Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'89 standard cab pickup as daily driver...

Old 11-16-2011, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'89 standard cab pickup as daily driver...

Hello all new to the forum so thought I would introduce myself/ask a quick question.

First off not new to Toyota's I have loved them since I picked up my 91 corolla DX. I got it used with 182K on it for a steal and nothing but basic maintenance later and it has just over 400k and still running, if anything a little tired. This was mys first step in to the Yota world and I liked what I saw.

Years later I find myself leaning towards getting rid of the Corolla, which almost brings tears to my eyes, because I have always wanted a light pickup. Now after weighing my options I decided I would go for the truck that seemed the most cared for over the years that I could find. I didn't need 4W and even though I'm 6'5" a regular cab works just fine for me as I'm going for fuel economy as much as the ability to haul a small load.

After taking my time I found an 89' regular cab 4x2 with a rebuilt 22RE (10k on motor) 167k on the body, a new radiator, plugs, wires, brakes, battery and a fresh oil change all for a great deal. The body is in decent condition and the rear bumper has been replaced with a reinforced version. It is apparent it has been well cared for as the power does not suffer at all and has no lagging gears, the clutch is nice and tight and it drives super straight without really any pull to either side.

Aside from the engine being rebuilt and the radiator replaced I'm pretty sure the rest of the truck is stock. I also do not have access to the person that made these major repairs to see what else was done over the years although the truck was purchased from a trusted source.

A lot of back story I know but all necessary for question. I bought this truck because I love Toyota's and I want the rig to last as long as I can make it last. With everything I know about the rig I was wondering if there was anything else I should pay attention to specific to this truck/engine aside from the basics. My basic schedule for the Corolla always served me well. I change my oil every 2500-3000k, my fuel filter every year or so, the cap, rotor and plugs every 2-3 oil changes (although I check them every change for corrosion) and my air filter every 10k or so again after a visual check. Aside from that hoses and belts I check periodically for wear and replace if needed but those are more sporadic.

Any suggestions of things I should add to the list or perhaps major items suggested to check seeing as how it is a used vehicle that would help?

IE timing chain, oil pump, fuel pump, etc... Granted I know I can look up basic maintenance schedules in my manual or on here but I'm asking because while I do most of my own work, I am not mechanically inclined enough to know what to look for as far as symptoms of bigger problems and aside from what I was told about rig prior to purchase and what I can figure put just by lookin under the hood, I don't know a whole hell of a lot about the maintenance of the rig over the years.

Lastly, while I got the truck for a great deal I'm not a rich man So I figure I would fish to see what real experiences might tell me about basic <the cheaper the better> tweaks/upgrades I can make that will increase fuel economy. I read swapping out the air cleaner is relatively inexpensive and somewhat easy but I'm not sure if that was specific to the 22RE in the 2/3rd gen 4runners.

Thanks for all the help and it's good to finally be a member.

Cheers
Old 11-16-2011, 03:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome!

Sounds like you're set for a while.

I don't personally recommend any type of modifications to a good design. I WOULD NOT mess with the air filter other than changing the element.

2wd 22re w/manual tranny should get you some really decent fuel economy. Not like a Corolla of course, but I'd expect high 20s.

The only thing to keep an eye out for is the inevitable timing chain guide destruction. It will manifest itself at some point down the road as a slight rattle at certain RPMs. Should be quite a number of miles before you have to worry about that, though. Which engine did your Corolla have?

Good Luck!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:29 AM

timing chain is definitely a problem on the 22re. if its in the budget i would replace it with metal guides when you change it someday. i would recommend a K&N(red) air filter for improved gas mileage and a little bit of power. my 89 22re 4x4 went from 19 to 22MPG and i noticed a small power increase when installing the K&N.
Also, it would help other on future posts if you would post your location and vehicle in your signature. (can be done from user CP)
Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a cold air intake on my '93 w/ the V6. It isn't worth putting a lot of time and money into an expensive intake setup if you don't have the exhaust to compliment it. Without it, there is very little power gain. It is mostly added noise. I would just go with a K&N drop in filter.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM

if youre gonna do exhaust i would suggest single in dual out flowmaster 40. I would remove the cat if you dont have to pass smog. its kinda loud, but only when you get on it. its got a deep rumble.

Last edited by Jkelley429; 11-16-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:03 AM

Wow! Super thanks to everyone who contributed. It's always fun posting for the first time on an established forum. You never know the reception your seemingly innocent question or comment might garner

Originally Posted by TNRabbit

//
The only thing to keep an eye out for is the inevitable timing chain guide destruction. It will manifest itself at some point down the road as a slight rattle at certain RPMs. Should be quite a number of miles before you have to worry about that, though. Which engine did your Corolla have?

