86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 Pickup DLX Cruise Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 Pickup DLX Cruise Control Problem

I have a 1989 Extra Cab DLX 4x4 Pickup that I just bought and everything works but the cruise.. No Light or anything at all when ya turn it on.

I have been looking around the web and I can find aftermarket installition stuff, or OEM installation in a non cruise truck stuff, or diagnoses for the cruise which requires reading codes from the cruise dash light (which doesnt come on at all)

I have a pdf of the Manual and the wiring is pretty complex it looks like on the schematics and I am getting ready to look around and see if anything is unplugged but I want to know if there is any information anywhere on this subject or if anyone may know what the problem is before I start breaking things...
Old 09-25-2014, 06:29 PM

Without looking at the wiring for it I'll give it a try.
Does your speedometer work?
Are you brake lights stuck on?
Some vehicles have a clutch pedal switch to cut off the cruise if you press the clutch. Not sure if older Toyotas have that, if yours is manual.
Are you going fast enough when you try to set the cruise? Most have to be faster than 25-30mph.
Bulb could be burnt out? My 4runner cruise light turns on with it sitting in park.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:30 PM

Does your speedometer work? YES
Are you brake lights stuck on? I HOPE NOT
Some vehicles have a clutch pedal switch to cut off the cruise if you press the clutch. Not sure if older Toyotas have that, if yours is manual. YES MANUAL (W56C) I WILL CHECH THIS SWITCH
Are you going fast enough when you try to set the cruise? Most have to be faster than 25-30mph. HAVE TRIED IT AT ALL SPEEDS
Bulb could be burnt out? My 4runner cruise light turns on with it sitting in park. POSSIBLY, BUT THE BULB SHOULDNT AFFECT THE FUNCTION??

I am going to take off the panel over the cruise computer tomorrow and check plugs on it and the switches under the dash looking for obvious easy things (if its not pouring rain here in Oregon)

----------------------------------------------

This is all I could find as far as troubleshooting and it is for a 1992

There are two types of cruise controls used on your truck, Type A and Type B.
So here is how to test the cruise control system:
Type A
  1. Turn the ignition switch on.
  2. Push the SET/COAST switch on, and keep it on.
  3. Push the main switch on.
  4. Check that the indicator light "CRUISE" lights-on in the combination meter and after 3 seconds check that the indicator light "CRUISE" blinks.
  5. Turn the SET/COAST switch off.
  6. Meet the conditions listed below.
  7. Read the diagnostic trouble code on the indicator light "CRUISE".
    HINT: Indication codes appear in order from No.1.
Indication is stopped, when the MAIN switch is repushed.

Type B
  1. If the system is canceled by a malfunction in either the actuator, speed sensor or cruise control switch circuit while driving with the cruise control on the cruise control indicator light "CRUISE" will blink 5 times.
  2. While stopping, connect terminals 3 and 11 of the Data Link Connector 1.
    HINT: If the ignition switch is turned off, the diagnostic trouble code will be erased from the ECU memory.
  3. Read the diagnostic trouble code on the indicator light "CRUISE".
    HINT: Indication codes appear in order from No.1.
This should pinpoint the problem for you.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:43 AM

Is there a fuse or relay somewhere for the cruise?
Old 09-26-2014, 08:29 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
This page is for a '93. I don't think you have the same diagnostic system, but the wiring may be similar.

Get out your multimeter and check for voltages where they should be (main power, stop light, actuators, etc.) Just "looking" at a connector is a fine start but slow; if you find (for instance) that you have ground on the parking brake lead you've found your problem.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
This page is for a '93. I don't think you have the same diagnostic system, but the wiring may be similar.

Get out your multimeter and check for voltages where they should be (main power, stop light, actuators, etc.) Just "looking" at a connector is a fine start but slow; if you find (for instance) that you have ground on the parking brake lead you've found your problem.
cool.. this looks to be more my speed..
I had this to go on..

Old 09-26-2014, 09:23 PM

I am taking it apart to get it into the paint shop this weekend.. Hopefully I will have a little time to play around with the cruise too..
Old 09-27-2014, 12:46 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The hardware for the cruise control is still there??

