Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 3.0 fuel injectors leaking - rebuild help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 92 3.0 fuel injectors leaking - rebuild help

I searched but couldnt find the exact answer I was lookin for.

I have a '92 3.0 and the injectors are leaking under the intake. I think I have found all the nice little parts to rebuild and reseal the injectors, but I cant seem to find those 8 little gaskets for the connectors on the fuel pipes. Anyone have any suggestions on where to find them. I was able to locate parts to replace all the upper and lower o-rings and grommets on the injectors themselves along with the 2 gaskets for the EGR and the one for the intake chamber, but I cant find the tiny fuel rail ones.

I need to rebuild and reseal this before I have a ball of smoke and flames. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A guy on ebay sells the entire set with new filters and pintle caps for $26 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The dealer has them or can order them. Here is the part number: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_198...MDEA_2211.html
Old 11-11-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by bugs1961
The dealer has them or can order them. Here is the part number: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_198...MDEA_2211.html

Now thats a nice site! Too bad there isnt a way to buy the parts at the prices shown, definitely cheaper than the dealership by quite a bit.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:32 PM
pwd

Try this on for size: http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/

Thats where I order my parts from and it saves me money even ordering from Canada and paying extra shipping/tax.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:35 PM

You might consider sending your injectors to witchhunter.com. Bugs tipped me off to him a while back. He charges $19 per injector to pre-test and record the results, then checks the coils, cleans about three times or more if needed and returns them with all new seals, grommets, o-rings, screens and tip guards installed and ready to go back in. Mailing cost about $10 each way, USPS, Priority mail. I mailed mine from MS to WA on 10/22/09 and got them back on 10/30/09.

One other thing to do is pressure test the injector installation for leaks before installing the air chamber, the FSM gives the procedure.

In fact, you could do the pressure test after removing the air chamber to see the leak you now have. Just make sure all the fuel lines are reconnected.

My pre-test showed over 4% difference in flow rate, or whatever its called and my post- test was less than 1%. He sends an excel chart back with the injectors showing those results.

Thanks
Harry

Last edited by harrywat; 11-11-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by harrywat
You might consider sending your injectors to witchhunter.com. Bugs tipped me off to him a while back. He charges $19 per injector to pre-test and record the results, then checks the coils, cleans about three times or more if needed and returns them with all new seals, grommets, o-rings, screens and tip guards installed and ready to go back in. Mailing cost about $10 each way, USPS, Priority mail. I mailed mine from MS to WA on 10/22/09 and got them back on 10/30/09.

One other thing to do is pressure test the injector installation for leaks before installing the air chamber, the FSM gives the procedure.

In fact, you could do the pressure test after removing the air chamber to see the leak you now have. Just make sure all the fuel lines are reconnected.

My pre-test showed over 4% difference in flow rate, or whatever its called and my post- test was less than 1%. He sends an excel chart back with the injectors showing those results.

Thanks
Harry
I would love to send them out, but unfortunately I dont have the time to wait for them since my wife andI are now down to 1 vehicle. I did remove the air chamber and jumpped the fuel pump on in the diag port. After doing so I felt bad for driving it as long as I have, the leak is HUGE.

Im gonna order the kit from the guy on ebay and get this fixed myself, especially since I already have 3/4 of it torn apart.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:40 PM

X2 on witchhunter performance. They did a fast turn around for me, even when I was down to one car also. One car is a hassle, but those guys did a great job. worth every penny.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 PM

Dont need EGR valve gasket

When I did this with my truck I just removed what need to be removed to just rotate the intake plenum up. This saves you from having to remove most of the vacuum lines and the EGR. It cuts your job in half and you have less troubleshooting
Old 11-26-2009, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by gow/Godspeed
When I did this with my truck I just removed what need to be removed to just rotate the intake plenum up. This saves you from having to remove most of the vacuum lines and the EGR. It cuts your job in half and you have less troubleshooting
I just did the same thing, but unfortunately I now have to replace quite a few of the vacuum lines since most of them were too hard and brittle from being 17 years old .

Luckily most of them can be replaced with regular cut to length hose from autozone, but the vent hose from the passenger side valve cover had to be ordered from the dealership... I hate having to pay $25 for a small hose.

So now the injectors work great, thanks to the awesome kit from Mr. Injector, but now I have to fix the vacuum issues from the broken lines
Old 11-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can order OEM Toyota regular vacuum hose, which I have found to be much better and longer lasting than the aftermarket hose, for $1.75 or so for an 800mm piece (a little less than three feet). This is long enough to cut to fit any hose on the truck and has a painted-on white area for writing the number that the original hose had onto the new one. I bought 7 of them and replaced every hose on the truck. Order from one of the on-line dealers for a good price.

The part number is: 90999-92003

Other sizes are available but are more expensive. See this site: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_198...MDEA_1708.html
Old 11-27-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I got the little gaskets from napa i think they were about 3 bucks each HOWEVER they rip if they are up into the holes on the intake dry. mine kept blowing through in about 20 miles and they would leak again. So i got some syliglyde (?) and lubed them up then put them in. no leaks. it been about 10k since then and still going strong.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:02 PM

The FSM says to use gasoline to lube the fuel rail o-rings. Others say to use oil. Either way, you should wiggle them in so they don't rip. I just used some clean oil on all the injector o-rings and grommets. So far, so good.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:07 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I just got the truck done today. Turned out to be a bigger job than I thought once you add in all the vacuum hoses I had to replace, plus hooking up the vacuum line for the brakes in the wrong spot.

Everything is working great now, no leaks and I even found and fixed a couple of vacuum leaks. Also checked my timing and found it has been sitting at 20* for who knows how long. Now Im sitting at 12* and runnin great.

I plan on doing a full rebuild towards the end of February, so I am sure Ill be back for some suggestions around that time, unless I decide to just sell it instead.