Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 Hilux Surf 2LTE Front End Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Hilux Surf 2LTE Front End Rattle

Hey guys,

I have a 91 diesel Surf, 5 speed auto with ADD, push-button 4wd with a 4hi-n-4lo selector and Live hubs. I have a terrible rattling/clattering noise, coming from the front end. It usually occurs when driving at slower speeds (under 40km/h), but mostly just while braking to a stop. At first it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side (JDM, so on the left), so assuming a bad u-joint in the CV, I replaced it. The sound didn't go away, and it's just as bad as before, except I really can't tell which side of the vehicle it's coming from. I've noticed the sound goes away when 4wd is engaged. This made me think that there could be an issue with the ADD system, possibly the sleeve not fully disengaging when in 2wd?

I've been searching for days for anyone who has encountered a similar issue and come up dry. If anyone's got any info or help they could give me that would be awesome!

UPDATE: I tested the vacuum on both sides of the ADD actuator, and it's not malfunctioning. I did however permanently lock the system (ran a single vacuum line to the port that locks the sleeve, disconnected the switches and capped all other open lines) and the rattle seems to have improved slightly. I looked at both CV's and front driveshaft again, and while they all have a little play, from what I've been reading it's within normal specs.

Guess I gotta keep digging...

Thanks,

Hilux'n

Last edited by Hilux'n; 07-25-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hilux'n
Hey guys,

I have a 91 diesel Surf, 5 speed auto with ADD, push-button 4wd with a 4hi-n-4lo selector and Live hubs. I have a terrible rattling/clattering noise, coming from the front end. It usually occurs when driving at slower speeds (under 40km/h), but mostly just while braking to a stop. At first it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side (JDM, so on the left), so assuming a bad u-joint in the CV, I replaced it. The sound didn't go away, and it's just as bad as before, except I really can't tell which side of the vehicle it's coming from. I've noticed the sound goes away when 4wd is engaged. This made me think that there could be an issue with the ADD system, possibly the sleeve not fully disengaging when in 2wd?

I've been searching for days for anyone who has encountered a similar issue and come up dry. If anyone's got any info or help they could give me that would be awesome!

UPDATE: I tested the vacuum on both sides of the ADD actuator, and it's not malfunctioning. I did however permanently lock the system (ran a single vacuum line to the port that locks the sleeve, disconnected the switches and capped all other open lines) and the rattle seems to have improved slightly. I looked at both CV's and front driveshaft again, and while they all have a little play, from what I've been reading it's within normal specs.

Guess I gotta keep digging...

Thanks,

Hilux'n
BUMP: Still searching, anyone have any ideas to check??

Thanks,

Hilux'n