Lots of time it fails and gets thrown away.

Did you think to call the person you bought it from and ask.

I could sell one of mine and never think to mention the cruise control was removed.

I have never figured out why one would use it I would fall asleep.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
The hardware for the cruise control is still there??

Lots of time it fails and gets thrown away.

Did you think to call the person you bought it from and ask.

I could sell one of mine and never think to mention the cruise control was removed.

I have never figured out why one would use it I would fall asleep. I'm a speeder...
This truck is in excelent condition besides the faded paint.. And except for the 31" tires and aftermarket wheels it is bone stock and well taken care of.. The first cigarette ever lit inside the cab was lit by me.. I am thinking that somebody who took this good of care of his vehicle probobly just didnt realize it did not work.. But who knows..

The guy I bought it from told me he thought it worked but apparently discovered it didnt when he was bringing it over for me to look at (buy)

I am going to have to make time to look at all that.. Hopefully today, I have put off the paint till next week so I aint tearing it apart for that.. I just need a way to insert time into the day, maybe move to a 32 hour day so I can get something that I wanna do done...

Last edited by UZI - SUICIDE; 09-27-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
For what it's worth, both schematics show a vacuum pump, which is probably only present on turbo models (though I haven't checked whether I have one ...).

In both cases, pin 6 is main power (Engine fuse), and pin 4 is for the indicator light. On the hope that your Cruise Control is at least similar to '91 and '93, I'd start there.

Last, getting a truck that clean might be the perfect excuse to finally stop smoking. Just sayin'.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:11 AM

Aww.. my reply didnt post.. I messed it up somehow.. Lemmie try to see if i can do this again...

It said a buncha not so important stuff and then:

If I am understanding this correctly I could test T-4 of the ECU Plug and if it fails
I Test T-12 of the ECU Plug and if it passes
I could fairly safely assume it is the bulb replace the bulb and check T-4 again
If they both pass (I will know the bulb is out but doesnt affect the circut) but I will know the problem isnt the switch

If T-12 fails
I would test T-2 of the Main Relay Plug if it passes
I can assume the switch is bad, replace the entire lever thing and test T-12 again

If T-2 fails I can assume a bad reloay or a bad connection between the relay and power source or blown fuse

Does this sound ok assuming the 89s plug holes do the same thing the 93 plug holes do
the 89 has the switch on the column like a blinker lever as compared to on the wheel or in the dash.. I was kinda afraid to poke around but i supppose I cant make it not work any worse so I make it better or I do without cruise like i already am no matter what I fry (in the cruise system)

This time i am gonna copy in case it dont post again...

Last edited by UZI - SUICIDE; 10-04-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:21 AM

89's seem to get skipped over in the lists of manuals online.. The only FSM for 89 i have found is a bad link.. I got a old Haynes in storage but they are pretty vague alotta the times on stuff like this too..

If anyone has any 89 stuff I would like to see it..
Old 10-04-2014, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by scope103

Start at the end and work toward the source.. Not start in the middle like I want to...

Check all the switches to the clutch brakes etc. because the clutch one could make the CRUISE indicator light not work without any indication that it is the culprit if it were stuck or shorted..

OK.. Thats what I will do first.. I like making easy things hard a lotta the time...
Old 10-08-2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by UZI - SUICIDE
89's seem to get skipped over in the lists of manuals online.. The only FSM for 89 i have found is a bad link.. I got a old Haynes in storage but they are pretty vague alotta the times on stuff like this too..

If anyone has any 89 stuff I would like to see it..

Found it.. Compiled it... Uploaded it.. Sharing it...

The big dogs probobly already got this or something or many things like it,
For the new guys that dont..

Hilux Manual - 1985-1994 Toyota Pickup and 4-Runner Gasoline FSM 22R-(E)
on my Box Cloud.. Read it there or Download it to your drive

https://app.box.com/s/31zn167n2jrgngy4gtow

< Oh yeah.. I gave up on the cruise control... >

Last edited by UZI - SUICIDE; 10-08-2014 at 03:33 PM.