Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

90 4Runner starter stuck on. Now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 4Runner starter stuck on. Now won't start

So today I come home from work and go to shut off the truck. I turn the key off and the starter keeps turning the engine. So I ran in the house and grabbed a wrench and disconnect the batt. So I waited about an hour and try to start it. I can get it to crank but will not fire up. But if I pull start the truck it will fire up and drive but the idle seems high now. I need some help figuring this one out. its a 3.0 v6 thanks

Last edited by ZONAYODA; 07-10-2015 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 07-11-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd have the battery tested. The starter turning over for an extended period of time is hard on the battery. When this happened to me the battery tested bad afterwards. It would still turn the engine over, but it was bad.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by chuckross1957
I'd have the battery tested. The starter turning over for an extended period of time is hard on the battery. When this happened to me the battery tested bad afterwards. It would still turn the engine over, but it was bad.
Batt is good and put in a new starter I had laying around still won't fire up.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You have gone through and checked all the fuses ??

Sounds to me that the first (start) coil of the COR is not pulling in for what ever reason.

once pulling the truck in gear enough air to allow the switch in the AFM to close pulling in the second coil in the COR.

Giving it fuel it starts and runs fine till shut off.

Did the starter being stuck cause the start coil in the COR to burn out ??

**** COR Circuit Opening Relay
Old 07-11-2015, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
You have gone through and checked all the fuses ??

Sounds to me that the first (start) coil of the COR is not pulling in for what ever reason.

once pulling the truck in gear enough air to allow the switch in the AFM to close pulling in the second coil in the COR.

Giving it fuel it starts and runs fine till shut off.

Did the starter being stuck cause the start coil in the COR to burn out ??

**** COR Circuit Opening Relay

I have checked all fuses all good.

Put in a new COR still won't fire up

I just pulled it again with my f250 and fires up and drives fine

As soon as I turn it off it will not start again all it dose is crank crank and crank some more.

I am loosing my mind on this one
Old 07-11-2015, 01:39 PM

You can check your spark by pulling one of your plug wires and putting an old plug in it. You will need some one to turn the key to the start position while you check the plug to see if it is sparking. You will have to ground the plug, wear a rubber glove to avoid getting a jolt. While the engine is turning over the plug should be sparking. Separately after you've reinstalled the plug wire you can spray some starting fluid in to the intake and try to start it. If it tries to start that could indicate you have a fuel problem. Also you can have someone give you a jump while you try starting it, see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by chuckross1957
You can check your spark by pulling one of your plug wires and putting an old plug in it. You will need some one to turn the key to the start position while you check the plug to see if it is sparking. You will have to ground the plug, wear a rubber glove to avoid getting a jolt. While the engine is turning over the plug should be sparking. Separately after you've reinstalled the plug wire you can spray some starting fluid in to the intake and try to start it. If it tries to start that could indicate you have a fuel problem. Also you can have someone give you a jump while you try starting it, see if that makes a difference.
I have spark and fuel

Still won't start
Old 07-11-2015, 04:22 PM

So I put in a new distributor and it fired up once but as soon as I turned it off it will not start again
Old 07-11-2015, 04:50 PM

Sometimes there are differences in the circuits between the start mode and the run mode. Maybe you have a hotter spark in the start mode or the fuel pump will be on high during start, then normal during run. These differences are designed to make it easier and quicker to start your engine. I don't know anything about the particulars of the wiring on this engine. One thing you could try is to run a wire directly to your starter solenoid, removing the original smaller wire and connecting the new 12 gauge wire in its place. Put the key in the run position touch the other end of the wire to the positive post to activate the starter...make sure you're not in gear. What you're doing is starting the truck in the run position, not the start position. So this is the same/similar as what you are doing when you pull start the truck. There are some very knowledgeable people on the forum, who know the particular details of this engine and wiring. I am sure they can give you some detailed info on the wiring of this vehicle.

Last edited by chuckross1957; 08-07-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

By chance does this have any sort of alarm??

Have you figured out just what caused the starter to not disengage ??

Some sort of damage to the ignition switch or the ignition circuit??
Old 07-13-2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
By chance does this have any sort of alarm??

Have you figured out just what caused the starter to not disengage ??

Some sort of damage to the ignition switch or the ignition circuit??
Nope no alarm.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:36 PM

Welp after days of head scratching I figured it out. The cold start injector was stuck on. So there is something wrong in that circuit but I can't find it. So I just unplugged it and the thing runs and drive fine now.

If Any one knows about that part of the wiring and could hook a brother up with some help it would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks everyone for the help And ideas.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:17 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Check your starter relay to see if it is sticking. The signal that causes the starter to run is the same as the one that activates the cold start injector. The fact that you've had problems with both the starter and the CSI sticking on is a common thread.