Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

91 4Runner Starter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 4Runner Starter Problem

Hey, I am new to this site and have a problem that has almost let me bald. Very few hairs left to pull out lol. This has been an intermittent problem since I purchased this vehicle(2+years), just gotten way worse in the last few weeks. When you turn the key to crank the truck sometimes nothing happens, The voltage gauge is reading approx 13v and drops to around 9 or so under load. I have load tested the batt, its great. Swapped batts several times. I changed the starter and no help. I went to toyota dealership and they said the starter from advance i bought was junk so i took it back to advance and they swapped it under warrenty. The starter assy came with the solenoid. I put a test light on the wire going to the solenoid and it lights up most every time (cannot determine the times it didnt light up were my fault by it not making good connection.) The battery lugs are clean and the ground looks good on both ends. I redid the ground to the chassis. The only possible problem with the wires could be between the battery and starter (arcing out in the harness?) I have changed the starter relay and ecu relay. The circuit opening relay clicks every time you turn the switch but i dont think thats the problem Other threads on here say the circuit opening relay is powered by the starter relay. I dont think i have a bad flywheel because i have rolled vehicle and it still wouldnt start. I have jiggled shift lever wondering if it is neutral safety switch. Anyone have any ideas? Only thing I know to do is pull big wire that goes from starter to batt and check for nicks/corrosion and it is a pain to get out. This truck is in excellent condition with only 130k miles. It runs GREAT when it cranks. We have a new baby and I cannot let the wife take the truck b/c im scared shell get left stranded! When it wont crank, you might get it to sometimes if you keep trying the key. Sometimes ill have to let it sit for a few hours and shell fire right up. Once its running I have no problems with it cutting off etc.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 AM

Progii,

Did you figure this out? Having the exact same issue.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 PM

Im assuming its an auto trans as the manual trans does not have a neutral start switch.

Power goes in order when the key is turned to start
Starter relay - then to the neutral start switch on trans then to all other (OCR, Coil, Igniter, Cold start injector and the EFI main relay) at once.

You can test the harness to the trans by unplugging it and use a HD jumper across the 2 heavy gauge wires (black, black and yellow), Try start.
The black wire is from the starter relay and the black yellow returnes to a fusable link near the fuse box that connects all other components mentioned above.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
It's not unheard of for the wires to corrode inside the ground crimp. If the by pass doesn't narrow it down I'd check that next. Put a jumper cable off the negative battery post to the ground bolt. If that solves it you need to replace the crimp and or the ground wire.