Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

91 4Runner 3.0L Rough Idle concern with a "catch"

Old 03-02-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 91 4Runner 3.0L Rough Idle concern with a "catch"

Alright ladies and gentlemen, I'm hoping to get little help from a more experienced mind(s) on a specific matter. I did basically an upper end rebuild "in frame" with alot of extras on a buddy of mines 91 4runner V6 3.0L 4WD. Rebuilt heads, machined the cams, new injectors, timing belt and tensioner and spring, water pump, p/s pump, starter, plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, radiator, and ohh yea a starter. All of which was very fun by the way, I'm an experienced mechanic in many different areas and aspects but as we all know, doing something for the first time (in a cramped a$$ garage with no lift) can be a real bastard. Anyways........I cleaned and re-sealed everything of course, put everything back in the seemingly correct way as i would anything else. Now when i went to start the engine for the first time it did "quite" want to fire, it was so close but just didnt want to go. I checked fuel rail pressure which was good, double checked wire and vacum routing, and even pulled the front cover back off and double checked the crank and cam gear alignment which was all good. So i figured i must be 180Deg out, put it back at TDC, pulled the timing belt off, rotated the crank 180 (#1 still on TDC) and put it all back together. IT GOT BETTER! it would start, but only run for about 3-5sec and die. I pulled the distributor out and turned it back 1 tooth.....and it fired right up. Little smoky at first which was expected, but that cleaned up after a few and it ran like a dream. SO WHATS THE PROBLEM RIGHT.
Well this was completed last week and i have been periodically checking up on how its been running. He said a few days later that the "Check Engine" light came on but it was still running fine. Now I talked to him today and he said that its shaky and seems to have a loss of power. So Im going to check it out this weekend but i wanted to see if there was anything that is periodically overlooked or missed that i may have not done, or any ideas on what directions i can start troubleshooting.....it would be greatly appreciated.

Cause at this point a stick of dynomite sounds GREAT!

THnX

JaY

Techademics21@yahoo.com
Old 03-07-2011, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just done a rebuild on my 3.0 and am having the same problem. Lack of power and then motor just bogs out and dies. I know it's the timing. But I have set it about 6 times now with two different guns.