86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 2wd 5spd 22re ran out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 2wd 5spd 22re ran out of gas

Need help! I ran out of gas in my 22re.....now it won't start. I added a couple gallons of gas. I put a jumper wire in b+ to fp on the diagnostic panel. Fp comes on....? Also, when I release the key from the start position I hear a double click sound on the passenger side of the truck? ECM? Relay? Please help! Thanks, Jeremy!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a reset switch of some kind?
Old 03-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
No reset button, it's not a Ford .

Are you sure you ran out of gas, not a gas line leak? If it was fine before, I'd say throw a little more gas in it and jump the B+ and Fp pins again and crawl under the truck and watch for drips/leaks. Normally you can hear the fuel pump labor harder when it's pumping fluid vs nothing, and it labors even more (slows down more) once the system is pressured up.

I'm not sure if the 89+ trucks are like this, but on a 86 I could just not press the clutch in and put the key to start and the fuel pump would kick on, but not run the starter.

As for the double click, there is the COR relay, which is basically a fuel pump relay with 2 inputs to activate it. I think some fan and ac related relays are in the general area too. Under the hood has more relays kick when you first turn the key on which is normal.

If still no luck, I'm not sure where the best spot would be, but somewhere near the engine there's a disconnect point for the fuel line. Could disconnect it and run it into a bottle and jump the pins and see if anything is coming out. Should fill a 2 liter fairly quick (under a minute I'm pretty sure). If you have good fuel flow, might want to look elsewhere as running out of fuel could have nothing to do with the actual problem (check for spark and such). Be sure to keep the battery charged up, a low battery could make it not fire up too (more so on the next newer gen 2.7L engines).

Good luck with the diag work.