Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

91 4x4 pickup v6 3.0 intermittent starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 4x4 pickup v6 3.0 intermittent starting issue

Hey all! this is my first post and I have a very confusing problem. So starting a few months ago I was experiencing starter solenoid "lockups" in which case I smacked it and thus was able to start my truck. I dealt with this up until last week when finally no matter what I did I couldnt get my truck started. So I went ahead and enlisted help from people in the parking lot and roll started the truck. When I got home, I shut it off. Then for at least 20 times I was able to start the truck normally, it fired right up. Later that day, no dice, same issue wouldnt start. So I replaced the starter and the truck started right up for a part of the day. later that evening, of course, it would not start. I cleaned up all the connections and tested I had power coming to the starter(I did 12.5 v) and then tried again. Lo and behold, it started. Next day. No start. So since then, all connections have been cleaned again and Starter relay replaced. I just came back in the house from roll starting it and of course now the truck wants to start normally. I know it probably wont later though. Anybody had this weird problem or have suggestions? Thanks!
Rap up of info: 91 Toyota 4x4 v6 pickup 5 speed
Good Battery
Good Connections
New Starter
New Starter relay ( located in the drivers side fuse box, The original is a green relay on the top)
Old 07-25-2016, 07:31 PM

Got an aftermarket immobiliser by any chance? Can u hear the relay clicking and not engaging or is there absolutely nothing happening? Could possibly be the ignition barrel aswel?
Old 07-25-2016, 10:48 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
When the problem occurs, does the silenoid clunk energetically? Weakly? Not at all?
Mind sharing cranking system schematic so we can check if it is wired correctly? (We have proven that starter relays on 1986 to 1988 22R-E trucks were wired wrong at the factory; the schematic even document it.)
Old 07-26-2016, 09:26 AM

No aftermarket immobilizer, not really sure what that is to be honest. Yes I can hear the relay clicking when I turn the key to the start position. I thought about the ignition barrel switch but would that really just all of a sudden crap out on me like that? It is sending a signal to the relay so wouldnt that mean the ignition switch is functioning properly? As far as the starter relay goes, as I said I could hear it clicking but I dont think thats the problem seeing as it originated with the starter solenoid locking up. My truck is a 1991 anyway. I just got the battery load tested and its good. I thought i might have had a bad cell in it seeing as I could start the truck right after shutting it off from having roll started it. The problem is after a minute or so, It wont start. I thought the alternator might have put enough charge it the battery to turn the starter just for that small amount of time, but the battery is good. I even tried to jump start the truck with no luck either. I'm about to go look over all the connections again and rub the terminals with grease and see what happens. the new starter I put in wont work even if I tap on it by the way. I dont hear the solenoid do anything when the key is turned to start. I'll update this when I get back in from another go at it today. thanks.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:44 AM

repeat:
pls share cranking system schematic of your truck so we can check if it is wired correctly? (We have proven that starter relays on 1986 to 1988 22R-E trucks were wired wrong at the factory; the schematic even document it.)
Old 10-05-2023, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old thread, but here's the answer: 1991 3vze 4runners do not have a starter relay. The starter solenoid is given power through the ignition switch!! The electrons have to make a run from the battery, across the engine bay to the ignition switch behind the locking cylinder, and then back across to the starter solenoid. Over time the thin wiring degrades and resistance goes up and up, and at some point, not enough current cannot pass to tell the solenoid to close its big circuit and operate the starter. The solution is to add a starter relay! Wire into the ignition switch should control a relay that sends power directly to starter. Worked for me one two different '91 3.SLOW's with intermittent click no start.
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Calderfh
Old thread, but here's the answer: 1991 3vze 4runners do not have a starter relay. The starter solenoid is given power through the ignition switch...
Correct analysis and applicable to auto transmission models.
Manual transmission models have starter relays but are wired wrong from the factory such that the current needed to energize the starter solenoid still passes through the ignition switch, creating same power loss as described above.