86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 transmission removal/clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 transmission removal/clutch issues

can anyone tell me if I have to drop the tranny in my truck in order to have a good look at the clutch? it's a 91 2.4l not sure what tranny is in it. It died on me and I had to get it pulled in to town now scratching my head. Want to start with the clutch guessing it will be the easiest place to start. It still goes in to gear but does not move it's not the rear end already had a look at that??
Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 PM

you have to drop the tranny to look at the clutch. check youre clutch pedal bracket under the dash. sometimes that will crack. you should also check to see if youre master and slave cylinder are moving
Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
^^-beat me to it...

x2-Yes, you need to seperate the tranny from the motor to look at the clutch. Clutch fluid ok? tranny fluid/oil ok? Did you check your clutch pedal to make sure it is engaging the M/C correctly?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:59 PM

it died so your looking at the clutch? and in order to look at the clutch yes the tranny has to come out, a little confused on it dieing and u lookin at driveline
Old 11-09-2011, 02:14 PM

mine did the same thing and i found out that my master cylinder went out. i drove it home with the clutch halfway engaged and stripped every bit of carbon off of the clutch disc.
if you have to redo the clutch you should definitely go with the stock toyota/ aisin clutch. i got mine for $65 at my local clutch shop.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Heads up:.I fixed your thread title, per the rules threads with title like 'Help' could be deleted with out warning.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:54 PM

Sorry about the help thing! when I say it died what I ment was that I was going along and then had no drive the truck still runs just have no transmition. I did pull the lines off the master and the clutch release and have fluid there so I would guess that they are both working. Fluid is good!! There is an inspection hole by the ckutch housing and it looks like there is a bird or something got stuck in there some how!! I was cruzing a cutline when it died on me so not sure if that would throw it out of wack or not??!! Two more night shifts then I should have a chance to take a better look at it. Thanks again I will post once and if I get it going!!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Wait a minute.

You say it still goes in gear without grinding banging or any other strange noises .

What happens then?? You let the clutch out it does what?? Does your tach and the speedometer go up but the truck not move??

At any time did you smell the aroma of clutch lining burning.

You did not by chance knock the transfer case into neutral. That happened to me years ago quite interesting
Old 11-10-2011, 02:30 AM

it goes into gear with no sound all normal but it does not go. Didn't smell anything funny. Tach goes up no speed though. The only funny thing is that I did move it for a bit in 4 low but then nothing. How could I tell if the transfer case is in neutral??
Old 11-10-2011, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Wait a minute.

You say it still goes in gear without grinding banging or any other strange noises .

What happens then?? You let the clutch out it does what?? Does your tach and the speedometer go up but the truck not move??

At any time did you smell the aroma of clutch lining burning.

You did not by chance knock the transfer case into neutral. That happened to me years ago quite interesting
This is the only thing I can think of that would cause your symptoms....

??
Old 11-10-2011, 05:03 AM

pull the transfer case shifter all the way back, push it all the way left, and push up. that is 2hi. neutral is on the right side halfway between 4hi and 4lo.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 PM

When you say the transfer case shifter you mean the 4x4 leaver right?? I did try every different way 4hi 4lo 2wd nothing!! Just ran out and checked it you can feel it going from 2hi to 4 hi and to 4 lo. Really at a loss might pull the transfer case off have a better look I really don't know

Last edited by oriana'smygirl; 11-10-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM

Ok so correct me if I am wrong. The way it sits right now the clutch release arm that is connected to the tranny should be all the way foreward ( towards the engine) I have the release cylinder off. The way I see it is that the foreward position is the run position and when you push in the clutch it pushes the release leaver towards the rear of the truck?? Make sense?? I don't know anyone in this town that has an older toyota so I can't even go look at someone's. The drive shafts don't spin free when I turn them by hand and that tells me that is a good thing I think and hope!!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:31 PM

yes you are correct about that. i would say to drop the trans and check the clutch. your clutch fork might be cracked or bent. (if you take the tranny out MAKE SURE you take the 2 top bolts out first. it makes it alot easier.)
Old 11-10-2011, 02:19 PM

Thanks for all the help. I was trying to figure it out without having to drop the tranny. I have never had to deal with a tranny or clutch but I guess I will learn as I go
Old 11-10-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Pray tell where do you live??

Help could be close at hand.

If it is a bent fork or bad clutch release bearing it will not go in gear .

What where you doing before this all started ??

The input shaft is turning if it was broke it should make a unholy noise but might not.

If the clutch is slipping it smells like clutch burning something one never forgets

Is it possible you may have done something to break the transmission

Since when is there a inspection hole in the bell housing??

This really has me curious It is a shame They are unable to describe the problem any better.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:26 PM

you can watch your slave cylinder and fork move if you just lay under there and have someone push clutch then you'll know for sure its working if it moves you prob need to go ahead and start dropping that tranny if it doesnt move slave or master cylinder, clutch pedal bracket.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 PM

Clutch Change

I would just like to add, considering i just changed the clutch in my 1990 4runner last weekend, that i had a horizontal support beam that runs across under my tranny so what when both driveshafts and all the supports were removed i was able to remove the bolts from the engine and just slide the weight back and have it rest on the beam above me with a jack stand to make sure it was stable. This gave me about a foot of room in order to get to the clutch and it lead to a much easier and hassle free experience, i would recommend this to any one else who is in the same boat unless there is any objections are someone has some reasonings as to why i shouldn't have done this, for which i would be glad to hear and open to considering
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You changed your clutch without dropping the transmission?! Wow, I'm impressed. I can't see any reason why you'd actually have to take the transmission down + out from the truck. If you had room to get a socket on the pressure plate bolts etc... more power to you!

When I did mine, I did it all without a jack. :/ That's a heavy sucker to move by yourself... and maybe my size explains why I find it nearly unbelievable that you could get by with just sliding it back!

Re thread: Do as others have said, and have a friend work the clutch while you look under the truck. Check cylinder engagement, and look to see if the clutch fork moves. Yes, it will move towards the BACK of the truck as the clutch is released (pedal depressed). If all that looks normal, my money is on the release bearing seizing... but seems weird. Maybe you also broke splines on the transmission output shaft? Or transfer case chain?! Dunno how to check those, sorry.

Good luck! Try not to despair until you have more info!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:48 AM

you could also pull the tranny shifter out and run a winch cable around the tranny to slowly lower it down and raise it up. when youre dropping the tranny make sure you look at how it all bolts together, and if you replace the clutch make sure you dont put the friction plate on backwards (it should be marked "pressure plate side" or "flywheel side")

Quick Reply: 91 transmission removal/clutch issues