Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 standard cab 4x4 5mge swapped electrical problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 standard cab 4x4 5mge swapped electrical problem.

i bought the truck about a year ago. have been working on restoring it. the electrical harness was a joke when i got it. but now its mainly hooked up right except for now i am having a major problem with the parking lights and head lights and dash power. now i put in a switch to kill power to everything except constant power on the radio and the clock. and well no fuses are blown. and ive tested all the relays. and there all good. i have a haynes repair manual for diagrams. and this portion of the trucks electrical system is pretty much untouched other than i removed the clock from it. so now heres the wierd thing. i flip the main power switch. and everything turns on. other than lights. but my parking light bulbs in the rear are getting like 5 volts or less. weather the key is on or off. but only when the switch is on. and the reason i put the switch in for main power is because the truck had a paracitic draw problem from a lack of a relay. so basically i put a main relay in and hooked it to a switch. its litarly right at the battery with its fuse. and ive already tested from battery up to the multi switch. but am having trouble seeing how there is a light on at my tail lights with all the relays pulled the tail lights fuse pulled. and the whole steering colum unplugged. please help. i am simply a mechanic. who got a cheap fixer uper and now i have to clean up afer a sloppy mechanic. i have faces alot of electrical challenges but nothing this mind boggling. the only thing i can this is ground f in the haynes repair manual "located on rear left panel" has come into a powersource instead of a ground. could someone tell me where the rear left panel ground is

update: i just did some multimeter tests. i got about 8v coming to the lights at all times when key is on. even light switch off. and 11.4v at battery

update. i think its the multifunction switch. thats a common problem in these trucks. but it worked b4 i started restoring it. and i pulled the plug under the dash with the wires to the multifunction switch. and well i got brights to turn on. but then nothing. no fuses poped. then i traced a splice. and grounded the head lights and they work with the light switch on controling the relay. so i think that theres a problems with a ground in the dash or the switch. and possibly wiring in the dash. but i have to tear it apart to see if its been messed with.

Last edited by spatialterror; 02-20-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8v power sources.

what power sources are 8v on the truck. i rand a wire from the battery and touched it to the tail light fuse and everything started working. so somewhere there is a short causing the tail lights to get power when key is on. and for some reason when i flip the multi switch the tail light relay doesnt click. but i have tested it and it is still good. with around 70ohms resistor side and and 0.001ohms current side.