Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

91 4runner ome suspension question?

Old 02-07-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 4runner ome suspension question?

Hey everyone, I searched around for suspension ideas and have found quite a bit of good information. I'm just looking for opinions from people who maybe have run the set up I want to go with.

The 4runner is mostly used for camping/exploring fsr and hauling my dirtbike on a hitch carrier. Currently running 31's with 4.56 gear and with no plans on changing. Thinking of adding a winch up front one day.

I think I have been persuaded towards a OME set up. Not to sure if they only sell a HD and a NON HD kit.

I was thinking of adding balljoint spacers with a diff drop and slacking off torsion bars off. I just installed manual hubs thinking of the CV angles. I read somewhere about changing the upper bump stops to low pro and shimming or leaving the stock droop stops?

Torsion bars - Not to sure if I should keep stock or upgrade? If i want a winch should I upgrade?
Front shocks
Rear Shocks
Rear Coils HD - I normally have at least 200lbs at all times in the rear, add the dirtbike and its around 500lbs.
Steering stabilizer
ball joint spacers
diff drop
pan hard drop - Not sure if it is a needed part?
low pro upper bump stops- ?

Currently has factory front end bushings would it be worth the effort to pick up a kit from energy suspension poly bushing kit, or just let it buck and swap when it's really needed?

If anyone has any suggestions for other set ups let me know. I took a look at the 4" procomp bracket lift but it's just to much lift for what I need. No plans to SAS or LT atm
Old 02-07-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
When I was IFS I torqued torsion bars. But small balljoint spacers would be good too. Low profile bumps give you a bit more travel. I ran them. Believe you coil guys like land cruiser springs for 2 inch. I'm leaf springs so just read about it. Hell of a lot cheaper. I ran heavier torsion bars in hind site don't know that they did much. I wouldn't do it again in hindsight.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:08 PM

Buddy ran torqued torsion bars and I found it rode pretty rough. He needed the lift to stuff 35's. I'm sticking with 31's. I emailed ARB and they said the HD coils for OME will give 1.5" of lift over OEM in the rear and you gotta torque torsion bars to level. Was thinking I could use BJ spacers to make up the 1.5" and not torque the bars to save CV's and ride quality.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by sikt
Buddy ran torqued torsion bars and I found it rode pretty rough. He needed the lift to stuff 35's. I'm sticking with 31's. I emailed ARB and they said the HD coils for OME will give 1.5" of lift over OEM in the rear and you gotta torque torsion bars to level. Was thinking I could use BJ spacers to make up the 1.5" and not torque the bars to save CV's and ride quality.
I would do an inch lower in front. Land cruiser coills would be cheaper but would prolly need to pull them yourself. Maybe a rear coil guy will just up some info for you.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:43 AM

Running 80 series LC springs in the back of my 4runner, got about 3 inches on lift from them and they hold extra weight pretty good, ive put about 300lbs in the back and they barely sag down at all. Paid about $80 for them already pulled.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running OLD E's in the rear. I chose the non-HD and they are good enough. I have a box of chains and straps in the back along with two full size spares(33's) they are plenty stiff. IV heard the HD's are to stiff. I'm running OLD E torsion bars in the front. Love em. No issues. Make sure you go to Toyota and get all new adjusting hardware because they will most likely not be salvageable as it's a normal thing for them to seize when removing them. Like 30 bucks for all new bolts and nuts. Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:13 PM

Max running angle for front CV axle shafts is 22* if memory serves. The closer to straight/horizontal the longer they'll last. Cool trick is to press studs out of dif flanges and use 10.0 metric nuts and bolts. Make swapping shafts out much easier and quicker.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:22 PM

Are talking about making your own torsion bar adjustment hardware ?
Old 02-09-2017, 12:35 PM

He's talking about the way the CV shafts bolt to the front differential.

I'm running ball joint spacers, stock torsion bars, old man emu non HD rear coils, and bilstein shocks. It's a good set up for camping, I do pretty much the same stuff you are talking about. You can see it all in my build thread if you like, but I'd recommend it.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:48 PM

Oh! Got it, thank you for clearing that up. That's a great idea.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:25 PM

Thanks guys, I have found it to be pretty hard to get certain info regarding 2nd gen runners. I know ifs isn't that popular and most people run to a sas but ifs is beautiful for forest roads.

How about a panhard bracket? The rear will only go up 1.5inches is it needed? Also any of you done a lspv bracket?
Old 02-10-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
You don't NEED it. I ran without one for a year before I sold the runner. Only issue I had was that the rear axle was kicked to the passenger side by 1.5". Only noticed it if you looked closely.

lspv bracket, definately do it. I didn't run one and I wished every day that I did. Unless the rear was fully loaded, brakes were too soft for my taste. I primarily compression brake, but I was glad I never had to panic stop. Don't think it would have stopped very well.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:07 AM

Read this.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ngSpacer.shtml

Search this Thread