Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'90 4Runner Engine rebuild or swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'90 4Runner Engine rebuild or swap?

Hey, My buddy gave me his old '90 4Runner 4x4 that he bought brand new back in the day that is currently at 357K all on the original engine.
Its leaking a lot of oil from the front seal and from the rear seal. Needs a timing belt change and a couple of other things. I figured I'm just gonna pull the engine and work on it and contemplating a rebuild. The valves are really noisy.
I've never done anything this complex, but I'd like to learn.
I just dont want to throw money at a lost cause. Would it be easier to just get my same engine out of a wrecked car and put it into mine? But then I don't know what could go wrong with that in a little while. At least with my current engine I know what I need to fix... Of I could attempt some sort of swap and get a newer engine but I'm not even sure what that will cost.
I'm gonna start pulling my engine but I don't know what to do from there haha. Any ideas? Trying to do this the most cost effective way?
Thanks and sorry for noob-ness.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
The fact that your current engine is running, shows that there are probably no issues with the block or head(s) that would prevent a successful rebuild.
I would rebuild what you got, if it were mine.
You got 4 cyl, or v-6?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by millball
You got 4 cyl, or v-6?

THIS. It helps a lot.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stevesk88
THIS. It helps a lot.
My bad, its the v6. I dont know how i forgot to add that haha
Old 07-14-2014, 11:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

My question with that kind of mileage what kind of shape is the rest of the 4Runner in??

What is your long term goal here??

A weekend off road vehicle or a daily driver to commute the 100 miles to work every day??

The 3.0 is what it is some love them some hate them and the whole range in between.

It could be time for a ground up rebuild
Old 07-15-2014, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
My question with that kind of mileage what kind of shape is the rest of the 4Runner in??

What is your long term goal here??

A weekend off road vehicle or a daily driver to commute the 100 miles to work every day??

Well, the first thing I did when I got it is paint it (my dad enjoys that portion) so body wise the car is in really nice shape. Interior needs a little bit of work on some of the seats but for the most part it was well kept.

Long term goal is kind of up in the air. I would like to keep it and make it my car when I'm up at school because it would be nice to have 4wheel drive in the winter and I am only like 2 miles from campus. BUT I have yet to figure out the starter problem where it just *clicks*. I've read alot of threads and am stuck. The original starter is gone (my friend said he replaced the starter like 3 times with remanufactured ones) and always had the same problem shortly after so he just banged on it. I got one, checked the contacts, looked fine; put it in and have started getting click just a month later. If I can't fix this, I don't want it as a daily driver.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:03 AM

Check compression and do a leak down test. If both turn out okay, replace the timing components and seals, and drive it until it's dead!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:04 AM

Also, posting that starter issue as a separate thread will likely get more feedback. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I was not thinking about the body that is the least of my concern Most all my Toyota`s have at least 4 or more different colors .

I was speaking of the mechanical condition Steering and Suspension and Brakes.

The brake and fuel lines.

Those unimportant things to some people.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:20 AM

Most of that stuff is in really good shape. Seems fine. Im thinking about just replacing the seals and running it until it dies haha. But If thats all i do, do i need to pull the engine at all?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
You need to pull the engine or the tranny to access the rear main seal.
Might be best to pull the engine to reseal 'cause then you can more easily access many of the hard to get to vacuum and small water hoses that cover the 3vze.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:54 AM

Y'all have been really helpful! Much better than when I was driving nissan and needed help in their forums haha!
Anyone know where I can find a good engine removal thread with pictures? I have the manual but my problem is, I have difficulty knowing/locating all the hose and other stuff that needs to come off.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Roark
Check compression and do a leak down test. If both turn out okay, replace the timing components and seals, and drive it until it's dead!

So I got the engine out! Can i check compression and leak down with it out? Would i build up enough pressure?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by fabby5
So I got the engine out! Can i check compression and leak down with it out? Would i build up enough pressure?
Would have been a lot easier with the engine still in but it's still doable just have to be careful.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
Would have been a lot easier with the engine still in but it's still doable just have to be careful.
How would i go about doing it? is that in my FSM or different? Ive been watching youtube videos on how to do it but no one has an engine out.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM

How would i go about doing it? is that in my FSM or different? Ive been watching youtube videos on how to do it but no one has an engine out.
You do it the same way. Usually you do a compression test with the engine still in the vehicle and if the test shows bad then you pull the engine for repair or rebuild. Not normally pull it first.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Hey, My buddy gave me his old '90 4Runner 4x4 that he bought brand new back in the day that is currently at 357K all on the original engine.
Its leaking a lot of oil from the front seal and from the rear seal. Needs a timing belt change and a couple of other things. I figured I'm just gonna pull the engine and work on it and contemplating a rebuild. The valves are really noisy.
I've never done anything this complex, but I'd like to learn.
I just dont want to throw money at a lost cause. Would it be easier to just get my same engine out of a wrecked car and put it into mine? But then I don't know what could go wrong with that in a little while. At least with my current engine I know what I need to fix... Of I could attempt some sort of swap and get a newer engine but I'm not even sure what that will cost.
I'm gonna start pulling my engine but I don't know what to do from there haha. Any ideas? Trying to do this the most cost effective way?
Thanks and sorry for noob-ness.
Knowing what I've learned now through the last 10 months or so since I bought my 1991 4runner with 216k miles.. I'd sell the 3.0 for whatever it will go for and get a newer replacement engine. The well known 3.4.

my 2 cents.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gevo
Knowing what I've learned now through the last 10 months or so since I bought my 1991 4runner with 216k miles.. I'd sell the 3.0 for whatever it will go for and get a newer replacement engine. The well known 3.4. my 2 cents.
X2. Add 2 more cents from me also. I didn't sell my 3.4 swapped truck because I wasn't happy with it. It done everything I asked it to and I didn't have to worry about it when romping on it.
I wanted a 4runner for more room inside, but I'm going with a V8.
BTW I have a complete 3.4 with an automatic for sale.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Update, I perfomed the compression test. 1 stood out. I got 0 compression in cylinder #3 dry and it increased to about 50psi when i added oil. 5 and 1 were both about 150. What does this mean?????
Old 07-21-2014, 05:00 PM

Update, I perfomed the compression test. 1 stood out. I got 0 compression in cylinder #3 dry and it increased to about 50psi when i added oil. 5 and 1 were both about 150. What does this mean?????
Rebuild or swap in another engine.

Quick Reply: '90 4Runner Engine rebuild or swap?