Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

90 toyta truck V6 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 toyta truck V6 starting problem

i have a 1990 toyota V6 pickup . it is hard to start just about all the time. it allways starts but takes alot of cranking over. winter or summer doesn't matter. when it eventualy starts it acts as if the choke is on for a few seconds, see some hints of black smoke, runs a little rough then clears right up all in a matter of a few seconds. but once in awhile it will start right up with no problem after warmed up. no engine light on. i did have some problems before with the flap in the air cleaner houseing sticking. i lubed it up and it started to work better. think it could still be that messing up ?.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Whens the last time you did a tune up? Have you checked to see how the cold start injector looks?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
With some black smoke, sounds like you're getting plenty of fuel for start up. But, if you want to check the cold start operation, while the motor is cold.... and before you try and start it, pull the cold start injector out of the plenum with electricals and fuel line intact. Disconnect the ignition coil wire from the distributor cap and ground it to the fender. Place a small jar or something under the injector and crank the motor over for a few seconds. If you get fuel in the jar, the injector's working and need to start looking for the problem elsewhere. A tune up is a good suggestion if it's not been done in a while.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

I'm having near identical problems w/ my 22re....?

I'll be checking the COR, (circuit opening relay), the flap on the MAF, cold start injector and timer, TPS.... any other Ideas?????

Thanks Repo
Old 08-23-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by hilandfrog
I'm having near identical problems w/ my 22re....?

I'll be checking the COR, (circuit opening relay), the flap on the MAF, cold start injector and timer, TPS.... any other Ideas?????

Thanks Repo

ill have to check the flap in the air cleaner again. i had it stuck when i first got the truck and it would not start. truck had been sitting for awhile and critters in the air cleaner didn't help.
ill take the MAF off my blown up 93 and try it on my 90 and see if it works.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:15 AM

tune up less than a year ago. changed the whole air cleaner top from my 93 and nothing changed. ill check the cold start injector next. im wondering if maybe the temp sensor could be bad. seem's to run rough and wants to die untill the thermostat opens. but expience in the past with other make trucks when a temp sensor go's bad it wants to choke all the time.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pperry71
tune up less than a year ago. changed the whole air cleaner top from my 93 and nothing changed. ill check the cold start injector next. im wondering if maybe the temp sensor could be bad. seem's to run rough and wants to die untill the thermostat opens. but expience in the past with other make trucks when a temp sensor go's bad it wants to choke all the time.
Right. When temp sensors go bad, the engine has a lot of trouble simply running right and not just problems starting.

My wife's 3vze began having starting problems last summer after putting a in a new fuel pump from O'Reilly not a year before. I chased that problem all around up until a few weeks ago when the O'China pump puked pulling a trailer up a big hill. Short of the story, and my theory, is the check valve began to crap out, first. I had no way to check the fuel pressure, but in my theory the check valve began allowing pressure bleed off when the vehicle was shut off making it hard to start......intermittently....whether warm or cold. Better when cold, but eventually and nearly impossible once it got hot.

If you're having problems starting whether hot or cold, I seriously doubt you have a cold start system issue. And, if once it has actually started, it runs even mostly fine, I doubt it's the temp sensor. Your symptoms is not entirely characteristic of those components. It's quite possible you have a leaky injector or two. As a scenario....you drive around, come home, shut it off, once it's just sitting, residual pressure maintained by the regulator and check valve in the pump forces fuel slowly through any leaking injectors. The fuel pressure drops off making it hard to start next time. Just a possibility, though. It may not be what's happening, but worth investigating. If you can get your hands on a pressure guage, that'd be the way to check it. Hook it up, turn the motor over without firing (disable and ground IG coil) so pressure builds. Check the pressure when cranking and monitor the guage once you've shut the ignition off. It should not bleed off. You'll have to refer to the manual on the specs, though. I don't remember them off hand.

Last edited by thook; 09-11-2011 at 11:07 AM.