Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89-95 Rear Truck bumper on 90-95 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89-95 Rear Truck bumper on 90-95 4runner?

Hey guys, This may have been answered before, but I couldn't seem to come up with anything through search. Anyways I was wondering if a 89-95 truck rear bumper would mount up on a 90-95 4runner with out modification? If not what would need to be done to make it fit. Thanks-Dean
Old 06-22-2009, 05:13 PM

You can make anything fit but, it will look like crap IMO.
I don't think it will blend with the body lines at all.
I would try photoshopping a pic before I'd do any buying or fab work, you might change your mind or I may be wrong on the looks.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Not even close. Seriously, not even close.

4runner goes around the truck, has a different back end, and mounts to the body.

The pickup is straight with a dip so you can see the plate, mounts to the frame.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:31 PM

rear bumper would most likely look a mess. Try marlincrawler.com for a reasonably priced, functional, and good looking bumper. Trail gear has another one. Now, the front bumper... I was wondering if you could put the fully wrap-around front bumper from the pickup of the same years onto the 4runner. The 90-91 style front bumper is closer to what I'm looking for stylistically (with the signal lamps recessed into the metal and not on the outside of it like the 92-95), unfortunately it's 3 pieces bolted together - a flat bar and 2 end caps. Marginally ugly, but I could learn to live with it if I needed to do a whole butt-ton of work to modify the pickup bumper/mounting brackets to fit my 4runner. Anyone? Anyone? I've asked this before, but never gotten anyone who had the answer before I go junkyard shopping.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

Well I just removed a 95 front bumper today. IT all looks exactly the same except for sticking out farther, and the fender mounts just might be different. But they all eventually mount the same, if you tear it down far enough and replace it with pickup parts... That make sence??

I used to have a 90 4runner bumper on my truck before I put a tube bumper on.

Last edited by Jay351; 06-22-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 AM

Sorry I should have specified which bumper I am looking at. http://www.addictedoffroad.com/bumpers.html It looks like the same design except the truck bumper comes with the supports welded on and the 4runner you have to buy them separately.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Alpine.$tar^
Sorry I should have specified which bumper I am looking at. http://www.addictedoffroad.com/bumpers.html It looks like the same design except the truck bumper comes with the supports welded on and the 4runner you have to buy them separately.
thats a solid negative. They offer a 4runner bumper there, are you trying to avoid spending the extra few bucks on the optional 4runner support pieces? Those bumpers are well secured for anything but welding on an extra swing-out-tire-carrier or severe impacts on rocks that may well kill your vehicle in other ways than body damage. Feel free to invest in the extra metal right off the bat. If I shelled out a few hundred dollars for a new bumper, I'd want to make sure I wouldn't have to paint it and then grind that paint down to weld on the supports if I change my mind later. If you can order it from addicted fully welded and ready to go, might I suggest you just do that.

Otherwise, Marlincrawler sells their tube rear bumper for $30 more than addicted offroad's bumper (without the 'optional' support) with a similar support integrally welded in anyhow. http://www.marlincrawler.com/armor/r...s-and-4runners
Old 06-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Alpine.$tar^
They don't mount the same because the frames are different in that area. The pickup tailgates sit higher than the 4runner ones do, so the bumper won't work. It also slides inside the frame rails on the 4runner instead of mounting to the sides like the pickup one.

The side supports are optional for a reason. Some people don't wheel their trucks, some do. The guys that do want the optional side support to wrap under. These supports still allow the bumper to be unbolted and taken off after welding for paint, or touch up. It also increases the strength in case a recovery is needed.

FWIW, even Marlin Crawler recommends welding his bumpers to the frame after final install. So, either way, some welding will be required.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I didnt do the recomended weld on my marlin rear bumper, I smacked it offroad (stupid long bum!!) and it dented my bed a little... No biggie, but somthing I will eventually do....