86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 22RE Rebuild- Help Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 22RE Rebuild- Help Wanted

Hey guys, man am i glad I found this toyo site , I am rebuilding my 22re, I have had this truck since 91 with no problems until now, (a odd knock/tapping sound was intermittently getting worse I have taken pretty good care of it but alas I think the bearings have had enough, so I began the breakdown..... (actually a friend did and i took over, he didn't tag ANYTHING when pulling the motor ) and from what i can see, there really isn't to much damage if any at all.

My question is: can i re-use the piston's, rods, cam and rocker assembly? or should i just replace them?

What i have already done:

I had the following parts balanced at a local shop: front pulleys, fly wheel (lightened to 17lbs) piston heads, rods (shot peened) and crank shaft.

The block was cleaned and honed, the head was cleaned. machined and rebuilt (using the original parts)

My concerns:

the Crank shaft had small scratches/ indentations on one or two of the journals, the piston heads have small dings on them but none that should compromise compression (I think), my friend had the original rods shot peened can this cause a problem for them not being new?

I have done a 20r rebuild a long long time ago and I remember buying new pistons and having the rocker assembly rebuilt. but this shop and "my friend" insisted that I did not need too, I have spent approx $1200 in parts, labor, cleaning supplies and paint and I still have a $500 labor bill pending to my friend who is suppose to rebuild this. I just want to make sure i have done everything right before i let him lose on it. If it is not to much to ask can any of you guys give me a list of what to look for or common mistakes that should be avoided when rebuilding a 22re? I would very much appreciate it and any information you can provide to help assure this goes smoothly as possible.

I will provide pics soon enough to show you what I have done so far and I might be adding some mods to the mix so any suggestions on any mods that keep me California legal is also appreciated.

Last edited by BiORaVeN; 05-27-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So any comments? suggestions? guys? you there?