the end of 2016, and I'm been thinking on what should I do with it. How expensive can a 5VZ headgasket repair be? I've been keeping this truck purely for recreational purposes. Could I get significant any significant improvement with a complete engine overhaul?
Old 02-16-2017, 08:29 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
the 95.5- early 97 had an issue with headgaskets but they mainly were external leaks. The 5vz will develop cracks in the head. Having said that, i've done a couple headgaskets. Those were cause by blown radiators and lack of service by the owners. Your best bet is just to swap out the motor with another known good one and will be cheaper. If you choose to replace the headgaskets, make sure you use toyota gaskets. The heads need to be pressure tested and decked to do the job right.

Search this Thread