Good Luck!
HAH! Never dealt with a vehicle with a timing chain as opposed to a belt. This is somewhat disconcerting as I've read that the 22RE is an interference engine and wouldn't you know it, there is a slight rattle at certain RPMs. I didn't even think of it when I was driving it around as it's an old rig. Sounds like a short piece of low gauge wire that is just caught between 2 hollow pieces of metal and is rattling around at certain spots, mostly a short range of lower RPM, sometimes briefly at idle...I take it this is a bad sign. If this is the symptom of a timing chain failure I will get myself over to the other threads stat. One question to ask on it though as the rattle isn't that bad, how long would one estimate I have before then inevitable? or am I working on borrowed time already..

Also, my Corolla has the first generation 4AFE engine.

Originally Posted by Jkelley429
if youre gonna do exhaust i would suggest single in dual out flowmaster 40. I would remove the cat if you dont have to pass smog. its kinda loud, but only when you get on it. its got a deep rumble.
I do not have to pass smog or even DEQ. I am outside of registration zone

I've actually thought about it simply because of the issues a clogged up Cat gave me on my gals 91 civic hatchback. Wound up just taking a pipe to the inside of it to knock out all the buildup as I didnt have $150 for the replacement. I also don't mind noise. My Corolla had the muffler fall off many years ago and I never got around to replacing it. I set off car alarms when I start that stock 4 banger. People always think it's a sleeper at stoplights but no, I'm just cheap

Thanks again for all the help folks and yes, K+N FtW!
Old 11-16-2011, 03:27 PM

no problem, welcome to yotatech and i look forward to seeing more posts from you.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not talking from personal experience, but as you know the 22re is known as an awesome motor. i've never heard anything good about a rebuilt one that wasn't done with oem parts however.

i dont like to bad-mouth companies, but i havn't heard anything truly good about any rebuilt/reman.ed motor. that being said, keep a stern eye on yours and dont judge if it blows up.

my aftermarket t-chain is not doing very well after 10,000 miles. sad but true
Old 11-16-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by 92dlxman
not talking from personal experience, but as you know the 22re is known as an awesome motor. i've never heard anything good about a rebuilt one that wasn't done with oem parts however.

i dont like to bad-mouth companies, but i havn't heard anything truly good about any rebuilt/reman.ed motor. that being said, keep a stern eye on yours and dont judge if it blows up.

my aftermarket t-chain is not doing very well after 10,000 miles. sad but true
Thanks for the warning. As I explained above not a lot is known to me about the rebuild so I will definitely keep an eye. No worries about me miss judging the motor though. I became a firm believer in Yota's with my Corolla so even if mine <knock on wood> blows up or something more awful it won't deter me. It will just piss me off a whole helluva lot

Also, after doing a quick oil change <I know it was done within 500 miles but call me superstitious I always check rotor, cap plugs wires on a new vehicle and I ALWAYS change the oil again too. Valvoline 10w30 high mileage> I'm pretty damn sure it's the timing chain. The tinging is coming from the front of the engine block area which, if I'm not mistaken, is where the chain attaches to the top pulley. <sigh> to the tech write ups!

Although thinking about it, I have read that the valves on a 22re like to go a little out of whack every now and then so I supposed thats what the little slap slap slappy could be...there is just no consistency to the rhythm of the tap so I figured it to be a chain...

Last edited by MalfadorZ; 11-16-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:24 PM

Wow, with 10k on rebuilt, i would drive it. Don't worry about problems at this time unless you hear strange grinding noises. I would check belts to make sure they aren't cracked, make sure it has all fluids, make sure it has fuel in it, and drive it,lol. Don't worry about timing chain unless vehicle starts acting strange that would involve a timing chain problem. I am very critical at times about my vehicles and most of the time small rattles and strange feelings and smells worry me but to this day nothing has happened (well not to my 2wd anyways.)
P.S. Toyota automatically comes with a worry click ting noise.

Last edited by bassbro1; 11-16-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I drive a '87 2 wheel myself and they have some descent get up and go. I think the 89-95 has a better ride so think you will enjoy the truck the more you drive it. Once you get everything up to par, basic maintaimace is all you will really need. Mileage wise I can get 26 mpg, but that at 70-75 all of the time. If you keep your foot out of it it will do better.

Welcome to Yotatech and think you will be glad you got the truck.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by bassbro1
//
P.S. Toyota automatically comes with a worry click ting noise.
Lol, comes stock eh? fantastic then

thanks all again for help and warm welcome